What pedal makes that cocked wah sound?

BTBAM

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know it's not the same, but I love using the Electric Mistress in 'Filter Matrix' mode. It lets you manually set the notch filter and dial in some pretty crazy metallic almost 'cocked wah' sounds. Think of taking your typical flanger & stopping the sweep at any point. . .

• Members

Keeley Nova Wah but your best bet is to find a wah you like and then take the guts and put them in an enclosure with the pot like a regular pedal so you can easily set it and turn it on.

Great idea. Someone has some VOX guts in the SPAM thread last week for ~$40 IIRC.

Graphic or parametric EQ set for a mid hump? I have the arion parametric and it's sweep is very wah like - set and forget y'all.

Yes, that can work, but it really depends on how wide of a Q (bandwidth) you're willing to accept. Most wah pedals have a pretty narrow bandwidth; your typical graphic EQ pedal would probably have a wider bandwidth, and thus it isn't going to sound quite the same, although it's the same basic concept. :)

A parametric EQ (a TRUE parametric, with adjustable bandwidth) would be the better choice IMHO.

I really need some gut shots to show you what I'm talking about, and I don't want to hotlink without permission, so have a look at the photos over on this page:

http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/WahTrueBypass.htm

Basically, you would pull everything out of the case and mount it in a new case. If you look at the first pic, you can see (at the far left, just after the blue bypass switch) a pot is connected to a gear, which is connected to another gear, which is connected to the treadle. You can see the details better in the third picture.

I've never tried it, but if you can get that round gear off the shaft of that pot, you could use the existing pot and just mount that through the top of your new case, and add the knob of your choice. Your new case will also need holes for the bypass switch, the input and output jacks, and the power supply jack, if it has one (or if you decide to add one). If you CAN'T get that gear off the shaft of the pot, just replace it with another pot of the same value; soldering the wires to the appropriate terminals on the pot.

Again, I've never rehoused one, but it should be a relatively easy DIY project if you have a multibit to do the case drilling, and some basic soldering chops. :wave:

• Members

I really need some gut shots to show you what I'm talking about, and I don't want to hotlink without permission, so have a look at the photos over on this page:

http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/WahTrueBypass.htm

Basically, you would pull everything out of the case and mount it in a new case. If you look at the first pic, you can see (at the far left, just after the blue bypass switch) a pot is connected to a gear, which is connected to another gear, which is connected to the treadle. You can see the details better in the third picture.

I've never tried it, but if you can get that round gear off the shaft of that pot, you could use the existing pot and just mount that through the top of your new case, and add the knob of your choice. Your new case will also need holes for the bypass switch, the input and output jacks, and the power supply jack, if it has one (or if you decide to add one). If you CAN'T get that gear off the shaft of the pot, just replace it with another pot of the same value; soldering the wires to the appropriate terminals on the pot.

Again, I've never rehoused one, but it should be a relatively easy DIY project if you have a multibit to do the case drilling, and some basic soldering chops.
:wave:

Sexcellent! Now I need to get this thing going....

BTW, that pot controls the frequency that is getting boosted, and has no effect on the bandwidth - that's pre-set. The Q Zone features a user adjustable bandwidth control. You could probably add that to your existing pedal, but it would be a more complicated DIY project, and we'd need to know exactly which wah you have and what REV it is.

Archived