WHAT? no individual song threads?

Roald

• Members

You could split up conceptually between "Synth-based" and "Sample-based" - making one part a place for analog, VA, VST plugins - and the other part for workstations and "realistic" sounds, or big sample libraries and samplers.

It means more work for the mods as they have to move more threads, but you could at least get more stickies in the new subforums explaining terminology, where to find stuff, what is interesting to buy.

This frees up enough of KSS "Main" for tracks and OT discussion or genres/new music you've found. KSS Main then only has 2 sticky threads left: "HELP, MY THREAD WAS MOVED" explaining that it's probably gone into any of the subforums and another "THESE ARE THE RULES". Nobody will actually read this, but having it in print offers more than the TOC and gives the mods and more importantly, the visitors more stability as decisions aren't that ad-hoc or drastical anymore. The demos clusterchord compiled can be added to "Synth-based". Sample-based can have a sticky explaining to people what 64-note polyphony means in Rolandese. Fusion talk goes in there, but if you're asking about the PM or AN part of the Fusion, get the other. Of those 3 forums, KSS Main itself takes up the most traffic but the other forums will have the highest useful information density; something that's now made problematically by having everything in KSS Main (you have to wade through off-topic stuff).

There. 3 forums, a reasonably equal piece of the cake, slower tempo, and more breathing space for everyone. Good idea?

I used to think that splits along the technical boundaries made alot of sense. But for many of us the current problem just gets worse less posts per section, but having to wade through 2 other sectsion that you are basically out of touch with. The same justifcation I guess for posting questions about mixing and mastering in here. And to be fair to the guitar band types who play keys - I guess its also why lots of guitar band stuff comes up here - which irratates the I hate guitar bands crowd (yeh Im one of them :))

So maybe a split across the genre boundaries which *kind of* also has a gear type boundary with it.

Classical/Jazz types - pianos, romplers mostly

Rock/Generic - pianos, romplers, EPs, organs, and yeh I know - they like ther Nord leads and moogs sometimes as well.

Electronica/dance - synths and samplers and all the hacks you can do with them. Naturally the odd rompler thing will come up here, especially with the likes of the fusion and oasys.

Naturally the same subjects could sometimes come up in all three.

What I like about this is that I think there is maybe more of a division between the kind of music and techniques we each follow then necessarily the gear we use to do it. Witness the endless you have too many synths debates of old - maybe even the Oasys wars of old can be attributed to views there are more common to genres.

Even the most die hard dance music fanatic will ocassional want to use a piano for something, and probably has a rompler, but asking which rompler to a bunch of rock band types is probably going to yield one lot of suggestions, jazzers another lot.. etc. Just like which synth question yield the same list of allmost every recent VA synth on the planet - even when the poor guy asking says what kind of music hes making - because half of us dont understand any genres outside our core focus and so dont know why a usually horrible triton can actually be the best choice sometimes, or cant understand why there are those who think yamaha pianos are the best ever while other of us think they are trully crap and prefer roland offerings, or even korgs, or why the nord vs virus debates come up some much - rocker prefer nords it more traditional, electronica/dance types often prefer the virus.

If nothing else, a split on these lines would probably do one positive - those core foks in section would have a greater chance of being like minded. The down side - well less cross polination of ideas from outside your normal thing.

For those of us who didnt go over to analogia due to issues here, then thats the real positive about that forum - mostly synth heads, but thats been diluted a bit now. Just a shame some idiots thought it was just a winging zone for people who got kicked out of here...

Perhaps an interesting start might be a couple of polls - what is you genre focus in one poll and what is you gear focus in another poll. That might inform you best about how the active user base is split up from two views. Other may be needed too. One thing for sure - find the right way to split is going to be hard. I do think that along lines of common understanding of gear, approaches and music may be alot more harmonious then strictly across technical or gear classication boundaries.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

whoa...the thread kind of exploded....

in reaction to Gus..please type in my name in the nonfunctional search feature. I lost around 2000 postcount after the HC crash so..erm...3000 posts is not enough to be taken seriously? Besides, I was not offending anyone, I was just offering several constructive criticisms (as did others THANKS!!). Except in your case, because moving song threads, from my point of view, was one of the most utterly stupid decisions that I encountered in all those up-down rocknroll years at HC.

Oh, the latest track I posted was on the 7th of july (thread start) but went off the page in no time. In fact, it went off so fast, I can't blame you, Gus, for not having seen it while moderating. Check my sig.

• Members

in reaction to Gus..please type in my name in the nonfunctional search feature. I lost around 2000 postcount after the HC crash so..erm...3000 posts is not enough to be taken seriously? Besides, I was not offending anyone, I was just offering several constructive criticisms (
as did others THANKS!!
). Except in your case, because moving song threads, from my point of view, was one of the most utterly stupid decisions that I encountered in all those up-down rocknroll years at HC.

Oh, the latest track I posted was on the 7th of july (thread start) but went off the page in no time. In fact, it went off so fast, I can't blame you, Gus, for not having seen it while moderating. Check my sig.

Nice track by the way. :)

• Members

Oh, and can we get a sticky for all these synth repair and restoration threads. They're crowding out all the "what should I buy" and "important announcements about miscreant forum users" threads. (just kidding, the synth fixing threads are my favorite ones)

Anyway... ;)

in reaction to Gus..please type in my name in the nonfunctional search feature. I lost around 2000 postcount after the HC crash so..erm...3000 posts is not enough to be taken seriously? Besides, I was not offending anyone, I was just offering several constructive criticisms (
as did others THANKS!!
). Except in your case, because moving song threads, from my point of view, was one of the most utterly stupid decisions that I encountered in all those up-down rocknroll years at HC.

Do you call "constructive criticism" calling one of my decisions "the most utterly stupid decision" ? And yet you assume one should not feel offended?

I did not delete/censored/banned anything. I just moved "listen to my music" posts to the thread they should belong.

I guess you are old enough to try to have you learn some good manners, but next time TRY being at least, polite.

• Members

I think that a dedicated forum for music where each song has it's own thread of discussion is better for several reasons:

1) easier search and selection of what can be of interest

2) easier collection of opinions...what happens really when you want to post a comment to a track that is 5 pages before? Following the whole thing is crazy, you should read a lot of stuff you don't care and loose a lot of time...better let it down. If the music thread wasn't sticky it would be dead already.

3) The forum itself would be like a sticky, but the better threads would be remaining in the first pages instead of everything clogging the actual sticky in a forced way.

I think that the music "showcasing" is a very important element in a place like this one, it's a great source of information on what basically is discussed in the forums, both for the listeners that can ask about used techniques and for the posters that can have useful hints for their work. It deserves a better management...imagine what would be the sticky thread if for every song there were 15-20 replies....not threaded!!!

:)

• Members

Yoozer, thanks for your thoughtful post. (as always!) I agree that synthforum has way too many splits and that slows the forum down. I would suggest

1 Synth hardware / Sounddesign / General

2 Technique / Music theory / Live playing

3 Music / Tracks / Releases

There should be no problems in moving "song threads" to the correct subforum because they "clean up themselves" by going off the page of subforum 1 in a second so the poster will learn to repost in subforum 3 soon enough.

obviously a forum and what the forum is about "defines itself". However, I think that when you'd organise stuff in 3 subforums you would promote more tech-issues and making music. Which is what instruments are about :D

• Members

I have to agree with Roald, it does seem a shame to move to a single thread. I like hearing stuff different now and again and seeing a new thread gives me that alarm call to check something out.

So, Gus, as you like people to be polite, and I'm an gentleman of english persuasion, I would like to make a request to return to the old format. If you would be so kind to do this I'm sure things would return to normal and there wouldn't be any mud slinging..

Also I think it would be more productive to let pighood and fans have their own sticky so they don't populate the forum with all that baby talk (which isn't always my cup of tea). We could call it " Teh Sty thread"...

• Members

Also I think it would be more productive to let pighood and fans have their own sticky so they don't populate the forum with all that baby talk (which isn't always my cup of tea). We could call it " Teh Sty thread"...

+1 000 000 - That crud has NOTHING to do with Keys, Synths, Samplers or Music in general.

• Members

I ask again... what happened to cause this new clusterf*ck of interest in changing something that is and has been just fine? KSS isn't perfect for me either, but I've learned to value the variety of topics and the range interesting personalities here - even those who I don't care for.

So, Gus, as you like people to be polite, and I'm an gentleman of english persuasion, I would like to make a request to return to the old format. If you would be so kind to do this I'm sure things would return to normal and there wouldn't be any mud slinging..

What is funnier is that... I ALREADY DID IT.

Just check ChasIII and jigg's threads.

• Members

+1 000 000 - That crud has NOTHING to do with Keys, Synths, Samplers or Music in general.

I'd find it difficult to link it with anything else except the contents of babies nappies... though, I am guilty of infantile humour myself sometimes... especially when it comes to Rollerators cat army ;)

Archived