LCD or PLASMA TV?

sdresdre

• Members

If anything ever flies around in the room, forget LCD, sooo fragile. Get Plasma with a protective screen or CRT or maybe projection, although forget proj. that if you smoke or have high dust, unless you are willing to clean the mirror yourself or maybe if it's Sony due to the seal. Lcd and CRT best for hours, yeah the Panas seem to do much better plasma, some of them are rather unpredictable but I'm going to start tallying hours for various units, see if that's just it a lot of the time.

My idea is a smaller (to reduce watt/bright ratio and cost) LED DLP, with cleanable glass screen, sealed optics, user replacable single fan, big box audio, console version avail..

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really like the Panasonic viera PZ850U plasma series. native contrast is 30,000:1 and the dynamic contrast is a 1,000,000:1. 1080p.It also has nice burn in features like the pixel orbiter (to prevent) and a bar that will scroll the screen (to erase). 42" was going for around 1500 here in columbus a month ago, but would get the 46" on sale for around 1900.

You could also go for the pz80u series, same feature set but with a lowered native contrast of 20,000:1. I would look at the native contrast as a better indicator of true contrast then the dynamic number. Much like the idea of looking at a screens native resolution as what it can actually do in a reliable performance way.

Of course the best tool over any specs is your eyes. Use your eye and look at the screen in the store, check for lighting differences on each tv you look at in the store (makes a difference on image quality) and like the other said fit it to your room, lighting, and budget.

For me the pana z85 is my favorite, but I heard those new pioneers kuro are tits. Anyone know what the native contrast is on those?

• Members

I heard those new pioneers kuro are tits. Anyone know what the native contrast is on those?

Nope - I tend to ignore the figures as it's not hard to design your electronics to maximise those headlines.

I did think that the Panasonic plasmas looked better than the Kuros when I saw the two side by side - the Kuros were nice but the Panas seemed, to me, to have better colour (in terms of correct saturation and accuracy). Just my eyes though, no proper testing.

• Members

when i was shopping for my tv (50"), i compared as many as i could. hands down the best picture by far was the sony rear-projection lcd. it was $thousands cheaper than flat-panel counterparts--and i could give a {censored} about hanging my tv on my wall--so it was an easy decision for me.

on the whole--to me rear projection Lcd's have the best picture. ALL flat panels, be they LCD/plasma, seem to look grainy and have a {censored} ton of artifacts on fast movement.

i don't think it's just me either. i've had several comments from HDtv owners that thought my sony was maybe the best looking picture of any tv they'd seen. and they were shocked that it came from a rear projection. after seeing mine, my dad switched out his flat-panels for sony rear-projections. i'm not saying any of this to brag--just saying that i went into it wanting to find the best looking picture...not the 'coolest looking', cheapest, most-expensive, hippest, etc. fortunately for me--it ended up being a cheaper TV.

this was about a year ago--so things may have changed.

• Members

i guess having a TV is not that big a deal for me... I'll get a flat screen one when they are $100-200 many years from now ... otherwise, my TV works, and I could give a rat's ass about "HD" and bla bla considering how little it will get used...

• Members

I recently got a Toshiba Regza 42" LCD TV from Best Buy for under $1200. Great TV, especially for the price. I also bought a Samsung surround sound system and had some problems with that. Dealing w/ Best Buy's customer service was a nightmare! Next time I'd be willing to spend extra $$$ to go to a store with truly knowledgable sales people.

• Members

i guess having a TV is not that big a deal for me... I'll get a flat screen one when they are $100-200 many years from now ... otherwise, my TV works, and I could give a rat's ass about "HD" and bla bla considering how little it will get used...

that's exactly how I feel, the last thing I want to spend money on is a friggin' TV.....if I spent that much on one I might feel I'd have to use it more.

• Members

this was about a year ago--so things may have changed.

Indeed they have. Sony no longer makes rear-pros. The SXRDs were absolutely outstanding sets though, so long as you didn't need excessive off-axis viewing.

• Members

How bright is your room and how is your lighting control?

If it's dim or you have good control and can MAKE it dim (and want to always do so), plasma tends to have the edge over LCD on image quality and will tend to be a few bucks (but not so much anymore) cheaper.

If it's a well-lit room, LCD is the best overall choice as plasma is reflective and tends to "wash out" a bit with much ambient light.

Burn-in shouldn't be too much of an issue with games and the plasma, but still perhaps a small consideration.

you pretty much nailed everything i was going to say in the first post..

well done sir

:thu::thu:

• Members

I bought a Toshiba 42" LCD a few months ago, the 42RV530 model, and it's a fantastic tv. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. A couple things to keep in mind is that in general, they all will look better in your living room than they do in the store, UNLESS the store you are in has a dedicated signal for each tv, as stores (especially chain stores) tend to divide up the same signal and send it to each tv so you can compare one set to another, but this also makes the signal quality become less for every tv that's added, giving tvs at the end of the signal chain a lot worse signal.

Also, it really depends on what you like and what you intend to use the tv for, as there are a lot of really good tvs out there right now. Someone mentioned the newer Panasonic plasmas, which look very good to me. I chose LCD because of the fact that I hate hate HATE screen glare and there's a large window in my living room that would render a plasma unwatchable because of that.

• Members
VERY surprised by the poll results. maybe it has something to do with plasmas being discontinued in the near future.
:idk:
i dont particularly care about that.

I don't think it's going to happen. Plasma still has advantages over LCD and there are plenty of business applications where they count.

• Members

I am an electrical engineer so take that for what its worth.

That being said, I say plasma FTW. LCD's contrast ratio is poor, and they play games with respect to how they achieve those magical '10000:1' contrast ratio. I hate marketing tricks like that.

plasmas are indeed a little heavier, and use a little more electricity than same size LCD. think ~585W vs ~460W for a 50".

keep in mind that when displaying black content, plasmas dont need to do any work since black is their natural 'off' state. LCDs are using energy even when displaying black as they must block light from coming thru. It woudl not surprise me if they rated the power usage based on scenes favoring LCDs to trick consumers into thinking LCDs are inherently better.

I ended up going with a panasonic TH-50PX60Uplasma in my living room when I upgraded to an HDTV set. After calibrating it for D6500k and tweaking some settings, it is a huge step up from 'factory' settings. It is amazing for movies, truly is.

Now, I also have a sony bravia XBR 26" LCD HDTV in the bedroom. Image quality, the panasonic wins hands down, not even a contest. but in a bedroom i'm not so concerned about image quality when my wife is watching seinfeld reruns in heavily compressed digital SD video.

If i had to do it over again, i woudlnt change a thing (other than perhaps go with a 55" tv in the living room). :love:

but keep in mind, i dont play much video games, and never hook up a PC to the screen so in that scenario a LCD might be a better choice given its inherently digital input. As for the argument about burn in that is pretty much not an issue, and even if it is, todays sets have pixel orbiters to minimize any potential for burn-in.

In case you are curious, here is a pic of my plasma, all 90lbs of it hanging on a dual cantilever wall mount:
2231569517_cf76e14f65_b.jpg

installed this all right before superbowl 2008, and got to see perhaps the greatest NFL upset in recent memory at our superbowl party.

• Members
This one ^^^

I am very happy.

kudos. The funny thing is...720 vs 1080....there;s not much of a difference unless you like watching a large TV 3 inches away from it.
Enjoy!

I was supposed to have a recording studio in my basement...now it turned into a
vid game/ movie theatre :facepalm:

• Members

My dad has this in my house:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N53T0K/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Samsung 56" LED. I honestly don't watch TV a whole lot, but he sure as hell does. I'm not a movie watching guy either - fun with some friends and some beer, but not something I want to invest 2 or 3 hours into - he is, though. He'll watch a movie every night, and TV for many hours. He's retired, so besides working around the house and whatnot, he's usually at the bar or watching TV. I actually have only been home twice since he got it, I guess about 6-8 months ago, and while I was there I was too busy to even watch it much, and wasn't really compelled to do so. I think the normal TV feed looks absolutely horrible on it and watching some shows was really irritating to me, however, HD sports and nature/Discovery/History channel type stuff looks very, very good. I convinced my mom to help pitch in on getting him a PS3 and some Blu-Rays for Christmas, mostly so he (and I :thu:) can see how good they look on it.

Archived