Why should I play a tube amp if I use pedals for my dirt sounds?

C Fuzz

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

me, or the other guy?

The other guy. With 15 posts. Post count seems about even with his maturity level. Anyway, I personally love the warmth and character I get out of different power and preamp tubes, even at low volumes. The things glow and heat up and even without dirt or breakup, it gives the sound "character". IMO the subtle feel that tubes produce even clean and not cranked is irreplaceable. Again just my opinion. When I run in my studio I run through two half stacks. A Sovtek MIG 100 with Sovtek power tubes and Tungsol Pre & a Marshall JCM 900 SLX (set clean and gain "2" preamp "2". Master Vol Max. with JJ 6L6's and chinese pre tubes. The different in switching tubes around is huge to me, but again, some people just like solid state clean so it just becomes subjective anyway... I'd just advice getting into the character of the tube and how it FEELS. :thu: Or not. :thu:

• Members

I have had both SS and tube amps for just playing at home. To me, the tube amp still sounds good without it being driven. It definitely warms up the overall tone, and is a good base to build on. A good pedal (I like the BoR) seems to work better with a tube amp, whether it's clean or dirty.

ANd, there aren't a whole lot of good SS amps that aren't modelers these days. I have a cube 30 which is fine for portable things and such, but I don't use it much. Also the power of a good tube amp give you a bigger, deeper sound than a lot of SS amps can do. The watts are not important, it's the components and design that is. And the speaker, we forget about that. Not alot of SS amps seem to use really good speakers. Whereas tube amps often come with good speakers, and that does make a difference.

I don't find the maintenance or expense of tube amps to be an issue. Hell if can't afford a set of tubes every couple of years (if that) there aren't too many hobbies you probably can afford. SS amps break too. I had a {censored}ty Marshall MG amp (first amp) and it broke in the first month I bought it new. The second one faired better, but I never liked the sound of it. I'll always buy tube amps now, probably a good lower wattage one next.

• Members

I don't find the maintenance or expense of tube amps to be an issue. Hell if can't afford a set of tubes every couple of years (if that) there aren't too many hobbies you probably can afford.

Agreed. I've been playing tube amps for 13 or 14 years and haven't found maintenance and tube replacement to be a major issue. Tubes aren't really that expensive and I've never had a repair issue that couldn't have happened just as easily in a SS amp.

• Members
Way to be a prick about it. I hope everyone makes stupid {censored}ing comments at you when you and your 10 posts asks some "dumb" question about effects that's become inane and stupid for most of us who have been around here more than 3 minutes.

yea thanks man, i was meaning to ask you, what side do i plug the guitar input into my boss metal zone pedal???

hopefully after my 1,600 post then maybe ill know something but until then:cop::cop::cop:

• Members
yea thanks man, i was meaning to ask you, what side do i plug the guitar input into my boss metal zone pedal???

hopefully after my 1,600 post then maybe ill know something but until then:cop:
:cop:

The way you're acting, i wouldn't put that question past you. Leave, no one wants you here, you make the forum less enjoyable.

• Members

Mellow out or incur the wrath of TGIH!:evil: Get off to a good start here. Have you seen my Custom title MY WAY? Well..........Be cool.

• Members

17 posts in, and I already hate you more than any other poster on HCFX.

Congrats. I'll throw a party when you get banned in 20 mins.

• Members

because tube cleans are dynamic, chimey, and musical.... great platform for good pedals...

why bother spending money on good pedals if you are going to plug them into a crappy amp.... makes no sense to me....

Thanks for your input but "crappy" amps and "good" pedals are very subjective. My favorite overdrive is the Dano Pastrami (and no not because it is red, that is just a bonus) and most people don't like it. My $300 Randall SS head thru my Vox 4x12 sounds better to me than my Valve Jr stack or my Blackheart I recently traded. Different strokes.

• Members

Thanks for your input but "crappy" amps and "good" pedals are very subjective. My favorite overdrive is the Dano Pastrami (and no not because it is red, that is just a bonus) and most people don't like it. My $300 Randall SS head thru my Vox 4x12 sounds better to me than my Valve Jr stack or my Blackheart I recently traded. Different strokes.

This.

I would say my Princeton 65 (65w, SS) sounds a hell of a lot better than a Fender Champ 600 reissue, or a Valve Jr., or even Blackhearts.

My favorite dirt is the EHX Double-Muff. $50, slightly fuzzy med-gain OD = win.

Not all SS amps are {censored}. Just like not all tube amps are good.

• Members

aww {censored}, i leave to ACTUALLY play guitar, and i cum back and every bodies telling me im going to get banned again

maybe i get some sd invaders and run a couple delay pedals and only play guitar for a couple minutes a week and get into all the harmony central fads to make some new friends

its just a bit of sarcasm boys

• Members

aww {censored}, i leave to ACTUALLY play guitar, and i cum back and every bodies telling me im going to get banned again

maybe i get some sd invaders and run a couple delay pedals and only play guitar for a couple minutes a week and get into all the harmony central fads to make some new friends

its just a bit of sarcasm boys

I can't believe you are actually 40. Grow the {censored} up.

Archived