AnalogMan! Lawyers! KOT's to Ebay only!

BmoreTele

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thats a lot of credit. I imagine them to be 15 year olds living at home popping pimples maybe working part time at Baskin Robbins.

Armchair pedalmakers are gasbags with inane claims about pricing, and their estimates of manufacturing costs are ridiculously low. I can picture them, fat in overstuffed armchairs, wearing beer hats, smelly t-shirts and week-old boxers, surrounded by empty bags of chips and KFC containers, TV on in the background with skimpily-clad hotties they'll never hit splashed across the screen, typing out their fictional treatises on pedal manufacturing costs on grease-stained keyboards with filthy black gook under their fingernails, belching and grunting in constant agreement with each other's posts. I fart in their general direction. Go actually finish a pedal, whether painted or silkscreened or otherwise professionally decorated, and make it with a PC board, quality jacks and switches, and make sure it's roadworthy. Then figure out how much it costs, and don't forget your labor, every minute of it.

Running a business takes money. Real money. My company's fixed costs per month are equal to an average American family's annual income.

You can't even get an ENCLOSURE shipped to your house for $10.

• Members

Armchair pedalmakers are gasbags with inane claims about pricing, and their estimates of manufacturing costs are ridiculously low. I can picture them, fat in overstuffed armchairs, wearing beer hats, smelly t-shirts and week-old boxers, surrounded by empty bags of chips and KFC containers, TV on in the background with skimpily-clad hotties they'll never hit splashed across the screen, typing out their fictional treatises on pedal manufacturing costs on grease-stained keyboards with filthy black gook under their fingernails, belching and grunting in constant agreement with each other's posts. I fart in their general direction. Go actually finish a pedal, whether painted or silkscreened or otherwise professionally decorated, and make it with a PC board, quality jacks and switches, and make sure it's roadworthy. Then figure out how much it costs, and don't forget your labor, every minute of it.

Running a business takes money. Real money. My company's fixed costs per month are equal to an average American family's annual income.

You can't even get an ENCLOSURE shipped to your house for $10.

ee

• Members

Armchair pedalmakers are gasbags with inane claims about pricing, and their estimates of manufacturing costs are ridiculously low. Go actually finish a pedal, whether painted or silkscreened or otherwise professionally decorated, and make it with a PC board, quality jacks and switches, and make sure it's roadworthy. Then figure out how much it costs, and don't forget your labor, every minute of it.

I think it depends on the aspirations of the builder. You see people like Catalinbread and Devi doing high quality work for very little money but it obviously isn't on the same scale as fulltone or something.

That's probably part of the problem in the ideas some people have about what pedals "should" cost. They see some builders doing high quality stuff for $150~ and then a lot more doing $200+ pedals. I'm not going to get into the whole argument of justifying the added cost of some companies, I think you already did a good job of that. I'm just not surprised how clueless some people are about operating a niche market business like pedal building.

• Members

I think it depends on the aspirations of the builder. You see people like Catalinbread and Devi doing high quality work for very little money but it obviously isn't on the same scale as fulltone or something.

That's probably part of the problem in the ideas some people have about what pedals "should" cost. They see some builders doing high quality stuff for $150~ and then a lot more doing $200+ pedals. I'm not going to get into the whole argument of justifying the added cost of some companies, I think you already did a good job of that. I'm just not surprised how clueless some people are about operating a niche market business like pedal building.

I've talked to "professionals" about my prices. Basically, my pedals should be $200+ or I should offshore manufacturing. That is unless I really want to continue working 18 hour days 6 days a week.

• Members
I don't think or care if you are talking about me specifically. I've said it in the past you've been painting the entire business with the same brush. This functions to cast a cloud of suspicion on EVERYBODY in it.

What are your motivations for gathering "ammunition" refering to "cloners" and bitching about prices? I hate assuming another person's motivation but yours seems to come from a dark and murky place.

hello? was anyone home when i said i don't care if you diy gen 1.0, or whatever version you want to be, want to charge $1000 for a brick weight. You do remember that right? It was in the other thread. Does this sound like i am bitching about price? Context. Hello? :rolleyes:

What broad strokes did i paint? Specifics and context please? Maybe a quote? Did i say "all builders are {censored}ing cloners" or something like that, because somehow i don't recall that... :rolleyes:

• Members

Somehow this thread got turned into a thread about builders bitching about consumers bitching about builders' exorbitant price points. Ugh hello, maybe read the whole thread please? And yes, we realize you have to dig a 100 foot hole to get to that water... it may explain why dasani taste like tap water

dasani.jpg

• Members
hello? was anyone home when i said i don't care if you diy gen 1.0, or whatever version you want to be, want to charge $1000 for a brick weight. You do remember that right? It was in the other thread. Does this sound like i am bitching about price? Context. Hello?
:rolleyes:

What broad strokes did i paint? Specifics and context please? Maybe a quote? Did i say "all builders are {censored}ing cloners" or something like that, because somehow i don't recall that...
:rolleyes:

Calm down. Take a breath. Read your previous posts in this and other forums because it is clear that you aren't really thinking about what you've typed.

• Members
Somehow this thread got turned into a thread about builders bitching about consumers bitching about builders' exorbitant price points. Ugh hello, maybe read the whole thread please? And yes, we realize you have to dig a 100 foot hole to get to that water... it may explain why dasani taste like tap water

dasani.jpg

Since you brought up bottled water. It's just tap water but people still pay $1.50 for it.

Some would say thats a rip off. But it is a big part of Coke and Pepsi's bottom line for a reason. PEOPLE PAY FOR IT.

Where is the righteous indignation and crusade against them? I mean Coke alone earns more in a year selling bottled water than all pedal builders combined do. Misplaced precision? I think so. Or maybe it's because you aren't interested in bottling water for sale but you have an interest in selling pedals.

• Members

Since you brought up bottled water. It's just tap water but people still pay $1.50 for it.

Some would say thats a rip off. But it is a big part of Coke and Pepsi's bottom line for a reason. PEOPLE PAY FOR IT.

Where is the righteous indignation and crusade against them? I mean Coke alone earns more in a year selling bottled water than all pedal builders combined do. Misplaced precision? I think so. Or maybe it's because you aren't interested in bottling water for sale but you have an interest in selling pedals.

It's probably because more people drink water than buy boutique guitar pedals. But that's just my guess.

Archived