Stoner/Sludge Fuzz

EzzO)))

• Members

What tuning will you be in?

If it's gonna be drop B, which is appropriate for heavy sludge, your Mesa should do just fine I think...

If you really want fuzz with that there are a lot of options, most mentioned in this thread. But I wouldn't suggest turning up the gain all the way. The tuning makes it heavy as it is...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You've got the sludgiest amp ever made.

Just crank the gain on the amp to 10, and roll back the guitar's volume slightly, practically a few millimetres.

Crank the bass & midrange to 10, and put the treble as low as possible, but turn up the presence to say 7. It will add that harshness that's required.

If you do turn the treble up, roll down the tone knob on the guitar.

• Members

Also, I honestly don't think you need any pedals to get stoner/sludge tones with a Dual Rec. Unless you really MUST have a fuzz tone. In that case I'd switch to using a super-clean amp with tones of headroom - like an Ampeg V4 - and then use whatever you want.

• Members

For a QOTSA sound I role the tone off or almost off and use SD-1-->Phase-90--->Bad Monkey--->amp. Sounds pretty stoned to me for cheap. The phaser more or less adds some high end to the sound, and kinda sounds like an auto wah within reason. Not supper dramitic though.

For a Fu-Manchu type sound, I use NYC Big Muff tone knob at about 1/3 for the base and add other effects to taste.

I also have an octron (octave pedal kinda like the micro pog - 1 up/1 down) which realy plays well with either setup.

Get stoned for cheap!:thu: Well, except for the octron...

• Members

Also, I honestly don't think you need any pedals to get stoner/sludge tones with a Dual Rec. Unless you really MUST have a fuzz tone. In that case I'd switch to using a super-clean amp with tones of headroom - like an Ampeg V4 - and then use whatever you want.

this guy's got it right. i know you were asking about pedals, but a lot of the great tone you're searching for can be had from above post.

also, try using the neck pickup.

if your current amp has a low input, try that as well. the low input on most amps loves fuzz, dist and od.

look into cabinets other than 2x12's. ampeg 8x10's sound frickin' sweet with a good clean tube head and a woolly type fuzz.

lastly, a lot of the guitarists in that genre use bass gear. i know it seems wacky, but it sounds amazing.

• Members

I'm thinking about joining a sludge/Stoner metal band I want to sludge up my sound a little. I play dual rec through a 2x12 orange with another 2x12 on the way. I'm thinking that best way to get the sound I'm after is by adding a fuzz pedal to rig and rolling back the gain on the amp a little. I've been looking for a good fuzz and I'm leaning towards the EH graphic fuzz pedal, this seems to have a really deep set of parameters making it easy to sculpt my tone. Does anyone have any experience with this pedal or know of something that would be better suited to my needs?

the graphic fuzz is more of an overdrive than a fuzz.

get a NYC big muff or a zvex woolly mammoth.

• Members

Thanks for all the suggesttions. A couple of things, I currently don't use any pedals in my set-up. I can get pretty decent stoner/sludge sounds of mesa, its tremoverb (not sure if I mentioned that). I like to crank the gain pretty high, add some reverb, and roll the tone right off on my SG bridge pup (a seymour duncan SH14). I've wanted a fuzz pedal for a while, I was thinking about getting a Death By Audio Fuzz War or a USA Big Muff. The catalinbread V8 fuzz looks pretty cool too

• 1 month later...
  • Members

OK, so here is my 2 cents worth :

Personally, i belive that your amp is too tight for a Sludge tone ! sorry !

In the perfect world, i would opt for a MATAMP GT1 in (((stereo))) w. an ORANGE Thunderverb 50.

Hell, even a Marshall DSL50 and little Big Muff sounds perfect for this genre, just listen to Lori of Acid King, pure sludge !!!

Acid King's "Busse Woods" is my fav album for 2008 - plz look into it !

Now my garage sludge/doom band set-up looks like this :

SG w. Duncan A2P's (tuned down to C)--> almost any fuzz--> Blues Jr. into a Marshall 1960 w. stock speakers.

Right now, my fav fuzz's (that i actually own) is : Barber Trifecta, EHX Bass Big Muff, EHX Double Muff & Boss PW-2 !

Google T-Rex Mudhoney - imho, it was made for sludge !

Check out the clips on youtube, ans well as proguitarshop.com of the mighty T-Rex MudHoney & the very under rated Barber Trifecta !

If you can, try and get a 2x15 cab !

Right now, i am looking into one !

Cheers

;)

• Members

I play in a stoner rock psuedo-doom band and I've gone through a few different types of dirt....

My favorite is the SCOD. It cuts through, it's thick and aggressive... and it sounds good.... I've also added my old Monsterpiece NPN back to the mix again... and it's awesome.

I used to use my Maxon OD-820 into my Laney. That sounded great, in a classic 70s stoner kind of way... One of the guys from The Sword was using that same gain set-up, the last I knew...

Sometimes it's good to hit a dirty amp with some additional gain.... but sometimes, it's good to get nasty with the fuzz and go easy on the amp gain.... Both work, in their own way. It's about taste.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

I'll just echo what most have said. Get a heavy fuzz pedal, a lot of big muff in this thread which is a good one but I love tonebenders, and an eq pedal.

I think the key is more the amp than pedals though. Get a nice a tube amp, crank it through 4X12 or two.

Archived