octave pedal

• Members

Octave pedals are not pitch shifters, they produce a sort of square wave tone 1 or 2 octaves below your signal. In my experience, the octave sounds crap on its own. It sounds much better when blended in with your original signal. It sounds like you want to be able to play something and have it come out an octave lower. I won't ask why, but you're better off using a pitch shifter like the whammy or ps-5 etc than an octaver, because dry octave won't sound anything like guitar.

The PS-5 needs to know the key of the song or whatever, is that necessary if i'm only going to use for an octave for the time being (im guessing no)?

• Members

An octave divider would be more like an OC-2/OC-3 than a whammy. Octave dividers use these chips called flip flops to divide the frequency of a square wave signal. It gets the square wave signal from filtering your guitar signal. Whammys and other pitch shifters use digital signal processing in order to shift the sound digitally, which retains the 'sound' of the guitar.

• Members

ah cool thanks.

when using the OC-2/3, would turning down the octave 2 knob cut out the 2 octave down, but not lose any volume?

I'm guessing the direct level acts as a normal level knob, and the octave knobs act like a gain knob would act on a distortion pedal. correct me if i'm wrong, please. i hate being ignorant to stuff i wanna do.

im going to bed for now though, i'll check this again in the morning.

thanks lanefair, and everyone else.

• Members

On the OC-2/OC-3, all the dials are volume dials. If you just turn up the direct knob, you just get direct signal. It's slightly louder than bypass. If you turn up the octaves as well it gets louder, but not 3 times as loud, if that makes any sense. So you can have any combination of dry, -1oct, -2 oct.

• Members

On the OC-2/OC-3, all the dials are volume dials. If you just turn up the direct knob, you just get direct signal. It's slightly louder than bypass. If you turn up the octaves as well it gets louder, but not 3 times as loud, if that makes any sense. So you can have any combination of dry, -1oct, -2 oct.

thanks.

should I go with the OC-2 or the OC-3? The OC-3 has more options including polyphonic octave, but does the pedal in general just suck?

• Members

I love the OC-3, the modes are great, but I usually just end up playing in OC-2 mode anyway. Polyphonic is great if you play fingerstyle (bass notes with your thumb, rythm notes with your fingers). If you just strum out with it it's a bit muddy. The drive mode is good but I usually run it into distortion anyway, and it can get a bit sqealy. I love the tracking and the tone of the OC-3, I haven't found a better one yet.

• Members

and I looked at the OC-3 (that's the currrent one right?), and did that double tone sound that i don't want.

like, i want the 7th fret of the A string to sound like the open e string, but not ahve the original octave play through, just the new lower one.

does the direct level get rid of the high octave, and putting the octave knob up act as a level too??

On the boss octavers, the "Direct Level" is the original tone (your guitar), which you can dial out if you want to, leaving just the lower octave(s).

Most multi-fx units have some kind of whammy facility these days. My Zoom G2 can do it if you use an expression pedal (G2.1u has one built in for not much extra).

• Members

On the boss octavers, the "Direct Level" is the original tone (your guitar), which you can dial out if you want to, leaving just the lower octave(s).

Most multi-fx units have some kind of whammy facility these days. My Zoom G2 can do it if you use an expression pedal (G2.1u has one built in for not much extra).

im not really interested in any of those boards, at all. it seems like you get tons more to make up for lack of quality. :-

thansk though.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Don't get the boss oc-2. Cool little pedal, but sounds like crap if you try to drop the original note from the octave. I used to own a reissue whammy pedal (cool sounds, horrible bypass), so I know the sound your going for, which I don't think you can get with an analog octaver.

Id say the Boss super shifter, or EHX micro POG would be your best bets.

Archived