overdrive pedal plugged into a PA system

jjang1993

• Members

how would that sound?

i play in a band at my church and right now i plug my amp into the soundboard and im wondering if i could just use an overdrive pedal so i dont have to carry an amp to church every sunday.

btw the pedal i have is a Danelectro Fab Overdrive

• Members

there are some pedals that actually have a dedicated output for this purpose, I think DOD make the I.T. overdrive fx100 [i.ntergrated T.ube] I think. Actually, didn't the first line of Digitech effects have a seperate 'consol out' ???

plus you could get a SansAmp [or the behringer clone] which is for that purpose and has multiple cabinet and gain/amp sims

• Members

lol yeah the amp does sound terrible through the PA, it sounds very fuzzy.

im thinking of getting the Korg AX3G. does this function like the behringer amp modelors? the other guitarist who left had on and i dont think he ever got that fuzzy tone. it sounded pretty good considering he was using an acoustic guitar.

also how are the acoustic simulators on the AX3G

• Members

They have a tendancy to sound crappy in other situations though, I hear. A multi-fx might be more useful even if it's not "quite" as high quality.

depends if he wants to use effects, they sound pretty good though don't have tube amp feel and certainly aren't nearly 100% as good as good tube amps. no digital artifacts or harshness is a big plus though. if you don't mind bringing a small amp. there is the trademark 10 which has sansamp built in with direct out (xlr and 1/4 outs). has spring reverb too.

• Members

I ran the "MIX" output of my Landmine into my friends PA, sounded great but it scared the crap out of him so he unplugged me about 3 minutes into "Am I Evil". He was scared the PA was gonna blow, but it worked fine.

Must be a crappy old PA if he was afraid of it blowing.

• Members

Guitar amps are pretty poor in terms of simply amplifying sound. The amplification is not equal across the spectrum, and there's a lot of compression that simply wouldn't exist in a typical PA or for that matter, a nice hi-fi home stereo amp. But this kink in amplification is considered desirable tone because that's what we expect from guitar amps. Plugging a guitar pedal directly into a modern PA will yield higher highs and lower lows, but as far as a "guitar" sound, it'll be poor. The only way it will work and give you a "guitar" sound is if you have some sort of a headphone or direct out that you can plug into your PA -- the pedal or multifx unit will have it's own eq that will compensate for the eq that would normally occur inside the guitar amp. With that set up, the only hindrance is the quality of the sound from the headphone or direct out. If it's a poor emulation of the amp'ed tone, your "guitar" tone will still suck.

As for guitarists using PA heads, more often than not, they're using PA's that suck, as far as PA's go (specially modern ones), but sound great for guitar. I doubt if you will be able to find a PA that's currently being manufactured that will work well as a guitar amp.

c

• Members

Last night at the open mic at the coffeehouse that I play at, I just plugged my pedalboard directly into the system. The sound system has a Presonus Blue Tube preamp, so the tone came out very nicely, especially with my Keeley TS9 Mod Plus. I was able to get a warm, smooth lead tone.

Archived