why should I NOT buy a Vox Pathfinder 15R next month?

hangwire

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maybe consider one of the smaller Valvetronix range. They have a line out jack as well. I like the Pathfinder, good little practice amp. Even better if you dump out the speaker for something a little warmer too. Would an 8" speaker be enough for small jams? The Valvetronix AD30VT has a 10" speaker. The amp models do sound pretty decent on the AD30.

• Members

Maybe consider one of the smaller Valvetronix range. They have a line out jack as well. I like the Pathfinder, good little practice amp. Even better if you dump out the speaker for something a little warmer too. Would an 8" speaker be enough for small jams? The Valvetronix AD30VT has a 10" speaker. The amp models do sound pretty decent on the AD30.

I was just about to say the same thing....the pathfinders are cool, but those little valvetronix are really good, I'd probably go for the 50w 1x12" you could even gig with that!! :)

• Members

I have had many small combo amps over the years, and the Pathfinder 15R is hands down my favorite from the solid state amps i've owned. the tremolo and reverb are very good, especially for the price. get the footswitch for sure. Tube amps sound better in my opinion, but this is a great value, and a great sounding amp.

• Members

I had a 15w Orange Crush w/reverb, and it was good but the Vox is a much better value. Mostly because of the tremolo and the footswitch option.

I'm unfamiliar with both... but I heard a clip of one of those 15R's once ... and it was mighty impressive.

• Members

it has all of those i believe. you basically HAVE to buy the footswitch though if i recall correctly, because without it, you can only turn the reverb down, not off. you can turn it down all the way though. it sounds as if there is no reverb at all, but i prefer the footswitch by far. it's such a great deal to have reverb and tremolo built in. those effects on their own cost a lot to get the quality of effect that the amp has. i guess i am not answering the question in this thread's title, but in a way, i guess i am.

• Members

it has all of those i believe. you basically HAVE to buy the footswitch though if i recall correctly, because without it, you can only turn the reverb down, not off. you can turn it down all the way though. it sounds as if there is no reverb at all, but i prefer the footswitch by far. it's such a great deal to have reverb and tremolo built in. those effects on their own cost a lot to get the quality of effect that the amp has. i guess i am not answering the question in this thread's title, but in a way, i guess i am.

The footswitch activates the tremolo and the overdrive channel. It has nothing to do with the reverb. The reverb is controlled manually.

If you are looking for a good quality and easily transportable practice amp, there is really no reason not to get the Pathfinder imo. You could even play a small venue like a coffehouse or something with it....

• Members

Yeah, like everyone else, I've had great experiences with the Pathfinder. I use at my rehersal space and for a couple of gigs with it hooked up to a 4x12 Marshall cabinet and it sounds great. Haven't even used the tremelo yet though...

• Members

The Pathfinder is a bargain. I've even been doing small gigs with it!!

Same here, I really miss my pathfinder, it broke once and I've haven't really had a chance to repair it, sorry about hijacking this thread but does anyone have a schematic for the amp? or maybe know what part is a TDA2040A, I think it's the output amp or something, if anyone has any info on that it would be greatly appreciated.

Pathfinders FTW!!!

• Members

I have a Pathfinder 15R and I love it -especially for it's clean tones. I highly recommend them. However, if you have $300 to spend you might want to check out the new Fender Super Champ XD ($299, or less some places). I got one recently and it is awesome. It's got all the features you were looking for and more, including a really good sounding line out.

Archived