name some pedals that turn a fender amp into a marshall

• Members

This is a much tougher thing to accomplish than one might hope. Fenders have such a different texture and quality to their tone, from the preamp to the power amp and especially the speakers, they just present a very difficult starting point for making a Marshall-like tone come out of them. It's analogous to cupping your hands around your mouth and attempting to sound like Barry White. Very difficult to do, no matter how much you manipulate your mouth and vocal cords.

• Members

This thread should just be renamed "what is your favorite overdrive pedal?".

Seriously.

I feel like everytime someone makes a thread detailing what they need out of a dirt pedal, everyone just comes in and says whatever flavor of the month they love the most. :poke:

• Members

definitely not with a fender. I had an OCD for a week or two and just traded it because It sounded small and not very good to my ear. I'm getting a blackstone mosfet overdrive pedal in the mail hopefully today or tomorrow so I'll let you know how that works out. It should be great. I like rats through my twin also though...

A blackstone will not make your amp sound like something else, just more of what you have... alot more in some cases. It is one of 3 things I will never sell the others are my amp and the KOB.

I use that and an old Menatone KOB, works for me, but, they are very very very different from batch to batch, mine is great. so here is a list:

Crunch Box

Zvex BoR

OLCircuits Thor and 18

Menatone KOB

Plexitortion

Toadworks John Bull

Tonebone Hot British

Barber DD

are all pedals I have messed with that do sound like a marshall. by the way saying "sounds like a marshall" covers a lot of territory.

by the way, Blackstones are amazing pedals.

• Members

Seriously.

I feel like everytime someone makes a thread detailing what they need out of a dirt pedal, everyone just comes in and says whatever flavor of the month they love the most. :poke:

haha true. But it gives the OP alot of options to work with.

I would say the Lovepedal Church of Tone 50 or the Hao Rust Driver are two good ones.

• Members

This is a much tougher thing to accomplish than one might hope. Fenders have such a different texture and quality to their tone, from the preamp to the power amp and especially the speakers, they just present a very difficult starting point for making a Marshall-like tone come out of them. It's analogous to cupping your hands around your mouth and attempting to sound like Barry White. Very difficult to do, no matter how much you manipulate your mouth and vocal cords.

Exactly... i'm pretty much just looking for something that can cover the function of a slightly boosted/dirtied marshall plexi, and i knew there were some pedals with filters in the right freq ranges to get the fender amp (and that itself is a vague term) into the territory where a marshall would usually function better.

My rat, for example, doesn't get me near that ballpark (imho); it's just too much fuzz, and i usually set the gain real low! It doesn't really do anything to counteract or shape the eq curve of my fender into a more british sound...

So, thank you all for the suggestions; i'll hopefully go try some of those out this weekend.

• Members

I was really, really impressed with the Blackstone into high headroom clean amps, I used it into a Twin, and then a modded Fender PA100 head into a Marshall 4x12, and it was rawk. I traded it to RinkRat for use with his Twin, since I now have EL34 amps.

I'm hoping the OCD I traded for will be a better fit for my Vox AC50. The Blackstone is the ideal Marshall box for amps like Twins, Dual Showman, etc, that have ZERO breakup of their own. The OD has to happen all in the box for it to sound right.

• Members
I was really, really impressed with the Blackstone into high headroom clean amps, I used it into a Twin, and then a modded Fender PA100 head into a Marshall 4x12, and it was rawk. I traded it to RinkRat for use with his Twin, since I now have EL34 amps.

I'm hoping the OCD I traded for will be a better fit for my Vox AC50. The Blackstone is the ideal Marshall box for amps like Twins, Dual Showman, etc, that have ZERO breakup of their own. The OD has to happen all in the box for it to sound right.

AC50? Cool. You still have the Dr Z KT45?:wave:

• Members

Hyde side of a VisualSound Jekyll and Hyde - it's a Marshall Jackhammer clone

Hmmm...I've been using a Jekyll and Hyde for 5 years (first the grey, then the red), and I can't say I would call that a particularly Marsahlly sound. It's definitely a good, scooped mid, high-saturation sound, but it doesn't have that British mid-rangey skronk.

• Members

So I just got my Tonebone Plexitube (same sound as Hot British) and have to say it does the trick. Playing it through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and while I've had plenty of other dirt that sounds great in front of it, this is the closest it's ever sounded to a Marshall. The range of tone adjustment is so wide it could be dialed in to most any amp.

Does it sound EXACTLY like a Marshall? I'd say I don't know Marshall well enough to tell unless I did an A/ B test. But I did find myself finding settings that had me spending the whole evening playing 70s classic rock to 80s hair metal (an beyond) riffs and it sounded RIGHT, not just good but like what I've heard. I kept turning dials and switching guitars and saying "wow, I just nailed (insert name of Marshall players) sound"

Archived