Stompbox EQ's: Suggestions? Favorites?

Sad Darwin

• Members

I'm looking to sculpt and tame some extreme effects pedals, and am looking for suggestions for EQ's, Parametric and Graphic, but don't limit yourself to that. If you have a favorite multi filter, or wah with a wide range of applications I'd like to hear about it to.

Main idea here is to get a good search going for a stompbox EQ though, so what do you got?

• Members

I use the Barber Barb-EQ for shaping my overall tone. It's a great parametric type EQ. I definitely recommend graphic EQ for your situation though. With graphic, you'll have control over specific frequencies that you wont have with parametric. The only question left is how much control you need. There are 6, 7, and 10 band eqs available in pedal form, at least that I know of.

• Members

I'm thinking graphic may be the best thing but I did happen upon one thing that seems like an EQ filter hybrid, Electro Harmonix Tube EQ. What do you guys think of that one? It seems pretty versatile, but I can't find much information on it. It seem like the bass and treble are fixed, but are they subtractive only or are they additive?

If I get a graphic I think I want something with as many bands as possible. Oh and what seems to be the quietest Graphic? I had a friend with an MXR and that thing hissed like crazy.

• Members

The boss hisses too, but there are mods for it. In fact, I'm pretty sure all eqs will get hissy if certain freqs are boosted too much. Many eq users tend to boost weaker freqs and boosting creates noise. They don't realize that lowering the strong freqs has virtually the same effect, normally with lower noise. Just a thought.

• Members

I use the Barber Barb-EQ for shaping my overall tone. It's a great parametric type EQ. I definitely recommend graphic EQ for your situation though. With graphic, you'll have control over specific frequencies that you wont have with parametric. The only question left is how much control you need. There are 6, 7, and 10 band eqs available in pedal form, at least that I know of.

With the Barber EQ, how does that compare to onboard amp EQ? I want an outboard EQ setup that's as close to a good amp EQ as possible, and I think the Barber EQ is the way forward for me, expensive though it will be to import over here now.

• Members

The boss hisses too, but there are mods for it. In fact, I'm pretty sure all eqs will get hissy if certain freqs are boosted too much. Many eq users tend to boost weaker freqs and boosting creates noise. They don't realize that lowering the strong freqs has virtually the same effect, normally with lower noise. Just a thought.

this is true, I think most of the time it isn't even the EQ making the noise, it's just amplifying hiss put into it from other pedals. I tried my mates MXR the other day guitar>mxr eq>amp and it was as quiet as a mouse even with some bands boosted....when I put my big muff before it, it sounded really noisey....that's not the EQ's fault, it's just doing it's job.

• Members
With the Barber EQ, how does that compare to onboard amp EQ? I want an outboard EQ setup that's as close to a good amp EQ as possible, and I think the Barber EQ is the way forward for me, expensive though it will be to import over here now.

Man, if that's what you want it for, then this is definitely the pedal for you. I can't type that with the conviction that I feel, and that's not just because I own it. It's like an amp eq on steroids. If you haven't read into the features of this little box, I suggest that you do. The icing on the cake is that I've never ONCE heard a bad thing about barber effects.:thu:

• Members

Has anyone here tried the
Boss EQ-20
? Seems pretty flexible, and it has 9 presets. Is it particularly noisy if you're using it subtractively?

I have that pedal. It works pretty well. Doesn't add any noise as far as I can tell. The ability to have multiple presets is nice when you have multiple guitars or when you have multiple pedals and you need to change your eq when certain ones are in use. Not the easiest pedal in the world to find though.

I also have the MXR ten band eq. Very solid pedal. Well built, plus I am a sucker for all of the leds.

• Members

I'm thinking graphic may be the best thing but I did happen upon one thing that seems like an EQ filter hybrid, Electro Harmonix Tube EQ. What do you guys think of that one? It seems pretty versatile, but I can't find much information on it. It seem like the bass and treble are fixed, but are they subtractive only or are they additive?

I've had one for close to a year now. I bought it to replace an old ART Tube EQ that flaked out after being stuck to my pedalboard for a long time. The first EHX arrived dead, but the replacement has been fine. To be honest, I'm not sure about the bass and treble being fixed, as I use it mainly to tweak the mids at venues where the guitars sound sound too tinny through the PA. Less noise from the EHX than the ART, and it's extremely sturdy.

I don't know how much effect the tubes actually have, but I've been very pleased with the results.

Archived