Wanting Jazzmaster....help.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I'm about to have a AVRI on the way.

Ultra...you say the bridge post aren't the same size, what did you do to remedy this? Also, you say the sustain is better with this?

Sorry, I poorly stated that and was a bit sleepy at the time. I meant to say that the original post spacing is not precise with the Gotoh, although the cups fit with a bit of a push without drilling. Had to grind the pins a tad to fit the bridge assembly on, however.

Sustain is so much better than with original Jag/Jazz bridge. :thu:

• Members

Its supposedly an original that some guy has been trying to sell on Gbase and Ebay, but it has a number of things wrong with it. The guy also has some back story about owning a bunch of guitars and how he doesn't need to sell it. I think it does look cool, but too much BS mojo attached......plus $$$$

• Members

Well, the cups that the Gotoh TOM bridge posts sit in are not the same size as that of the Jag/Jazz/Mustang, so that's pretty much all that needs to be well considered. Intonation is ace, sustain is through the roof (esp with the addition of an ivory nut), and it surprisingly never goes out of tune during even moderate trem usage.

Not for everyone, but it's a practical mod that keeps the smiles going.

If you hunt around, you can find a bridge that fits directly. I've got an old TOM bridge taken from an Aria 335. The bridge posts fit perfectly into the space vacated by the JM bridge cups. LIke this poster says, the sustain goes up and I've not found any problems with tuning when using the trem.

• Members

i've had a real 65 and an AVRI. both great guitars. i'll be honest though. the 65, unfortunately, crapped all over the RI. i ultimately traded the '65 for a '67 tele w/ bigsby, sa it was the perfect mix of JM and telecaster (my favorite guitar). if i were buying a JM now, it would absolutely be the brilliant e. costello reissue.:love:

Archived