best celestion blue clone

• Members

i talked to the guy who made my amp and he said ideally it'd have a marshally speaker in it along with an alnico blue because it's a mix between a vox and a marshall. i was wondering if there's a really good clone of a celestion blue on the market. i've heard of the blue dogs but read a few bad reviews (it seemed like people were running too powerful of amps for it though...)

• Members

Theres the good ol warehouse speakers copy

http://www.warehousespeakers.com/proddetail.php?prod=black_blue

Warehouse's are all the rage over at the Amp forum... people ditching their v30's for warehouse's Veteran 30's which supposedly have a more musical upper midrange blah blah blah.

I know their 15" bass speakers sound great though, our bass player put some in his cab and they killed.

I'm running a 15W, no dope Weber Blue Dog AlNiCo in my AC15cc, and that thing kills. It's a great sounding speaker, and I have had absolutely zero problems with it. Ted Weber definitely knows what he's doing, and if YOU know what you're doing (like knowing better than to crank a 50W amp through a 15W speaker, or how to not wire a cabinet incorrectly), I would suspect your experience with a Blue Dog would be similar to my own. I'm not saying that there aren't complaints out there, but from what I hear from other Blue Dog owners, just about all of them seem happy with them.

Eminence also makes good speakers. Big brand, lots of choices, and I've had good luck with their products over the years. I don't think you have all the options (dope, light dope, no dope, etc.) with them that Weber gives you though. But the Red Fang is a well regarded speaker too, if not an identical in every sonic aspect to the Blue Dog or Celestion Blue. All three are definitely in the same sonic "family" though, at least IMO.

I've never heard of the Warehouse Black & Blue before... they sound interesting, and I'd like to hear one sometime, but I also have a certain amount of skepticism for the flavor du jour until I can hear it myself and make up my own mind... :)

• Members

I'm running a 15W, no dope Weber Blue Dog AlNiCo in my AC15cc, and that thing kills. It's a great sounding speaker, and I have had absolutely zero problems with it. Ted Weber definitely knows what he's doing, and if YOU know what you're doing (like knowing better than to crank a 50W amp through a 15W speaker, or how to not wire a cabinet incorrectly), I would suspect your experience with a Blue Dog would be similar to my own. I'm not saying that there aren't complaints out there, but from what I hear from other Blue Dog owners, just about all of them seem happy with them.

Eminence also makes good speakers. Big brand, lots of choices, and I've had good luck with their products over the years. I don't think you have all the options (dope, light dope, no dope, etc.) with them that Weber gives you though. But the Red Fang is a well regarded speaker too, if not an identical in every sonic aspect to the Blue Dog or Celestion Blue. All three are definitely in the same sonic "family" though, at least IMO.

I've never heard of the Warehouse Black & Blue before... they sound interesting, and I'd like to hear one sometime, but I also have a certain amount of skepticism for the flavor du jour until I can hear it myself and make up my own mind...
:)

reading this makes me want to put in my rather large order to mr ted weber..

• Members

So guys, what combination would you recommend in a 2x12 AC30? Should I be thinking about just having 2 Celestion Blue clones or would it be a better idea to have one Blue clone for the shimmer and sparkle and then one of something else to maybe compensate for the lack of bass in the blue?

• Members

So guys, what combination would you recommend in a 2x12 AC30? Should I be thinking about just having 2 Celestion Blue clones or would it be a better idea to have one Blue clone for the shimmer and sparkle and then one of something else to maybe compensate for the lack of bass in the blue?

I would also like to know this. I have the cc2 with the wharfdales, and i don't really have the money for 2 blues, but I want to know if changing one would be worth it for now.

can someone explain to me what dope is? the cabinet right now has 2 eminence stonehenges in it and they sound great, but like all of you, i'm always trying to get that extra push over the cliff.

Dope is a chemical treatment (glue, lacquer, etc.) that is sometimes applied around the edges of the speaker cone, out near the surround, to tighten the material and damp the speaker a bit to reduce "cone cry" and ghost notes. Some people prefer the sound of speakers with dope, and some without - it really depends on what you're after.

Archived