anyone use envelope filters? is it just a toy??

• Members

hehe. no no. an envelope filter used with delays and such and a beautiful thing. not wacka wacka but like analog synth filters. I have an MIJ aria one and a maxon auto filter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8WuA-iFEnc

here you can here it in through the song in this video. an ARIA autowah into a AD-9. Listen to the first song, the riffs run throughout the piece.

• Members

I've got one of Nitefly182's Maestro FS&H Clones.

Right now, the Filter Section is just a toy ... the Sample & Hold part is really cool for looping though. That's what made this pedal a winner... and now I'm resolved to find a spot for it. This morning I figured out a cool lo-fi setting when using overdrive in front of it, so we'll see what comes out of that.

[YOUTUBE]i6hCpLc13I0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]4TFX_dYJlHg[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

big fan of the EHX Q-Tron here, great for Zappaesque sounds
also still have the Lovetone Meatball, great for subtle filtered goodiness, or over the top cheesy synth stuff with a fuzz in the loop
and I also have the EHX Bi-filter, this is very versatile rackmount filter

• Members

I like em quite a bit

on a bwed instrument (where youhave a lot of envelope control) you can really play with em. [so consider getting that ebow back out]

on plucked instruments, having variablr response rates (The like above mentioned bi-filter) can be really helpful

I think, often "less is more" - take the dramatic setting that makes you go "wow" and back it down so you go "pretty neat"...than back it down a little more and your ears won't get as tired

• Members

I really like the Boss T-Wah because you can select if the envelope opens or closes with the pick attack. They track well so you can get used to how they open/close. Pretty responsive and easy to set up. Just two knobs.

If you really want to dive in the Meatball is one of the golden standards but that's mucho bucks.

• Members

i love my moog lpf--in conjunction with the cp-251 it really is unstoppable. so much crazy stuff. lfo controlling the frequency. square or sine wave sample hold. lag processor. it really becomes a new animal.

i also love the dod fx25b. Tim Kaiser built me a custom effect (the Isabella), seen on the left in the pic below. the effect includes a digitech pds 20/20 and pds 1002--both looping delays. and it has slow gear attack envelop type effect. anyhow you can patch the effects in any order you like. the fx25b in front of the delays is cool--but after is where it really shines. you get the loops going and then use the env.filter to smear everyting around. the fx25b doesn't have the flexibility of the moog, but it really sounds every bit as good imho.

DSCF1211.jpg

• Members

I have a Q Tron+. I use it for one song. But I think we are going to scrap the song so it will be getting kicked off my board (its feckin' huge!). I could probably replace it with three other pedals.

Archived