Proco Rat... what to look for?

Stubacca

• Members

I am sure this is the 1,000 version of this thread and for that... I apologize. I have heard many people here endorse the RAT and after checking out some clips I want to purchase one and try it out for myself. What version should I go for? Also, do I go stock or look for a modified version and if so, what mod's?

Thanks in advance!

• Members

I've never tried a modded one, but I think the stock Rats are great. If you have any chance I'd recommend trying before buying to see which one suits you best. If you're concerned about the lm308 chip keep an eye out for the Rats with the flat enclosures, as from my experience they seem to have changed the chips when they changed the enclosures. Regardless, a Rat will still sound like a Rat and at this point I'd say to keep an eye out for a cheaper one to see if you like 'em.

• Members

I've had a Rat2 modded by Keeley, a couple of Vintage, Big Box Reissues, a Made in China Rat 2 (sounded like a stock DS-1) and now I have a '90s Turbo Rat with original LM308n chip on the way.

IMO, Rats can be a bit bright so I'm hoping that the Turbo is a darker, fuzzy version of the basic tone that I like.

• Members
this is what pbone and i have

mid to late 80's small box.

ProCo_RAT2or.jpg

I've got one like that too. I have another one that dates to '97 and it sounds pretty similar to it. I've had and tried Rats from all different eras and I've liked pretty much all of them except for one of the brand new Rat II's.

• Members

I have a modded large-box from the '90s. LM308. Modded up and down with everything under the sun.

It's a fine piece of work, I love that pedal. Highly recommend the older Rats, and would suggest checking out modded variants if possible.

• Members

Any particular reason you are wanting a Rat? I've played a strat through Rat and Turbo Rat for 15 years, and I finally used a Blues Driver one day out of necessity, and I haven't touched my rat pedals since, literally they are sitting where I tossed them when I plugged in the BD several months ago.

• Members

Any particular reason you are wanting a Rat? I've played a strat through Rat and Turbo Rat for 15 years, and I finally used a Blues Driver one day out of necessity, and I haven't touched my rat pedals since, literally they are sitting where I tossed them when I plugged in the BD several months ago.

My main reason for wanting a RAT is because of the talk it gets on this board. I checked out some sound clips and it was enough for me to want to try one out. Is your BD a stock version or modified? I have a Keeley BD... you would say its better?

• Members

Holy {censored}! I just got my Turbo Rat. Checked the pots and found that it is an
'89 model with original LM308n chip.

Long story, short. This is by far the best Rat I have ever heard in my life and I will never, and I mine ever, take it off my board.

Its frickin' Sonic Youth in a box :rawk:

• Members

Borrowed my mates Rat, must be an earlier Rat II as it was in a flat box not a slanted one. His is modded with the LM308 Chip. I found that when i played it it had like a barriar around the rat i couldnt break through. I just coulnt cut through the mix..ShredMaster cuts through with ease:)

• Members
^ I've got a new turbo rat with the lm308 put in it that I like.

But I only really like it with the gain at 9:30 and filter at around 2:30. I don't like it with the gain knob higher.
:mad:

Right now, its set to the following:

Distortion: 2
Filter: 2:45
Volume: 11

Archived