octave pedal

• Members

I played a whammy the other day for the first time, and I fell in love with it. I wish i had the cash to buy one, but alas, i do not.

The main thing I loved about it was the pure pitch shift, one octave and two octave down. That coupled with overdrive nailed neil young exactly (i had to use a {censored}ty digitech overdrive since it was on the same board).

I'm wondering, what's something relatively cheap that can do that? I don't really like when you can still hear the original guitar note, i'd rather just hear the octave down.

Does the mutron octave divider do a pitch shift, or just a reproduction of the same note but an octave down?

thanks

• Members

I played a whammy the other day for the first time, and I fell in love with it. I wish i had the cash to buy one, but alas, i do not.

The main thing I loved about it was the pure pitch shift, one octave and two octave down. That coupled with overdrive nailed neil young exactly (i had to use a {censored}ty digitech overdrive since it was on the same board).

I'm wondering, what's something relatively cheap that can do that? I don't really like when you can still hear the original guitar note, i'd rather just hear the octave down.

Does the mutron octave divider do a pitch shift, or just a reproduction of the same note but an octave down?

thanks

SIG, you can turn the original note down.

• Members

thanks

Analog octave downs always sound a little synthy.

• Members

yeah, i saw your post in the "UF is banned thread"

I dont care if you think i'm an alt or a jackass or whatever, but if you're not going to help me, get the {censored} out.

Hey man I'm not trying to be a jerk, and I don't even know what an alt means. But what's up with the avatar? I mean if this place sucks why hang around?

EDIT: btw, I don't think I even posted in that thread...

• Members

Hey man I'm not trying to be a jerk, and I don't even know what an alt means. But what's up with the avatar? I mean if this place sucks why hang around?

oh.

the avatar's a joke. doesn't even make sense really. i use it for counter strike.

i dont think ive been here long enough to say this place sucks. there's hardly any mods which is great. and most of the people are tight.

so yeah, i thought you were being a jackass for some reason. mayeb it wasnt even you in the "UF banned' thread.

:wave:

• Members
oh.

the avatar's a joke. doesn't even make sense really. i use it for counter strike.

i dont think ive been here long enough to say this place sucks. there's hardly any mods which is great. and most of the people are tight.

so yeah, i thought you were being a jackass for some reason. mayeb it wasnt even you in the "UF banned' thread.

:wave:

Definitely wasn't...no worries man.

PS...I unfortunately don't have a lot of experience w/ octave pedals so I can't be much help there. Sorry for hijacking the thread!

• Members

Whats wrong with the Avatar? Its the dudes from Sunn0))). Go with a Boss OC2. You can adjust levels for direct, one octave down, and two octaves down.

i just changed it actually, haha. it was little thing that said, "RETARDED ADMINS RUN THIS SERVER"

and I looked at the OC-3 (that's the currrent one right?), and did that double tone sound that i don't want.

like, i want the 7th fret of the A string to sound like the open e string, but not ahve the original octave play through, just the new lower one.

does the direct level get rid of the high octave, and putting the octave knob up act as a level too??

• Members

yo urination:

when you paired the overdrive up with the octaver, which came first in the order?

I'm lookin to build a little route66 type double pedal and I'm not sure which should come first.....

dirt > octave

OR

octave > dirt

?????

thnx man

• Members

yo urination:

when you paired the overdrive up with the octaver, which came first in the order?

I'm lookin to build a little route66 type double pedal and I'm not sure which should come first.....

dirt > octave

OR

octave > dirt

?????

thnx man

ahah, i just read your thread and i'm trying to think.

i think it did octave > synth wah > distortion.

i'm pretty sure that's it, because i plugged the guitar cable into the board where the whammy was, and i think i plugged the whammy board into the overdrive board.

• Members

i just changed it actually, haha. it was little thing that said, "RETARDED ADMINS RUN THIS SERVER"

and I looked at the OC-3 (that's the currrent one right?), and did that double tone sound that i don't want.

like, i want the 7th fret of the A string to sound like the open e string, but not ahve the original octave play through, just the new lower one.

does the direct level get rid of the high octave, and putting the octave knob up act as a level too??

im still looking for an answer for this

• Members

Octave pedals are not pitch shifters, they produce a sort of square wave tone 1 or 2 octaves below your signal. In my experience, the octave sounds crap on its own. It sounds much better when blended in with your original signal. It sounds like you want to be able to play something and have it come out an octave lower. I won't ask why, but you're better off using a pitch shifter like the whammy or ps-5 etc than an octaver, because dry octave won't sound anything like guitar.

• Members

im still looking for an answer for this

The oc3 has a blend knob, so you can set it up to only play the octave down.

Like Lanefair said though, octavers (and pitch shifters, to my ears) don't usually sound all that convincingly like guitar. With some distortion it should be ok, depending on how picky you are.

I had an OC2 and the tracking was ok, nothing to write home about.

I use a digitech smart shifter for my shifting stuff. It's an older rack unit I bought for cheap. Tracks well so long as I don't dare hit two strings at once.

• Members

The oc3 has a blend knob, so you can set it up to only play the octave down.

Like Lanefair said though, octavers (and pitch shifters, to my ears) don't usually sound all that convincingly like guitar. With some distortion it should be ok, depending on how picky you are.

I had an OC2 and the tracking was ok, nothing to write home about.

I use a digitech smart shifter for my shifting stuff. It's an older rack unit I bought for cheap. Tracks well so long as I don't dare hit two strings at once.

i used the digitech whammy and it sounded good. sounded like mush at two octaves down, but it was cool.

I'm gonna mostly be using it for Neil Young sounds a la Hey hey, My my, and noise/weirder stuff.

Archived