LCD or PLASMA TV?

sdresdre

• Members

thats wierd?

i thought i sold tvs at best buy?

hmm.

I just noticed this, and the guy he was arguing with who deals with crazy audio/video-philes all day long (I get some of those nutjobs in my CD store, they're middle aged+ a-holes and delusional and we laugh at them, sometimes they have 40 yr old whiskey on their breath and drive an 80's Lotus or something and think they're still relevant).

Anyway, HAHAHAHAHA!

"i thought i sold tvs at best buy?"

Why are you arguing with this expert? He has been informed by Best Buy that plasma is not the way to go!!!!! (profit margins?)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just noticed this, and the guy he was arguing with who deals with crazy audio/video-philes all day long (I get some of those nutjobs in my CD store, they're middle aged+ a-holes and delusional and we laugh at them, sometimes they have 40 yr old whiskey on their breath and drive an 80's Lotus or something and think they're still relevant).

Anyway, HAHAHAHAHA!

"i thought i sold tvs at best buy?"

Why are you arguing with this expert? He has been informed by Best Buy that plasma is not the way to go!!!!! (profit margins?)

Belieeeeeeeve me, I haaaaaaate dealing with said audio/videophiles. Bleh. Ick.

Seriously. They are one big mess.

Luckily, the vast majority of our (my) customers are 50+ people with oodles of money who come to us for our reputation and because they simply want it done RIGHT with service to back it up.

• Members

i dont understand?

are you making fun of me?

and i dont think im arguing with wmcjhi.

just a friendly discussion.

my best buy is one of the richest part of wisconsin, our store is consistently ranked in the top 5 stores in the company .

mostly we deal with people that actually know what they are talking about, but once in a while you get that rich snobby bachelor that just buys top of the line everything, doesnt buy any of the warrenties or home theater install packages, and come crying back next month when he cant get it to work.

• Members
Specs look good, can't remember if I've seen that one in person or not. Remember as the size goes up (now at 50"), 1080p could become more and more useful. But like I said earlier, you'd really want to try to see that tv at your viewing distance vs. 1080p at your viewing distance to know for sure what's best for you.

the owners seem to really dig it. 50" and halo 3 :love:

• Members

i dont understand?

Agreed, I wouldn't call it arguing either.

Also, nothing at ALL wrong with bestbuy. Just a 'different strokes' type of thing. Really there are very few (a few TVs and that's it) products our two companies share. One is a big box store and one's a high-er end custom shop.

There are definitely some big box employees who really know their stuff and I've met a few salespeople at other high end shops that were a total mess. But, as a rule, people do tend to distrust best buy employees, right or wrong. Although anyone who ever worked retail knows they'd generally be better off listening to the bestbuy employee than their "friend's nephew's sister's cousin" who knows "a lot" about TVs/Computers/Car Audio/etc.

• Members
the owners seem to really dig it. 50" and halo 3
:love:

i just bought my parents a 52" samsung LCD

i brought my ps3 home to play metal gear solid 4 on it. :eek:

and thanks to my discount (which is 5% over cost) i got a $3000 tv for $2080.

:facepalm:

• Members

plus we are dealing with totally different customers too.

Absolutely.

We get some truly cool people in (had a guy today who wanted advice and some equipment for a beach home he's having built in the virgin islands) who just want some advice, expertise, and then are good to go and we get some true dildos in who want to yak about how superior their X is than the new Q and how all the new Z companies have no idea how to make a Y and are just general jackasses about everything due to their self-declared transcend ears/eyes for this stuff.

• Members

i dont understand?

my best buy is one of the richest part of wisconsin, our store is consistently ranked in the top 5 stores in the company .

mostly we deal with people that actually know what they are talking about, but once in a while you get that rich snobby bachelor that just buys top of the line everything, doesnt buy any of the warrenties or home theater install packages, and come crying back next month when he cant get it to work.

It almost sounds like you're joking and having fun. But it also sounds like you think you're an authority because you work at Best Buy and recieved their training.

How good is Bose? You know, those little micro-cubes that cost $1000+.

In your expert opinion, could I get better (superior) sound quality from a set of random tower speakers from the 70's out of a pawn shop for $50? Or is Bose the way to go for that "natural" sound?

I'm getting bent out of shape here.

I'm pretty sure I would get fired from Best Buy very quickly. I would carry too much guilt to carrry the company line.

• Members
i got a call last week fro i guy i dealt with a few months back, and he said he was so pleased with his home theater setup, he wanted to come in and give ma a ham sandwich and a hug.

For some reason that reminds me of the "J.O. on the rails" craigslist thing from a while back. Watch yourself :eek:

• Members

what the {censored} are you talking about, i never said i was an expert.

im just giving my opinion.

im not going to sell anyone anything for the companies sake, im going to sell them something they want/need. i could give two {censored}s less about margin, its about doing whats best for the customer.

but i will admit, this is not how 90% of best buy employees think.

• Members
For some reason that reminds me of the "J.O. on the rails" craigslist thing from a while back. Watch yourself
:eek:

no he actually came in and gave me a ham sandwich, i didnt eat it, but it was still very kind of him.

• Members
i dont see a point, if your budget is $1000 - $1500, to spend that money on a low end plasma, and if you plan on playing video games, in about half a year, you will start to see some burn in.

and again im just going from my experience and training, which may no be better than yours, but its far better than what circuit city will give you.

and i just wanted to know, what do you mean 42" 1080p at 14feet away would be silly?

Oh man, I can tell you work at Best Buy. :facepalm:

• Members

The current "low end" plasmas... the 720p 8th gen Panasonic Plasmas are the best deal going in the 42 - 50 inch range right now. Hell, even the 1080p models can be had for ridiculously cheap if you manage to catch a sold sale at FRY's.

$899 for the 42 incher is the best deal you're going to find in hdtvs today. Unless you can get a Pioneer at some open-box price, you're not going to do better.

I paid $729 for a new 32 inch Samsung 4 series LCD and I had to take it back due to the heavy amount of ghosting I saw when gaming. I initally went with LCD because I was going to do a lot of gaming on the set. Much to my surprise, image retention (burn-in) on the current generation of plasmas is simply not an issue. With my old 6th gen Panasonic, I get a little bit of retention if I have the xbox hooked up (it goes away after a few minutes)... with the new 8th gen Panasonic... any overlays from gaming is gone with in seconds.

• Members

I have a Plasma TV the black looks more saturated and the colours are really nice! I bought the Panasonic TH-42 PV 60 E 1 1/2 Year ago becaus it was one of the best TVs to the best price at the moment! Now you get it really cheap...

• Members

For the record LCD screens are susceptible to image burn in too. When I was a vigorous Opera user I had the red O logo slightly burned at the top of an older 20" LCD screen (a top of the line model at the time too). Where I work we have setup several 42" TVs in schools, the local mall etc and those basically just roll through ads and I've seen slight burn-in on some of them too, mainly from ads that have a certain element floating in the same position all the time.

1080p vs 720p is pretty negligible difference when were talking about movies and screens smaller than 50". With games the difference is more noticeable, mainly in text IMO.

Archived