OT: The Official Anime Discussion

• Members

not a big fan here. but i enjoyed a few at least and they are listed below.

perfectblue.jpg

perfect blue (satoshi kon, 1997)

1145243465904_Samurai_Champloo_9618.jpg

samurai champloo (shinichir? watanabe, 2004~2005)

taking place some time during the edo period (1603~1868). the whole soundtrack is pretty much ambient hip-hop kind of stuff. a really cool hybrid mix in my opinion.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i like more tv shows, because i usedc to watch them with my friends whn i lived there...

kochikame
sazae-san
crayon shinchyan (although with korean dubbing, the jokes a re slightly
funnier. i saw the english dubbed version and it was totally different...not half as funny imo)
anaichi

and the studio glibi stuff is great..

• Members

When i wrote mine i knew i was missing one. God i love that series to. The battles in Kyoto are the bomb. I just dont like the fillers that came after they defeated Shishio.

Sait? has to be my favorite character in that series though. One bad ass mofo.

Yeah that show really got to me. The AOVs (I'm pretty sure that is what they are called) are really great. Pretty melancholy, but great in my opinion.

They were put out as Samurai X for some stupid reason but they are definitely worth checking out.

• Members

Ok i just watched Akira. Rather on the confused side of things. I have not a clue what the ending means..."but someday we ought to be able because it has already begun," "I am Tetsuio." Also what the hell was with the black sphere and it being the begginning of the Universe? And why is Kay (the girl) important?

It was the english dubbed movie so translation might not be dead on.

God, animes confused the {censored} out of me.

• Members

Ok i just watched Akira. Rather on the confused side of things. I have not a clue what the ending means..."but someday we ought to be able because it has already begun," "I am Tetsuio." Also what the hell was with the black sphere and it being the begginning of the Universe? And why is Kay (the girl) important?

Honestly, can't answer those questions, don't really remember Akira, now I have to go watch it again, haha.

And apparently they are making a live action movie of Akira, set in New Jersey, with Leonardo Dicaprio playing Kaneda, WTF. That's all i can say about that.

• Members

imo, the movie doesnt mean a whole lot. I think it's popularity is doue to the choreography, art direction and quality of the animation.

the 6-volume (was it six? I cant remember) manga explains a lot what the movie doesnt or cant. and adds much more depth. unfortunatelly for a lot of people, they dont want to read four thousand pages of the manga to get the full scoop on the story, and thats perfectly understandible! guess what I'm saying is:

watch the movie for the pretty visuals and for your senses, but not for the story.

read the manga for the pretty art, AND the incredible story that unfolds.

• Members

ya i noticed it doesnt go in depth much. I mean yes id love to know whats going on really but i dont have the time to read 4000 pages of manga at the moment..

Maybe one day when im at college and i have nothing to do and i remember Akira then ill sit down and read it but other then that...dont see it happening anytime soon.

• Members

frankiej, like I said, totally understandible

but if any of you have the time, I really reccomend it. it's a fantastic six volumes of work! if youre even remotly interested with the world Akira takes place in, then its such a worthy read, it goes much farther than the movie.

me too, like most people, dont have much time to read these things. theyre often sprawling over dozens of volumes. kidn of overwhelming. BLAME! was another good one

the Nausicaa manga is also something fans of the movie owe themselves to read, for the same reasons as the Akira movie vs manga. so much more depth

• Members

The last animu I watched was Ghost In The Shell and I couldn't understand it at all. I'm not sure if this is my own lack of interest or the plot being difficult to understand.

I'm not a fan of Ghost in the Shell, there is good music in it, and the art is awesome, but I just couldn't get into the story.

• Members

It's an adolescent sci-fi fantasy where the young protagonists are pushing out against a society that tries to control and suppress their chaotic energy. I suppose Akira is meant to be some sort of energy that recurs and manifests itself in a chosen child whenever the suppression is out of balance. It's a pretty brilliant story that probably gave vent to a lot of teenage angst in Japan. Sort of an anime Kurt Cobain, if you like.

• Members

I've logged a lot of hours with the anime. My DVD/VHS collection was well over 600 (purchaced legitimatly). I've been fading a bit since I don't have a lot of time to watch TV. I also started to see a lot of bad ones, and that just started to drag me down. I've sold off most of it all. I probably have less than 100 discs.

Series I really liked:
Tenchi Muyo
Evangelion
Lain
Kiddy Grade
Ikki Tousen (I have an 8" Ryoumou figure standing on my computer at work)
Dirty Pair
Nuku Nuku
Devil Hunter Yohko
Plastic Little
Vampire Hunter D
Tenchi Muyo
Goldenboy
Cool Devices
Vanilla Series
Kite/Mezzo Forte

And lots of other stuff.

• Members

The movie is basically a shortened version of the first 2 (or 3) books...

The full story is epic...

• Members

I have a few Narutard friends who obsess over the series and watch it when it comes on Cartoon Network, they were pretty upset when I told them it had over a year of filler episodes.

Naruto filler is about the worst of all filler out there.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Wiki says it is a "Drama, Horror, Mystery, Psychological Thriller" and so far I would definitely have to agree. If you haven't seen it yet, give it a watch. I'm just a few episodes in, and it's awesome.

Started watching it tonight.

It just about gave me heart attack.

Laying in bed, watching it on my mp3 player because other people were asleep and I didn't want to wake them. I was about three episodes into it, just completely zoned out in it because it was really good. It was at a very suspenseful part, so I was just focused on it. And then my remote falls off my nightstand next to the bed and hits me in the arm. I didn't know what it was, freaked out, jumped up and threw it across the room before I even knew what was going on. My expression can be summed up by Phil, :eekphil:. Was crazy, woke everyone up too. :facepalm:

Archived