The 5-Delay-Pedals Blindfold Test

gambit

• Members

rather than just posting clips and talking about the pedals, i thought it would be fun to listen to all 5 clips and rate them, or take pot guesses at which pedal is which.

so, the pedals are set to pretty similar delay times and number of repeats and you should be able to hear the tail off at the end of the clip for how the delays fade out.

The pedals are:

Boss DD-5

Headrush Normal

Headrush Tape

DE-7

SIB Mr Echo

Marshall Echohead

Boss DM-2

If you can rate them on which you think sounds best - something like:

1 - A (Best)

2 - C

3 - G

etc

8 - D (Worst)

take a punt if you think you can match the pedal to the clip straight away, but I'll name the corresponding clips and pedals later!

Dry Guitar

Delay A

Delay B

Delay C

Delay D

Delay E

Delay F

Delay G

Delay H

this could be fun!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

would people download one big 3 minute clip? or do you think nobody will generally care? the above clips are like 20 seconds each.. mp3's.. tiny 600kb files or something..

That would be a good compromise - it's not that we're too lazy to download - but we are too lazy to download 8 files or whatever it is.

• Members

I just jotted them down as I listened, so I may have a different opinion, given another listen, but it'd be a little time consuming.

H, E, and A were my favorites.

G was my least favorite.

The ones in between may would rank higher or lower given some more intensive listening, but those were the ones that really struck me, on a first impression.

Seems like the parameters were somewhat different on some of them, though. Some had more/less repeats than others, seemed like the delay time may have been a little longer or shorter from sample to sample too, so it's kind of hard to make a fair comparison, without all things being equal besides the pedal itself.

Is it the pedal making one sound nicer than the other, or the length/number of repeats, for example.

H,E, and A sound really nice to me though, and G sounded kind of harsh.

Cool experiment, none the less, even if not 100% valid. Could you pm what they were to those of us who have already voted? I'm pretty curious about what I picked.

• Members

H sounds like there is something else going on.

H, C, G, and F were the best- they each seem to have those subtle harmonics that make me

D and E were middle of the pack- a bit too dark- cutting out those beautiful harmonics that some echoes have.

A and B were the worst.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I think A, B, and G are definitely digital delays.

• Members

H sounds like there is something else going on.

H, C, G, and F were the best- they each seem to have those subtle harmonics that make me

D and E were middle of the pack- a bit too dark- cutting out those beautiful harmonics that some echoes have.

A and B were the worst.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I think A, B, and G are definitely digital delays.

interesting.. A B and G are indeed all digital delays. A and B are trying to cop tape and analog simulation respectively.

i may have gone overkill with the high end roll off on the D and E clips.. maybe trying too hard to make them sound analog! ;)

before i post the names against the samples - there's only one true analog pedal amongst the clips and nobodies rated it highest so far.

Archived