Who is planning on buying the Prophet 08?

ARP

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Did any of you read direct buy Dave Smith is offering? You can return the synth if you don't like it (in a reasonable amount of time).

Returning the synth is one thing - getting your VAT/duty back off custom is somethig else - probably near impossible.

• Members

Quote by Khazul

"Returning the synth is one thing - getting your VAT/duty back off custom is somethig else - probably near impossible."

Our European friends continue to pay more for everything. You'll have to spend more time making sure you want ANY Instrument before you buy one. There's a lot of demos on mfg. websites these days, something we didn't have before the Internet. I bought the last two instruments I own by listening to demos over the Internet. Music stores where I live don't stock many KB's.

Mike T.

• Members

In my opinion, Prophet '08 has the potential to repeat the success of Yamaha DX7. It's the first affordable analogue polyphonic keyboard synthesizer since quite a long time.

For me it means the long awaited end of Virtual Analogue. I've never liked the shortcomings of VAs and here comes the real thing for the sensible price. At the same time it is a complete system with a keyboard that looks like a synthesizer :cool: not like a production line control console (Korg Radias):rolleyes:

• Members

Mine will be here tomorrow! :D

Expect another dedicated webpage similar to my Evolver Resource page http://www.carbon111.com/evolver.html

I'll post an in-depth review here on the forum as soon as I've had some time with it.

I have a couple of new stands for the studio, now I just need to figure out how to "shoe horn" the Prophet '08 and the Minimoog in there without creating some serious clutter.

• Members
Wait a minute... Carbon, what happened to "I sold everything for an OASYS and I don't need anything else?"
:D

I never said anything like that! :eek:

I said "I'm selling most of my gear and getting an Oasys".
I sold or got rid of: Nord Electro 73, Nord Lead 2X, Ensoniq VFX, Kurzweil PC2R, Yamaha TG33, Yamaha TG55, Alesis Fusion 8HD, Waldorf Q, Kawai K5000, Roland V-Synth, a couple Electribes, a whole bunch of outboard, and some other bits and pieces...

Do you see any of my analog gear in that list? ;)
I still have the Serge Modular, Korg Lambda, Little Phatty, Moogerfoogers, Universal Audio gear, etc...

The Oasys allowed me to consolidate most of the digital side of my studio in one piece. After all the stuff I sold, I only needed to come up with about two grand out-of-pocket to purchase it. (Check out http://www.carbon111.com/oasys.html for the whole story...)

I went from having over twenty five synths and modules to around seven in one fell swoop!

I kept the Polyevolver Keyboard but had to sell it a while back to generate enough cash to do an emergency repair on my front porch (termites...long story) - I had planned at that point on replacing the PEK down the road with a PER. Since I mainly used the PEK for analog-type timbres (check the MP3s on my Evolver Resource Page), the P'08 turned out to be a much better fit for my needs.

...now I just have to be careful to avoid clutter again...fortunately I've got the reorg all mapped out :freak:

rusty1.jpg

• Members

I never said anything like that!
:eek:

I said

Thinking of selling "some stuff"...for an OASYS

Yeah, I know, one of "those" threads...
:eek::D

I'm thinking of selling everything
except
for the Serge Modular, waldorf Microwave XT, the Moog Little Phatty and the Yamaha VL-1 and getting a Korg OASYS 76.

:thu:

• Members
Ah. Then I stand corrected, Mr. Carbon.
:thu:
I'm anxious to hear what what you (and others) have to say about the '08.

No prob.

A lot of folks got the wrong idea about me and the "O" but, trust me, we're just good friends. ;)

As I said, I get my mitts on the P'08 tomorrow...I should be able to post something in the evening.

Its weird, but the P'08 and the Mini I just got, have me more excited about synths than I've been since I bought my very first one!! :eek:

• Members

I can't afford one immediately, but I'll be selling some gear (desktop Evolver included) to get a P'08.

It doesn't bother me to give Dave Smith my money without testing one out in person first. I signed up for the original Evolver as soon he announced he was taking orders (at least a few months before they shipped). And it has not disappointed me at all, except I want more knobs. I like the P'08 over the PEK for several reasons: all analog (don't use the digital parts of the Evo much), more voices, cheaper, and better knobs. Oh, and it looks hot! :thu:

Archived