Fish n' Chips EQ?

• Members

I was going to buy a MXR 10 Band to throw in my Valveking heads effect loop but, I've heard good things about the cheap danelectro pedal, and was wondering if it could do what I needed for that price....hell.

I'm looking for just a boost in the low mid "growl" range. Other than not looking as good and being as sturdy (and less 2 freq's) as the MXR, are there any cons about it?

• Members

so the fish and chips are "good for the price" (damn i hate that term) but they're rubbish for live situations cause it's so tiny and the button is so small that well, it's just rubbish! ....

hmm, still though, might get one for tone shaping

i wouldnt call it rubbish, its most likely the best eq for under 100 bucks

so the fish and chips are "good for the price" (damn i hate that term) but they're rubbish for live situations cause it's so tiny and the button is so small that well, it's just rubbish! ....

The Fish Chips is a good EQ pedal - period.

Pros:

Good range of boost / cut.
Plenty of EQ bands for most purposes.
Separate output level control means you can adjust EQ and compensate to get unity gain, OR you can use it as a clean boost.
Pretty low noise.
Extremely cost effective.

Cons:

Plastic case may not hold up to extreme stomp action over time.
Uses a buffer - not TB switching. It's not a "bad" sounding buffer IMO though.
Footswitch is kind of small.
Rear panel jacks are PCB mounted, not case mounted, so you should use care if you connect / disconnect cables to / from it a lot.

I've got a pretty expensive pedal board setup, with some pretty high dollar pedals, and yet I have never felt the need to replace my Fish and Chips. Take that FWIW. :wave:

• Members

So you have never owned one or used it in a live situation yet you already know it's rubbish. I wouldn't be turning it off anyway. Thanks for the "insight".

• Members
The Fish Chips is a good EQ pedal - period.

Pros:

Good range of boost / cut.

Plenty of EQ bands for most purposes.

Separate output level control means you can adjust EQ and compensate to get unity gain, OR you can use it as a clean boost.

Pretty low noise.

Extremely cost effective.

Cons:

Plastic case may not hold up to
extreme
stomp action over time.

Uses a buffer - not TB switching. It's not a "bad" sounding buffer IMO though.

Footswitch is kind of small.

Rear panel jacks are PCB mounted, not case mounted, so you should use care if you connect / disconnect cables to / from it a lot.

I've got a pretty expensive pedal board setup, with some pretty high dollar pedals, and yet I have never felt the need to replace my Fish and Chips. Take that FWIW.
:wave:

I was going to post my opinion but this pretty much says it all. Right on the money! :thu:

• Members

So you have never owned one or used it in a live situation yet you already know it's rubbish. I wouldn't be turning it off anyway. Thanks for the "insight".

Uh. You are being pretty bitchy there mister n00b

Also I have the fish n chips . Never have gigged it. Its freakin awesome for home use

• Members

:whisper:
I think he was trying to summarize the previous posts / opinions, not offer any insight.
:)

Yeah, sorry, I'm used to having my guard up as I come from another... wasteland of a forum.

My bad on that, thanks for the review. I find when most people say "good for the money" they really mean "good". I'll pick one up tomorrow and throw it in my loop! Thanks.

• Members

I just remembered one more thing worth mentioning: If you are going to power it with batteries, make sure to replace them constantly, specially before a gig, mine feedbacks uncontrollably when the battery is weak. I am using a pedal power now so that's no longer an issue.

• Members

I just remembered one more thing worth mentioning: If you are going to power it with batteries, make sure to replace them constantly, specially before a gig, mine feedbacks uncontrollably when the battery is weak. I am using a pedal power now so that's no longer an issue.

I use a 1Spot so I guess I'd be ok, thanks for the heads up.

Archived