Why should I play a tube amp if I use pedals for my dirt sounds?

C Fuzz

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nothing at all, just trying to stay dry with the remnants of Gustav giving up the ghost on top of me :cry:

At least I'm not on the coast, but it's strange to have a hurricane make it this far in-land, even as a "mere" tropical storm, with rotation still going on at the cloud level.

At least we've still got power, so I can keep on jammin' with either my tube or SS amps :thu:

• Members
Nothing at all, just trying to stay dry with the remnants of Gustav giving up the ghost on top of me
:cry:

At least I'm not on the coast, but it's strange to have a hurricane make it this far in-land, even as a "mere" tropical storm, with rotation still going on at the cloud level.

At least we've still got power, so I can keep on jammin' with either my tube or SS amps
:thu:

Good to hear your ok! Scary stuff to deal with. I too play both SS & tube amps,they each have their place. All the best,
TGIH!

• Members

When I started out (A LONG 4 years ago) hehehe I'm a newbie.
I couldn't tell the difference in SS or TUBE. I bought a fender SS - and well never could get a great sound from it. I later bought a micro cube (not for sound, but for battery power!) never really connected with it either. Though neither of them were bad.

I watched some utube videos and I was HOOKED by one that had a Mesa Boogie special. DANG - nice amp - so I got one. It has 5-15 and 30 w settings... Still I don't use it often, get this - I stumbled onto a review of a Fender champion 600 - so I ordered one (like only 199.00) AND ITS AWESOME. 5w... great for practice around the house and real tube tone.
I often prefer it to the Mesa! (dare I say that) hmmm it's true.

Use it with a little dirt and it's incredible for the money.
So - no - I can't put up with SS any longer either. dirt or no dirt, there is a major sound difference. One is cold and harsh the other is warm and cozy...
check out that little fender. Tube without breaking the bank.

OH - I also use (in my home studio) UX8 and Gearbox) it too is rather amazing. I use a guitar port and laptop to feed the fender outdoors on the porch.

• Members
When I started out (A LONG 4 years ago) hehehe I'm a newbie.

I couldn't tell the difference in SS or TUBE. I bought a fender SS - and well never could get a great sound from it. I later bought a micro cube (not for sound, but for battery power!) never really connected with it either. Though neither of them were bad.

I watched some utube videos and I was HOOKED by one that had a Mesa Boogie special. DANG - nice amp - so I got one. It has 5-15 and 30 w settings... Still I don't use it often, get this - I stumbled onto a review of a Fender champion 600 - so I ordered one (like only 199.00) AND ITS AWESOME. 5w... great for practice around the house and real tube tone.

I often prefer it to the Mesa! (dare I say that) hmmm it's true.

Use it with a little dirt and it's incredible for the money.

So - no - I can't put up with SS any longer either. dirt or no dirt, there is a major sound difference. One is cold and harsh the other is warm and cozy...

check out that little fender. Tube without breaking the bank.

OH - I also use (in my home studio) UX8 and Gearbox) it too is rather amazing. I use a guitar port and laptop to feed the fender outdoors on the porch.

:thu::cool:

• Members

ss amps are for budget musicians, or for the ones that want to AVOID overdrive (overdrive is VERY different from distortion), like jazz player (Fender Jazz King) or for player that play extreme metal forms, where the warm and such caracteristics of od are not requiered, like dimebag (R.I.P.), if you play any other style of music a good tube amplifier is what should sound best

Overdrive is when you turn a signal volume so loud that it distorts and a great compression is also acquired, distorsion is looser and can be more fuzzy, it dependents on your personal taste and your style (do you see a blues player using a metal zone, or DS-1?? me not)

I like the feel of distortion running into a tube amp's clean channel (thats what satch does), or a heavy od generate by the preamp, that get compression (ala petrucci)

• Members

your dirt pedals push tubes, they're designed for tube amps (good dirt pedals at least).

mmmmm....are you trying to tell me my Blackstone Appliances Mosfet Overdrive isn't a good dirt pedal????

.......what a {censored}ing joker.

"The Mosfet Overdrive is designed to provide these sought-after distortion characteristics entirely on its own. It is not a "boost" pedal meant to cause distortion to occur in your amp. The ideal amp to use with it is the one that best gets the clean sound that you like."

• Members

I leave my overdrive pedal always on for that slight breakup and have 2 other dirts for different levels of fuzz. I'm starting to think it is silly to start up a tube amp for 30-45 minutes of playing at home when I am not really reaping the benefits.
I was just curious if anyone else feels the same way.

Not me

• Members

your dirt pedals push tubes, they're designed for tube amps (good dirt pedals at least)

Actually I doubt the tubescreamer was designed with that in mind at all. Had the designer ever even heard a real tube amp in person? It could be hard to beat an ingenious person with an "open mind" ;)

Archived