Now I know why Big Muffs are so popular

cyclists

• Members

OK I've had a muff for awhile now but never really played with it much. I just got finished with it and I figured out why so many people like them. You can play the most absolute sloppiest crap with one and it sounds amazing! My guitar wasn't even in tune but with the muff it didn't even matter. It's like the muff is a synthesizer that throws away your guitar's tone, locks onto the note naturally and substitutes its own harmonic content. It's pretty cool.

• Members

OK I've had a muff for awhile now but never really played with it much. I just got finished with it and I figured out why so many people like them. You can play the most absolute sloppiest crap with one and it sounds amazing! My guitar wasn't even in tune but with the muff it didn't even matter. It's like the muff is a synthesizer that throws away your guitar's tone, locks onto the note naturally and substitutes its own harmonic content. It's pretty cool.

I won't disagree. You can do a lot of stuff you cant with a regular distortion.

• Members

...I figured out why so many people like them. You can play the most absolute sloppiest crap with one and it sounds amazing!...It's pretty cool.

I'm still looking in my Little Big Muff for that "Violin-like sustain" I was promised. I haven't yet found a setting that sounds violin-like. Just about everywhere I dial it, it sounds much noisier, fuzzier, dirtier, raggedier than any violin. Where's the Carlos Santana tone? There must be more to his sound than just a Muff (lots of tone in his fingers, but it's not ALL there, I know. How are his stompboxes setup?).

I keep looking for an opening with this pedal, but most of my music is not noisy enough for that thang. Haven't written it off yet though.

• Members

agreed. that is their charm/niche. i don't think that makes them useless for great players though, it's an awesome effect in its own obliterating way. although i just built a muff to skreddy specs, and it's less this way. more articulate and closer to fuzz face.

• Members

I'm still looking in my Little Big Muff for that "Violin-like sustain" I was promised. I haven't yet found a setting that sounds violin-like. Just about everywhere I dial it, it sounds much noisier, fuzzier, dirtier, raggedier than any violin. Where's the Carlos Santana tone? There must be more to his sound than just a Muff (lots of tone in his fingers, but it's not ALL there, I know. How are his stompboxes setup?).

I keep looking for an opening with this pedal, but most of my music is not noisy enough for that thang. Haven't written it off yet though.

Try out a Tonebender clone for violin type fuzz. My MJM Britbender with delay used to be a killer, violinlike sustain monster.

• Members
i got rid of my muff, not the tone i'm looking for

i wanna try a fuzz face next, anyone have any input?

Same here, I'm in the process of getting rid of my muff. I'm probably going to end up with a fulltone '69 sooner or later, they've got that early fuzz face sound that is :love::love::love:.

• Members

It's the synth like fuzz. I had an old early 80's big muff that I hated. Not synth like at all. Then I came across a friend who had a green big muff and never looked back. I got one of those but hated the lack of true bypass. It had the synth fuzz but sucked tone really bad when off. I got a clone by Baja Tech Custom a Da Moaf and now I have the synth fuzz with true bypass and loving it.
:thu:

• Members

I'm just getting into the whole pedal addiction and fuzz is next on the list. Probably gonna pick up a used Big Muff. Is the little Big Muff identical except for the size of the casing? No tonal/performance/component difference?

• Members

Stack it with an overdrive. It'll smooth it out and get that big tone you're looking for.

Archived