DL4 mods - expression pedal switch.

Faldoe

• Members

http://www.scottcampbellmusic.com/Public/DL4Switch/dl4modhome.html

I just got a expression pedal for my mm4 and I'm very disappointed, it's not a blend or parameter tweak - increase speed, but just a way to expand memory basically.

So that is what this mod in the link above does, though for the DL4. From what I can tell it just looks like they added a switch to the expression input - you can see the 1/4 cable going inside the unit. Could I just use a 1/4 footswitch - like from my Ampeg V4 for reverb which I don't use, to turn on the other effect, like basically moving the expression pedal from heel down to toe up...???!!!!

• Members

I just got a expression pedal for my mm4 and I'm very disappointed, it's not a blend or parameter tweak - increase speed, but just a way to expand memory basically.

So that is what this mod in the link above does, though for the DL4. From what I can tell it just looks like they added a switch to the expression input - you can see the 1/4 cable going inside the unit. Could I just use a 1/4 footswitch - like from my Ampeg V4 for reverb which I don't use, to turn on the other effect, like basically moving the expression pedal from heel down to toe up...???!!!!

What do you mean it's not a blend or parameter tweak? You can change any parameters you want within the selected mode. Check the manual. I think the foot switch would work as you described, just a more abrupt change from heel to toe instead of sweeping in between like you can with the pedal.

• Members

Could I just use a 1/4 footswitch - like from my Ampeg V4 for reverb which I don't use, to turn on the other effect, like basically moving the expression pedal from heel down to toe up...???!!!!

Yes... I picked up a $5 generic Apex footswitch (even came with a cable!) and it works perfectly...

switch.jpg

*although depending on the settings, if you switch while playing it does get you some pretty messed up sounds... which could be good, but I haven't found a good use for that yet...

• Members

Yeah, like SFOT says, a generic latching footswitch will do the job fine. The "expression pedal" feature on the xx4s just switches between two sets of parameters, it doesn't blend from one to the other.

SFOT: you can avoid the weird spaceship sounds when using the expression pedal if you use the rhythmic delay setting. This won't work for all your delay needs, but it might make life easier.

• Members

Wow, this is news to me. 6 Presets makes the DL4 a hell of a lot better.

I'm pretty sure you have to keep them in the same mode though, like lo-res, sweep, analog. then you can have 2 presets of parameters (tweak, tweez, repeats etc) to switch between for each single mode.

• Members

So.... lemme get this straight.

Create a digital delay w/ mod. Short delay time, 2 repeats, Tweak & Tweez maxxed. Save it w/ EX-1 in toe up.

Then toe down the EX-1 and increase delay time and repeats, Tweak & Tweez about 1/2.

Save again?

Then you can move between the two?

Is that right?

• Members

I was just trying to figure out the saving thing. Do you have to save after each change? Or can you just toe up, create, toe down, create, save?

Also, my understanding was that the expression pedal could really only control 1 parameter to each effect.... like the delay time or modulation. Is that true?

• Members

i use this feature with both dl4's i currently use. in fact, i built a switch into an enclosure that is small enough to literally rest on the 'model' knob of the dl4. pics coming very soon, in a thread yet to be created.

and for anybody who says the 'in between' sounds aren't useful, you just don't have the right settings.;)

• Members

i use this feature with both dl4's i currently use. in fact, i built a switch into an enclosure that is small enough to literally rest on the 'model' knob of the dl4. pics coming very soon, in a thread yet to be created.

and for anybody who says the 'in between' sounds aren't useful, you just don't have the right settings.
;)

Okay... put your settings where your mouth is.

What are you doing?

• Members

I use the expression pedal for my MM-4 and I find extremely useful. I do find it to blend albeit poorly. I haven't had the pedal for very long but so far I use the expression pedal for the speed on the Leslie sound (factory preset sounded as good as anything I made), to switch between a nice soft vibrato w/ a hard vib w/volume sensitivity, switch between a slow phaser w/ a fast pan and fast phaser w/ a slow pan. The fourth preset is the Dimension D and the two presets sound too similar to really differentiate. One has a little more shimmer.

I bought an expression pedal for my DL-4 but haven't used it yet. I would assume that as long as you didn't change the delay time between the down/up positions on the exp pedal you shouldn't get the wierd delay warble. I'll report back after experimentation.

• Members

Okay... put your settings where your mouth is.

What are you doing?

check out the link in my sig, the first clip [siren noise]. i just uploaded an excerpt from a practice recorded around february of 2007. about 2/3 into it, i make a siren-esque noise, acheived by clicking from on to off position on an external switch. the settings, i think, were probably on the reverse mode, one preset for for long attack-100% wet and the other for almost no feedback or delay time, also 100% wet [sort of a ring-moddish, machine noise].

i thought it was pretty cool, but eh. some might think otherwise.:idk:

Archived