Tonewheel Hammond alternatives

gilwe

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, there ya go. Some of us ARE professional organists, and have played Hammonds for decades. We know the difference between a fine instrument with soul, and a compromise instrument whose first requirement is that it can be carried under one arm.

I don't particularly care if the audience knows the difference or not. I play for myself first, audience second.

Point taken, and aplogies made.

Crow tastes good when warm....

• Members

BTW - on a related (or not) note - I saw a Hammond pro play last weekend. Dr. Lonnie B. Smith played with Les McCann and Javon Jackson at the San Jose Jazz Fest. He played on a B3 with a huge leslie, which was mic'ed. Sounded pretty good. That guy can cut a groove.....

• Members
Outkaster,

Here's a sneak preview of my Hammond midi controller. I've eliminated the key stacks and found leaf action push switches that approximate the same feel.

I designed some switch multiplexor boards using a diode matrix to feed the convertor which outputs midi.

This should allow a 2 piece controller with authentic hammond action and controls, top piece aiming for 30 lbs while the bottom manual should come in around 20 lbs.

cases_039.jpg

switches_001.jpg

Finally someone with the skills and the will to do it right, why didn't anyone do this before! A clone has to feel like the original to inspire like the original.

• Members

or maybe they should just sell their keybeds to all the other clones' manufacturers. Seriously though, I don't think I'd be seeing Rolands in all the high dollar acts I did if they were that terrible. I realize musicians get paid to use certain equipment, but they can refuse to play crap, too. And I don't think you can base your opinion entirely on having sat in on a friends rig at one show. At least that's the only experience you've mentioned on the forum.

Perhaps the high dollar acts are using Rolands because they are sponsored by Roland? To me high dollar act doesn't always mean high quality musicianship, and a lot of players are going to use free gear if given the chance. I don't think you'll see any true Hammond players using a lower quality instrument, but if someone is playing organ on a few songs a night and Roland offers you a free one, why not?

Strong bump on this old thread!

• Members
I played a real M3 lately, I really -wanted- to like it..but I didn't, really. OK, the sound is nice and alive but not really significantly more than my Nord...that gets me 97% there and that is enough. The organ was not functioning 100% and it was not loud at all, so the guy who sold it, demonstrated it though a horrid Fender transistor amp and an even more horrid Korg G4 lesliesim (what people like about those is a mystery to me, especially when you hear the Nord

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't understand why the Roland VK-8m is not more recommended! I have it, and I think it is really great. We have a C3 at church that is well maintained, and I think this sounds pretty much exactly the same. Great leslie, highly adjustable, and excellent interface.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Thought I would resurrect this old thread to report a significant milestone on my hammond midi controller project.

I have drawbars working now! Also, vib knob, vib tabs, and percussion tabs. I can sit down at this thing and almost play it like a real organ.

Gotta find and fix a bug in my wiring for the reverse color preset keys. Then add a leslie switch, swell pedal, and secondary pots, finish wiring the second manual, and start looking at cool custom portable stand/pedals/bench options.

I can already tell that I will be able to fool myself that I am playing a real console.

drawbars19.jpg

Ignore the rat's nest of wires, they will get properly harnessed!

drawbars18.jpg

Moe

• Members

Currently thinking black powdercoated aluminum for the top and back. The sides would be 1 piece, nicely finished wood and would snap on after the 2 manuals are assembled. Something with an appropriately B3ish profile like the Oakland Chop, but slimmer.

d_simpson.jpg

• Members

Looks nice. You must have eliminated some weight by getting rid of the contacts and bussbars.

Indeed. The top manual / drawbar piece currently sits at 38 lbs. By the time I put a top on it and add a single board computer to run the organ software, it should hit 40 lbs, about the same as an XK-3.

I would have liked it to weight in closer to 30 lbs than 40, but in order to do that I would have to go to greater (expensive) lengths to replace parts with lighter weight components.

The drawbar assembly is 12 lbs, for instance. I could go to plastic drawbars, spend a crapload of money, and shave 5 lbs. But then it wouldn't feel like a hammond any more. Maybe custom molded kevlar for the case might save a few lbs.

Nah. I can lift it and sling it around just fine. And when I set it down and play it, it feels solid enough that I can beat on it like a real hammond, and it won't bounce off the stand.

• Members

That's pretty sweet, Moe. What are you using for brains?

I'm using a midi encoder board from Midi Boutique.

http://www.midiboutique.com

I've also designed the necessary auxillary boards to go with it - key diode multiplexers, a board to collect vib/perc switch connections, and a board to provide fixed voltages to the drawbar busses and collect pot/drawbar voltages.

Archived