Wanting Jazzmaster....help.

• Members

I'm wanting to pick up a Jazzmaster sometime in the near future.

I'm thinking of picking up a AVRI....though I'd love a vintage one.

I know vintage stuff has mojo like nothing else but...how do the AVRI compare? I played one recently and thought it sounded great though it was with an unfamiliar amp.

Is it really worth to spend twice/three times as much for a vintage one?

With a pickup upgrade would I be in the vintage ballpark?

Any input would be great.

......and yes I've searched, but you guys talk about Jazzmasters so much I waded through 6-7 pages and didn't find what I was looking for... :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

im getting the classic player one i think its gonna be awesome for like half the price

The problem with the Classic Player ones is that their specs are so different from real Jazzmasters and Jaguars. They won't be anything like a Vintage Jazzmaster or Jaguar.

• Members

What exactly are the improvements/bastardizations of the classic player Jaguars/Jazzmasters?

Moved trem, TOM bridge, Neck radius change, Hotter "modern" pickups.

The things that made Jaguars and Jazzmasters what they were, basically.

• Members

Moved trem, TOM bridge, Neck radius change, Hotter "modern" pickups.

The things that made Jaguars and Jazzmasters what they were, basically.

To go further in depth, the closer trem also affects the behind the bridge technique which a lot of Jag/JM users tend to use. The finish is poly, so it will not wear whatsoever like a vintage one. Price wise they are actually not that much cheaper. I bought a AVRI Jazzmaster for $700 and a AVRI Jag for $800. There are quite a few topics on this matter at Offsetguitars.com , so I would suggest checking those out before you decide.

• Members

sigh, i was under the impression that alot of people added toms to there avri mabye i should just save up the extra cash then? i played the elvis costello jazzmaster what are the differences between that and the old one/ avri / player series

• Members
sigh, i was under the impression that alot of people added toms to there avri

Nope. Some add mustang saddles to their bridges, but that's about it.

For the record, I play a Jaguar HH. Even after drastically raising the tailpiece, it still doesn't have the jangly sound associated with traditional Jaguars. Even when I replace the pickups, it still won't. The length of the strings behind the bridge going to the tailpiece just aren't long enough.

The things that makes jaguars and jazzmasters sound the way they do (at least a big part of it) is the string length behind the bridge and the break angle over the bridge. A sharper angle and less string length behind the bridge makes the Jaguar/Jazzmaster loose that jangly sound. A TOM even moreso.

Add in hot "modern" pickups, and I doubt they'll sound much like traditional versions at all.

Aside from that, I love the vintage shape necks. A radius change is a complete dealbreaker for me. Even if the rest of the specs were right on - that kills it IMO. The vintage radius necks are so comfy. :cry:

I suggest looking at a MIJ/CIJ model instead. Craftsmanship on par with MIA's and close to vintage specs.

Or, maybe you want the changes. That's your call.

Personally, I'd go with a MIJ over the Classic player, and two MIJ's over the AVRI...

• Members
My AVRI. picked it up a few weeks ago ....used....

I haven't played a vintage piece, but i cant imagine it being much better than this. such a solid guitar. Beauty is there in spades.

I might change the pickups.. but it's too early to tell.

103_4936.jpg

my. god. i need to avoid jazzmaster threads.:cry::cry::cry:

• Members
My AVRI. picked it up a few weeks ago ....used....

I haven't played a vintage piece, but i cant imagine it being much better than this. such a solid guitar. Beauty is there in spades.

I might change the pickups.. but it's too early to tell.

103_4936.jpg

what have you done to it setup wise to avoid all the usual JM complaints/issues?

• Members
I'm wanting to pick up a Jazzmaster sometime in the near future.

I'm thinking of picking up a AVRI....though I'd love a vintage one.

I know vintage stuff has mojo like nothing else but...how do the AVRI compare? I played one recently and thought it sounded great though it was with an unfamiliar amp.

Is it really worth to spend twice/three times as much for a vintage one?

With a pickup upgrade would I be in the vintage ballpark?

Any input would be great.

......and yes I've searched, but you guys talk about Jazzmasters so much I waded through 6-7 pages and didn't find what I was looking for...
:)

Yeah da vintages has lots of Mojo. My first Jazzmaster experience was with a 03' 62" reissue that felt and sounded awesome. Then I played this cheaper on I went to go check out - All Parts neck, unknown body and it felt like crap, then the seller let me play his vintage clay dot neck JM with a old body - not same age as neck, but it sounded and felt :love::love::love:

• Members

The things that makes jaguars and jazzmasters sound the way they do (at least a big part of it) is the string length behind the bridge and the break angle over the bridge. A sharper angle and less string length behind the bridge makes the Jaguar/Jazzmaster loose that jangly sound. A TOM even moreso.

Add in hot "modern" pickups, and I doubt they'll sound much like traditional versions at all.

Aside from that, I love the vintage shape necks. A radius change is a complete dealbreaker for me. Even if the rest of the specs were right on - that kills it IMO. The vintage radius necks are so comfy.
:cry:

I don't think you'd lose that much character changing from the stock JM bridge to a TOM bridge. You will get a little more sustain with a TOM bridge but the neck angle and traditional JM trem will keep everything sounding good. If you changed fom the JM bridge to a Mustang bridge, I personally think the sound changes way more than with using a TOM bridge. Very plinky-plonky, reminded me of how a 335 I once had with a trapeze tailpiece sounded.

• Members
I'd say they're a bastardization of a guitar to make it idiot-proof for all the poser scene-kids.

Opinions are funny like that.

...and no! I'm too old to be a poser scene kid and I like the idea of a non-vintage radius JM! 7.25" radius = fail in my eyes :D

• Members

People buy the jazzmaster because it sounds different than all those other guitars. Some stuff can be seen as downsides, but are actually making the guitar sound different from other guitars in a good way.

The only thing I changed on my usa jazzmaster is mustang bridge saddles on the jazzmaster bridge to prevent the strings from jumping out of their spots.

If you want a jazzmaster with other specs, I suggest you look for a strat or a tele.

Juzz. :)

• Members

despite the non vintage spec configuration.... I still would like to give it a try.... just because it may not sound exactly like a vintage Jazzmaster doesn't mean it won't have some usable tones... though.... I am a little put off that the finish isn't nitro but for that price I don't expect it to be really...

Archived