Blues JR. comment.

Wood Chuck

• Members

I wonder if the one you played had original tubes. A while back I tried some different tubes in my Blues Deluxe and it sounded too bright and sterile. I switched back to the original tubes and now its nice and warm again.

Good to know, I wanted to like it. It WAS new in the store but I will try another before deciding.

• Members

I have Groove Tubes in mine, can't remember which ones but I think they were voiced or at least marketed as "hotter" sounding. I love my Blues Jr. I'll never part with it. I have the special tweed version with the Jensen Speaker in it.

How is the bass on it?? I was hoping for a nice balance in the EQ, but found myself dialing the treble down to 0 and it still being thin and bright. I think I need to try another cause as much as I thought the Vox was cool,I would prefer an all tube amp. Thank's for your response, I believe The one you own is the same edition I have seen @ GC.

• Members

I too find mine to be quite warm. I really love that little amp and ever since I got my Rickenbacker I actually really like to crank the highs on it and cut the bass (plus use an Ayan Smooth and Slim, which i find makes that particular amp sound really wonderful).

• Members
How is the bass on it?? I was hoping for a nice balance in the EQ, but found myself dialing the treble down to 0 and it still being thin and bright. I think I need to try another cause as much as I thought the Vox was cool,I would prefer an all tube amp. Thank's for your response, I believe The one you own is the same edition I have seen @ GC.

Really? I keep the treble on mine around 8 and I play a strat. I think there's just a lot of inconsistencies between individual amps. If you get a good one though... :thu:

• Members
Really? I keep the treble on mine around 8 and I play a strat. I think there's just a lot of inconsistencies between individual amps. If you get a good one though...
:thu:

8???:confused: No wonder the one I played was the last one in the store!!:lol: I will gtve one another go to be sure. Thank's!

• Members

There's a big difference between how old Bjrs are voiced and how the newer Bjrs are voiced. The older ones (with green board) are dark and warm. The newer ones (cream board) are hot and bright.

I have a newer one and it is definitely bright.

If you like the Vox so much, why don't you buy it?

• Members
There's a big difference between how old Bjrs are voiced and how the newer Bjrs are voiced. The older ones (with green board) are dark and warm. The newer ones (cream board) are hot and bright.

I have a newer one and it is definitely bright.

If you like the Vox so much, why don't you buy it?

Wanted to be sure. I am inclined towards simplicity and tubes and The Vox has all those amp and fx models that I won't use. Of course bypassing those except for the reverb and in manual mode it sounded great. I will try a couple of more small practice amps that I am looking at and then decide.:)

• Members

i definately think there may have been something weird going on with the one you played. i run the treble around 8 or so on mine, granted this is at bedroom volumes and i'm using a tele neck pickup, but even when i switch to the bridge pickup i only need to roll a tiny little bit off the high's. at louder volumes it could be a problem but i haven't experienced it.

• Members
8???
:confused:
No wonder the one I played was the last one in the store!!
:lol:
I will gtve one another go to be sure. Thank's!

Yep, treble: 8, mids: 10, bass: 5 are the settings I've been using lately. I've also heard what roygbiv said about the differences between the cream board and green board but I don't know. Mine is a newer (cream board) one. Either way it's a good amp and it's served me well so far. Good luck on your hunt, don't give up yet.

• Members
:thu:
Yep, treble: 8, mids: 10, bass: 5 are the settings I've been using lately. I've also heard what
roygbiv
said about the differences between the cream board and green board but I don't know. Mine is a newer (cream board) one. Either way it's a good amp and it's served me well so far. Good luck on your hunt, don't give up yet.

thank you, I am actually happy to see all the positive responses in regards to this amp!:thu:

Archived