Stoner/Sludge Fuzz

EzzO)))

• Members

I'm thinking about joining a sludge/Stoner metal band I want to sludge up my sound a little. I play dual rec through a 2x12 orange with another 2x12 on the way. I'm thinking that best way to get the sound I'm after is by adding a fuzz pedal to rig and rolling back the gain on the amp a little. I've been looking for a good fuzz and I'm leaning towards the EH graphic fuzz pedal, this seems to have a really deep set of parameters making it easy to sculpt my tone. Does anyone have any experience with this pedal or know of something that would be better suited to my needs?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It would be overkill imo. A good sludge tone really doesn't take a lot of "tone sculpting". Just get any big muff and turn everything up as loud as it will go. I like the usa RI but for that kind of stuff it's not like anyone is going to say "omg he's not using a ram's head!!!"

A lot of bands also use the boss fuzz pedals. FZ-2 I think?

• Members

Yeah the HM-2 is a very deep sounding pedal - you've just gotta tweak those EQ posts right cause they're quite powerful.

Tho - I've always found it too compressed and fizzy with low sustain on single coils. With hums it's a different story.

Also - odd fact about the older HM-2's is that like the DM-2 it needs to run off one of those old model boss PSA's that actually kicked out more current than they stated. As a result the HM-2 if used with a regular 9v supply will often turn into a pretty wicked gated octave-up fuzz.

Party!

I've also had very sludgy results with my Russian Green BMP, the USA BMP and the Ibanez Standard fuzz with a booster infront of it. And the Roland Bee Baa.

The simplest answer though, as always, is the Big Muff.

:blah:

• Members

A muff of some sort, is a good foundation. I've found too, that using my Xotic RC Booster after it, and adding some bass here, really thickens and adds that sludge you want. The bottom end with these two pedals is great. Becomes more 3 dimensional too.

• Members

1)The Graphic Fuzz is more of an overdrive than a fuzz. Its based on the original Muff Fuzz (1 part of the current Double Muff)

2) I would get a USA Muff (they tend to be bassier/woofier than the Russians) and a cheap EQ to tailor your specific tone. Or if board space is an issue go with the LBM and an EQ.

Archived