DS-1

tubezipper

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The first rule of parity involves the Alice in Wonderlandish use of the words "better" and "best." In parity claims, "better" means "best" and "best" means "equal to." If all the brands are identical, they must all be equally good, the legal minds have decided. So "best" means that the product is as good as the other superior products in its category. When Bing Crosby declares Minute Maid Orange Juice "the best there is" he means it is as good as the other orange juices you can buy.

The word "better" has been legally interpreted to be a comparative and therefore becomes a clear claim of superiority. Bing could not have said that Minute Maid is "better than any other orange juice." "Better" is a claim of superiority. The only time "better" can be used is when a product does indeed have superiority over other products in its category or when the better is used to compare the product with something other than competing brands. An orange juice could therefore claim to be "better than a vitamin pill," or even "the better breakfast drink."

• Members

Sounds decent on its own but sounds EXCELLENT when modded properly(the Monte Allums tri-gain sounds epic, and like Robopimp said, if you keep the tone knob low it can clean up nicely. I use it to get a different flavor of dirt from my amp. More for a crunch type sound on softer songs

• Members

The first rule of parity involves the Alice in Wonderlandish use of the words "better" and "best." In parity claims, "better" means "best" and "best" means "equal to." If all the brands are identical, they must all be equally good, the legal minds have decided. So "best" means that the product is as good as the other superior products in its category. When Bing Crosby declares Minute Maid Orange Juice "the best there is" he means it is as good as the other orange juices you can buy.

The word "better" has been legally interpreted to be a comparative and therefore becomes a clear claim of superiority. Bing could not have said that Minute Maid is "better than any other orange juice." "Better" is a claim of superiority. The only time "better" can be used is when a product does indeed have superiority over other products in its category or when the better is used to compare the product with something other than competing brands. An orange juice could therefore claim to be "better than a vitamin pill," or even "the better breakfast drink."

agreed...I have 3 dirt pedals on my board. 1 is not "better" than the other, each one is a different kettle of fish

• Members

Sounds decent on its own but sounds EXCELLENT when modded properly(the Monte Allums tri-gain sounds epic, and like Robopimp said, if you keep the tone knob low it can clean up nicely. I use it to get a different flavor of dirt from my amp. More for a crunch type sound on softer songs

+1 on the trigain mod. IIRC, it's the stock diode you put on the switch with an LED. You can have the stock on, LED or nothing. Both the LED and nothing sound so much better the stock one. Just that part of the mod is worth it.

And now I see they have a trigain+ mod and I'm pissed I dont have it :mad:

Plus my amp doesnt have an effects loop, and I like my modulations after distortion, so this pedal helps with that.

• Members

:idk:
How about something along the same range of the DS-1 that can be used as a boost (if desired) but has an all around better tone.

Used Rat II?

It cleans up in the lower gain section miles better....True Bypass. Much "better" tone. Not so Trebly.

Or Bad Monkey OD....yes it is an OD, rather than distortion, but makes a fine boost.

Staying with Boss, the SD-1 is a poor man's Toobskreemer.

I can't really think of many more.

• Members

Used Rat II?

It cleans up in the lower gain section miles better....True Bypass. Much "better" tone. Not so Trebly.

Or Bad Monkey OD....yes it is an OD, rather than distortion, but makes a fine boost.

+1 on the SD-1. It's almost a clone on the tubescreamer. A few mods and it is a tube screamer.

• Members

because they sound terrible.

they are the reason most guitarists turn up their noses at the idea of using a pedal for distortion.
:)

The DS-1 is the reason why I never played dirt pedals for 5 years. I do have one that I want to do some crazy mods with.

ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR OVER THE TOP DS-1 MODS?

• Members

+1 on the SD-1. It's almost a clone on the tubescreamer. A few mods and it is a tube screamer.

:thu:

The only way I'd ditch mine would be if I build my own little TS clone with TB etc, on the cheap. It's fine for now.

I say that sadly it gets overlooked by the first timers who are looking to buy a guitar effect. They buy a "Distortion" because they don't know how an Overdrive will sound, and then get disapointed.

It's the mistake I made.

• Members

:thu:

The only way I'd ditch mine would be if I build my own little TS clone with TB etc, on the cheap. It's fine for now.

I say that sadly it gets overlooked by the first timers who are looking to buy a guitar effect. They buy a "Distortion" because they don't know how an Overdrive will sound, and then get disapointed.

It's the mistake I made.

Lol I almost did the same thing! Went out to look for the DS-1 because it was cheap and I was young and stupid, but I found a good ebay auction that had the DS-1 and SD-1, so I bought them both. I am very pleased I figured out what overdrive was close to the beginning.

4 years later they are modded and still on my board.

• Members

Used Rat II?

I agree the Bad Monkey is a great bargain for the buck. While it is my opinion that it is better for a boost...that is subject to personal taste and desire.

I also find the Rat to sound better (once again in my opinion) for similar distortion.

I did not know we were going to get so technical into the law side of the definition (which it is key to remember the source and context of the word used can also change the meaning)...I can play that game too.....remember I teach it at the college level :rolleyes:

• Members

I had the Keeley modded DS-1 and I didn't like it. For a start it didn't have enough gain to play with a clean amp and when I cascaded it with my amp's own gain it got too muddy. I could never understand how a guy like Steve Vai supposedly uses a DS-1 for distortion, it blows my mind. IMO, when it comes to effects, you get what you pay for. You buy a cheap distortion pedal and it sounds cheap.

I'd like to see a Robopimp Boss DS-1 demo video.

Archived