OT: The Colbert Report

Faldoe

• Members

You're about a year too late.

I like the Daily Show better.

Really? This show is good at any time.

Both have their perks, if you want serious questions (a good thing) with crappy jokes (on John's part most of the time) then go with the Daily Show. If you want a lot of good comedy, some questions, but mostly just Colbert being wacky then you want the Colbert Report.

• Members

Really? This show is good at any time.

Both have their perks, if you want serious questions (a good thing) with crappy jokes (on John's part most of the time) then go with the Daily Show. If you want a lot of good comedy, some questions, but mostly just Colbert being wacky then you want the Colbert Report.

The joke's been wearing thin on the Report for me for a while. That whole meme has kind of jumped the shark. But I think the Daily Show is great at what it does. The level of ownage is like ten times as much as it is on the Report, they're all masters of finding the right footage for the right time, and it's got the wackiness with the other anchors as well.

• Members

The joke's been wearing thin on the Report for me for a while. That whole meme has kind of jumped the shark. But I think the Daily Show is great at what it does. The level of ownage is like ten times as much as it is on the Report, they're all masters of finding the right footage for the right time, and it's got the wackiness with the other anchors as well.

Its not funny to pick fun at those on their way out...

Lets see how well the show does if a Democratic candidate is elected... They have two options. A) going off the air for having no content. B) push the issues and elected officials in directions more in tune with the people who elect them.

• Members

Its not funny to pick fun at those on their way out...

Lets see how well the show does if a Democratic candidate is elected... They have two options. A) going off the air for having no content. B) push the issues and elected officials in directions more in tune with the people who elect them.

Have you seen the show? It's satire. They'll have PLENTY of content regardless who's elected. The concept of the show is brilliant, and Colbert (the man) will be around for quite some time. My wish is that his popularity eventually eclipses the personalities he is satirizing (Bill O'Reilly, et al) to such a degree that they have to get a new schtick not to appear as Colbert-imitators.

Great show! One of the few things that gives me hope that the country isnt completely brain dead.

• Members

The report is smarter comedy parody. Colbert is very good durning interviews, and always seems to stay in character.

THe daily show is more silly comedy. And stewert is lossing his edge, he always has to fit his horrible G.W Bush and Woody Allen Impressions in to his show which get annoying after a while. John is on point whenever hes on other peoples shows, example crossfire a few years ago, or doing interviews and speeches

I watch both nightly.

Do you see either of these guys taking over latenight TV on CBS or NBC?

• Members

The report is smarter comedy parody. Colbert is very good durning interviews, and always seems to stay in character.

THe daily show is more silly comedy. And stewert is lossing his edge, he always has to fit his horrible G.W Bush and Woody Allen Impressions in to his show which get annoying after a while. John is on point whenever hes on other peoples shows, example crossfire a few years ago, or doing interviews and speeches

I watch both nightly.

Do you see either of these guys taking over latenight TV on CBS or NBC?

Yes I agree about Stewart losing his edge, he as a lot of weak filler jokes that suck, but people like John Oliver make up for it. The interviews are always good on The Daily Show, good questions.

Anyone catch the last Colbert Report, night before last were he talked about Albert Hoffman and took LSD? Good stuff

• Members

What does it for me is that when Stewart did his "I'm not your monkey" bit a few years back, he started taking himself more seriously than the rest of us do, and we sort of saw the man behind the curtain. Kind of ruined it for me because now we know that Stewart is a far-left guy and he has to fill that part.

Colbert, on the other hand, came out as a conservative spoof of Oreily, which I think frees him up to redefine himself within that framework (fear of bears, wrist strong, putting people on notice, etc). That keeps Colbert fresh, IMHO.

• Members

Colbert, on the other hand, came out as a conservative spoof of Oreily, which I think frees him up to redefine himself within that framework (fear of bears, wrist strong, putting people on notice, etc). That keeps Colbert fresh, IMHO.

That is exactly what inhibits him.

• Members

Yes I agree about Stewart losing his edge, he as a lot of weak filler jokes that suck, but people like John Oliver make up for it. The interviews are always good on The Daily Show, good questions.

Anyone catch the last Colbert Report, night before last were he talked about Albert Hoffman and took LSD? Good stuff

Was that the one where he talked to the astronaut? That was amazing. Anyway, those two shows make me laugh and feel a little better about living in America every night, and for that alone I can forgive the occasional filler, or weak night. For a no-budget cable show on four nights a week, I think they do pretty damn well.

Archived