why should I NOT buy a Vox Pathfinder 15R next month?

hangwire

• Members

I have a Pathfinder 15R and I love it -especially for it's clean tones. I highly recommend them. However, if you have $300 to spend you might want to check out the new Fender Super Champ XD ($299, or less some places). I got one recently and it is awesome. It's got all the features you were looking for and more, including a really good sounding line out.

I am hesitant about "all in one" amps... i like the simplicity of the knobs only approach...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

when i was looking for a small amp for the same purpose you listed i read alot of good reviews about the pathfinder 15r. the only negative feedback that was prominent was that the lead channel abit ordinary

• Members

when i was looking for a small amp for the same purpose you listed i read alot of good reviews about the pathfinder 15r. the only negative feedback that was prominent was that the lead channel abit ordinary

I won't use the lead channel...

i guess there are no better, cheaper options :D

• Members

hmmm,

CON :

well the little speaker can't handle envelope filters and even a wah pedal, the tremolo is kind of weak, subtle at best, the built-in boost (more like a distortion) sucks

PRO :

it has the VOX looks, lightweight, compact

great clean sound

it has inputs for headphone, extension cab, footswitch

it's cheap

ALTERNATIVE :

If I would buy an amp in that price range again, I would look at the Orange Crush 30, for now I'm still stuck with the Pathfinder ... I have one of the older ones (made in Korea), no input for extension cab

I would like to mod it with a normal/bright switch, but don't know how to do it

a simple mod, explained on the Pennypedal forum for a Pathfinder 10, but the Pathfinder 15 circuitboard has a completely different layout

• Members

The problem that I could see with Pathfinder is that it is way too loud for its size! :love:

Clean is awesome and the Boost part, you just need to be careful not to go past noon otherwise it becomes thin ... not overdrive like tone I'm expecting. It can totally handle guitar pedals well.

• Members

got it, guys who have one, are the jacks on the back panel on the back, or semi hidden?

checking to see if thsi is a new series/issue of the pathfinder15r

my cambridge 30r jusrt has a 4 jack backpanel...

• Members

so I gave it a test today-

pro-

looks amazing

destinctive tone

the blue box I am borrowing actually cuts, no mud

has tremolo

con-

reverb is weak, nothing like the thickness of the cambridge 30R I had

need to still test out the recording out features...

• Members

the pathfinder 15R is my main home & small jam amp. I love it, but I'd recommend mic'ing vs. using the lineout, as it's a pretty sterile sounding.

Other than that you can't go wrong with the 15R
:thu:

+1. The Pathfinders are amazing value for money. Just be sure to plug them into at least a 1x12 and you'll really hear how amazing these things sound like. On the puny 6.5in and 8in speakers (Pathfinder 10 & 15, respectively) the OD channel is barely useable. Moreso with the Pathfinder 10 -- the OD channel sounds like a terrible AM radio. But plug it in to a 1x12 and all of a sudden it sounds very decent. :thu:

2752150_16_full.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

UPDATE:

Got a crazy deal on a vox cambridge 30R and I wasn't insane... the tone, trem, reverb are all amazingly better... I suggest any pathfinder fan to try to get a cambridge 30r 1x10" combo as everything is an upgrade :thu:

• Members

Just another nod to the Vox Pathfinder. I use a Pathfinder 10 as my apartment amp and the clean sounds are very nice, and it's surprisingly loud. The gain switch (as others have mentioned) is horrible, but I use a Proco Vintage Rat for dirt and it sounds really good!

Maybe I should look into the Cambridge 30??

• Members

I do sorta want one, but I've heard such bad things about their reliability...

This is my 2nd one... my first never had an issue, many gigs, many "wow, nice" Ac15 compliments ;) no issues... sold it around 2004 because I was not using it much...

now this one will be just a practice or travel amp... maybe I'll put it in my office for an ice breaker with new teenage angst clients that don't want to talk

Archived