Wanting Jazzmaster....help.

• Members

The updated version seems like Fender's attempt to bring the Jazzmaster to more people...I can understand people wanting the updated specs.

I, personally, would rather have the old style...what I'm used to hearing on records.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just want to throw in AGAIN that it the standard jazzmaster system is set up right, it is the BEST vibrato system available... but it is hard to find someone to do it right... that trem lock- amazing, jangly long break angel - oh yeah! solid uning despit upa nd down vibrato bar bending - wow!

• Members
Oooh, and you're discounting all the people who want one simply because it looks so {censored}ing cool? Foolish!
:D

Haha, you're right. I was wrong.
I do think that serious musicians, that don't care a lot about the looks, choose the jazzmaster because it just sounds so different than others. Probably has a lot to do with less sustain, so you get these very warm tones that fade out pretty quickly. I like that.

Put a new, different bridge on my jazzmaster, and I don't think I'd like the sound as much as before the change.

• Members
If only Leo had designed a bridge that was a good as the vibrato system...

Hangwire, ever tried a Maestro trem? I had one on an Ibanez ES-355. Absolutely brilliant.

the bridge is good... all it needs it .10 strings and a PROPER set up... it floats and doesn't snag like a Bigsby.

Never played a Maestro except for one that was messed up on an old SG... and it showed as it was a complete seasick fest just playing open chords :freak:

• Members

If only Leo had designed a bridge that was a good as the vibrato system...

Hangwire, ever tried a Maestro trem? I had one on an Ibanez ES-355. Absolutely brilliant.

good, how? if you like the way a jazzmaster sounds, the bridge is pretty essential to that. it replaces the body as the chief resonating part like the telecaster replaced the neck pickup with a capacitor

• Members

I've been confused about the thin skin thing..... Is a thin skin, a AVRI...or is different?

If they are different, I hardly ever see them.....Any tips on picking one up?

thin skins are like custom shop fenders that are exclusive to three dealers... i think wildwood is the biggest, i thinkt heres a place called daves, and then my local shop Music Machine has them too. i think they are about the same price as avri's... but they are sweet. i think the limited jazzmasters sell out real fast, but you might try giving any one of those places a call. i think you can do jsut a down payment to hold one for you. mmguitar.com is musicmachine

• Members
the bridge is good... all it needs it .10 strings and a PROPER set up... it floats and doesn't snag like a Bigsby.

Never played a Maestro except for one that was messed up on an old SG... and it showed as it was a complete seasick fest just playing open chords
:freak:

No, the bridge is rubbish! :D The saddle height screws move about and fall out. I coated mine in silver nail varnish to keep them there. The CIJ saddle grooves are tighter than the AVRI ones so 10's slid off mine when I bought it. All the bridge needs is a saddle redesign and it'd be great. I don't like the sound with a Mustang bridge.

Some people talk of the vibrato design being bad. It's not. It's great. The trck is to get the bridge going right. Shimming the neck was essential to me to get a better string angle over the bridge.

A bad Maestro is indeed bad but a well setup Bigsby or Maestro is a fabulous thing. Oddly enough, the best trem system I've used was on a DeArmond T-400. It has a roller bridge and a DeArmond Bigsby knock-off. Absolutely rock solid, really nice system.

• Members

gotcha.

whats the difference in sound between stock (Japanese or USA) and the mustang bridge? someone's mentioned it, but not explained the actual change in tone/playability?

i've been looking at jazzmasters recently.. the mexican ones aren't too offensive to me. i haven't tried one yet, but i think i'll either like the shortened bridge length, or i'll get a non MIM and put the add-on into the bridge plate to increase the angle.

i had a jap jaguar reissue in the 90's and i loved that guitar.. my first post-intrduction guitar, but i just couldn't live with the string slippage and noisey pickups after i got out of my placebo phase.

• Members

Well, I found the stock CIJ bridge to be bright sounding. The Mustang bridge added this almost sort of 'clunky' sound to it. It's hard to describe. it just sounded wrong, if that makes sense :D

In terms of playability, the Mustang bridge is set for a 7.25" radius. The saddles have no saddle height screws, which takes away the dilemma of slipping height screws. Warmoth sell a modified Mustang bridge with the four outer saddles having height screws and the middle two saddles being fixed.

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/bridges/bridges.cfm?fuseaction=mustang_modified

• Members

i say get an avri, if it tickles your fancy enough start acquiring the funds for a vintage one, sell the avri to fund the purchase.

the sound is supposed to be pretty similar between avri and vintage, but IMO vintage guitar are all about the feel.

me? i'll take my vintage jaguar over a jazzmaster any day. ;)

BMR013.jpg

• Members

Well, I found the stock CIJ bridge to be bright sounding. The Mustang bridge added this almost sort of 'clunky' sound to it. It's hard to describe. it just sounded wrong, if that makes sense
:D

In terms of playability, the Mustang bridge is set for a 7.25" radius. The saddles have no saddle height screws, which takes away the dilemma of slipping height screws. Warmoth sell a modified Mustang bridge with the four outer saddles having height screws and the middle two saddles being fixed.

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/bridges/bridges.cfm?fuseaction=mustang_modified

avri jazzmasters have a 7.25 radius so saddle height isn't an issue.

• Members

i picked up a CIJ on a whim last time i was in tokyo and i love it.

but is should add:

the stock pickups were so trebly i bought some curtis novak replacements immediately. 'vintage' for the neck and p-90 style for the bridge (I believe J once mentioned p-90's were his favourite pickup). neither sound jangly alone like i was hoping for but in between position is closer. the bridge position is very versatile and goes well with fuzz / distortion. the neck position is quite tame and i don't find myself using it that much.

i tried a buzz-stop but that just didn't feel right then got a mustang bridge which complete my guitars beauty and made me smitten

never out of tune and solid.

hate to say this but it's probably not the vintage JM sound but more versatile in a way. might even sound like a, gulp, strat ...

so: go to a place with a good selection of vintage and new and try a bunch out head-to-head.

• Members

I gots the AVRI and love it. I have not played the CIJ or MIM, but if you plan to do any "upgrading" at all (pickups, bridge, etc) then why not just go for a used AVRI? That was my approach. I love the pickups, warm and definitely hot enough for me. I can get a ton of different tones outta this thing. The trem system is awesome. I even think the bridge is just fine if you set it up correctly. I tried a modified Warmoth Mustang bridge, but am considering just going back to stock and maybe filing the grooves a little deeper to hold the strings better. I use 11's.

Good luck!

• Members

AVRIs are great guitars.

though i have to say the thin skin and vintage jazzmasters i have also played were outstanding.

i just couldn't justify paying more for something that didn't really make enough difference (thin skin)

or buying something i'd be scared to take on stage (vintage)

AVRI is a solid guitar, and it IS a jazzmaster so who cares!

agck151.jpg

• Members

jazzo.jpg

do you have to mes with the guiatr at all as far as attaching the pieces that are in the body that the saddle part sits on?

i presume these are easier to set intonation with aswell? it looks pretty decent too.

• Members

Well, the cups that the Gotoh TOM bridge posts sit in are not the same size as that of the Jag/Jazz/Mustang, so that's pretty much all that needs to be well considered. Intonation is ace, sustain is through the roof (esp with the addition of an ivory nut), and it surprisingly never goes out of tune during even moderate trem usage.

Not for everyone, but it's a practical mod that keeps the smiles going.

Archived