What pedal makes that cocked wah sound?

BTBAM

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It may not be the best quality but the Ibanez AW7 does this. Yes its an Autowah but if you set the sens control to zero (sorry if I'm wrong I think its the sens control) it becomes a wah pedal with a fixed response, ie just like the Q zone.

Just another option. I use one. Never had a problem with the switch like some people do.

• Members

Nice.
:cool:
What do they normally sell for on fleabay - and how often do they show up?

kinda rarely, prices all over ($50-100) but never out of hand, especially for what it offers (the blend function makes it so much more than just a 'lead' pedal). worth keeping an eye out for, definitely.

i've heard mention that its the same system found in one of the LAB amps.

• Members

kinda rarely, prices all over ($50-100) but never out of hand, especially for what it offers (the blend function makes it
so
much more than just a 'lead' pedal). worth keeping an eye out for, definitely.

So how, and where in the pedal chain do you use yours. My brother has one kicking around in a box somewhere and I have never really managed to get a great sound with it. I think I was missing something with it and don't really know how to use it properly... any suggestions?

P.s. sorry to hijack the thread!

• Members

back on the subject of the cocked wah. A slightly off the wall suggestion...

My old Charvel Spectrum has an active circuit in it that works like a built in wah pedal ( I guess that's why they called it the spectrum, a wide tone spectrum, see?). Anway these are called the jackson j1500 pre-amp or something similar, and can be bought off ebay once in a while. Putting one of these in your guitar would certainly give you a cocked wah sound without the need for any pedals at all.

Being a bit of a Michael Schenker fan I rather like it ;)

• Members

Yes, that can work, but it really depends on how wide of a Q (bandwidth) you're willing to accept. Most wah pedals have a pretty narrow bandwidth; your typical graphic EQ pedal would probably have a wider bandwidth, and thus it isn't going to sound quite the same, although it's the same basic concept.
:)

A parametric EQ (a TRUE parametric, with adjustable bandwidth) would be the better choice IMHO.

That's why I rock the Arion - has the narrow/wide bandwidth knob. Yeah!

kinda rarely, prices all over ($50-100) but never out of hand, especially for what it offers (the blend function makes it
so
much more than just a 'lead' pedal). worth keeping an eye out for, definitely.

Thanks for the info. :cool: I'll definitely keep my eyes open, and if you happen to hear of one being sold, I'd appreciate hearing about it. :)

Looks kinda similar to the tone controls on the Lab Series L5 I used to have (Bass, Frequency, Midrange, Treble, Multifilter), but while that was a good amp (one of the few SS amps I've ever really dug a lot), I suspect the Pearl is capable of being a bit more extreme in its range - the L5's tone / filter controls were good, but not as dramatic as a cocked and locked wah. And the Lab lacked the blend knob...

• Members

Nice.
:cool:
What do they normally sell for on fleabay - and how often do they show up?

I had one, bought it for 40euros, sold it for 75

didn't like it that much, it kind of reminded me of the Boss SP-1

the Thriller also did what the filter controls on the old LabSeries solidstate amps did

edit : hmmm, well you already know that

• Members

After using a Keeley Nova Wah for 4+ years at lots of gigs I have found a great many tones that my Cry Baby or Teese can't do in fixed position.

The Nova Wah is very adjustable and can go from high to low heel sounds with one switch. It is a great lead effect for me.

Archived