MXR Distortion + Vintage v.s new editions ?

Cowinacape

• Members

Has anyone had a chance to try and old version of the Dist. + against a new production one? If so is there any appreciable difference between the two? Enough to warrant going after a vintage one over a modern production one?

Also any thoughts on the MXR 115 Distortion (Red three knob number) and how it compares to the regular Dist +?

• Members

distortion + is a really bad sounding pedal. its real fizzy and staticy sounding. its what solidstate amp distortion sounds like. buy an old and expensive one as you like and its still going to sound bad.

the distortion 3 is less gain and sounds much, much better. it actually sounds kinda like a tube amps distortion. guitarworld reviewed it a few months ago and included a video review- by now the video might be available online.

i own the distortion + and the dist3.:)

• Members

think Husker, think 'Never mind the Bollocks." think RRhoads, too.

all fizzy and buzzy :rolleyes:

as for Husker sounds = great amp+chorus+d+, lets keep in mind that for many years, Mould's amp by choice was a Yamaha G100 2x12 rig.

cant get any more workhorse, and non-tube, than that.

• Members

think Husker, think 'Never mind the Bollocks." think RRhoads, too.

all fizzy and buzzy
:rolleyes:

as for Husker sounds = great amp+chorus+d+, lets keep in mind that for many years, Mould's amp by choice was a Yamaha G100 2x12 rig.

cant get any more workhorse, and non-tube, than that.

i read he used a fender concert and something else. but id ditn think it was a yamaha.

• Members

Well to be honest, I am trying to cop a Randy Rhodes sort of sound (just wish I had some of his talent
:cry:
). through a slightly modded Cieratone 800. Great input so far though, thanks
:thu:

completely off-topic, but i have to correct you and say that the spelling is ceriatone :D

also it's not pronounced 'sierra'. it's a malay word that means bright or happy.

haha apologies for being anal; a friend here has the 18 watt marshall, and he pronounces it sierra. i haven't corrected him yet but i will.

carry on :freak:

• Members

i dont know about whos claiming who used it. i was describing how it sounded. fizzy, buzzy, and static- all accurate adjectives.
:)

i'll take that assessment the exact same as i take "tele = country/twangy guitar"

ears/hands/eyes of the beholder, but by no means the only way it sounds.

i read he used a fender concert and something else. but id ditn think it was a yamaha.

appears we both are sorta right, although when i saw him some 25+yrs back, there was no fender in sight. yammy 2x12, and an unmarked & unmiked cab.

How The H

• Members

completely off-topic, but i have to correct you and say that the spelling is ceriatone
:D

also it's not pronounced 'sierra'. it's a malay word that means bright or happy.

haha apologies for being anal; a friend here has the 18 watt marshall, and he pronounces it sierra. i haven't corrected him yet but i will.

carry on
:freak:

No offense taken :thu: I don't think I have spelled ceriatone the same way twice, every time I get it wrong, just finally gave up trying to get it right :D

• Members

I've tried both the vintage one (block logo) and the recent one. Both sound completely different.

The reissue is very compressed, thin, and "sharp" sounding, for lack of a better term.

I really liked the vintage one though. It was very "open" and had more bass response. I hear that they can vary though, as MXR used different components sometimes. Also, if you want to sound like Randy Rhoads, you need to use it to drive an already overdriven amplifier. The MXR won't get you there by itself.

• Members

I had a new one (bought a couple of years back) It sounded gritty to me and I didn't really get on with it. It was ok with an eq after it, but on it's own a little disapointing, i've heard the old ones sound better, but i'm not gonna buy another one to find out:lol:

• Members

I have an old block-logo one. It does have to be used through an already dirty amp if you want it to sound good. I like it, though. It's nice to give your sound a little more grit when you need it. It doesn't boost the volume much, but as was mentioned, a few component changes can fix that.

• Members

I have an old Distortion + (late 70s I think) and I love it. Then again, I'm a big Husker Du fan. It is buzzy, but not in a bad way. Guess it just depends on the sound you want...

It also sounds really awesome run through my Keeley Rat (on Mighty Mouse boost mode)!

• Members

I have an old Distortion + (late 70s I think) and I love it. Then again, I'm a big Husker Du fan. It is buzzy, but not in a bad way. Guess it just depends on the sound you want...

!

Same here, and being a huge Husker fan has made me interested in getting one for the longest time...I saw Bob Mould this summer and he was still using one.:thu:

(BTW if you get a chance check out my Husker Du youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/huskerchout )

Oh, and I got to hang out with Grant Hart a few weeks ago! He let me play his guitar!

• Members

The distortion+ may be my favorite pedal ever. I have a few from the early eighties that sound amazing. I've heard from many people that the new ones aren't nearly as full-sounding. I will say that I have better luck using lower-output pickups (duncan 'vintage' jazzmaster) through a dist+. It took me a little while to realize they don't sound as buzzy if you don't crank the distortion knob.

Archived