Official HCFX pedal project brainstorming thread.

Jbrazz

• Members
Bitcrusher/Sample rate reducer. Actually, just a sample rate reducer, because seriously, that's like 5 components, and could realistically be built in a small box.

Here's a schematic, so you can see how easy it is to build:

ratereducer_proto.gif

One pot, one footswitch, small enclosure sample rate reducer. Seriously, two ICs, which would be about $4. Probably $10 in parts if you buy in bulk, not including the enclosure. And it's weird enough.

We could call it the... uh.... HCFX major LULZ. I don't know.

I have that pedal. Its pretty awesome. :thu:

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's going to take a little more than what's shown in that schematic to make the BugBrand sample rate reducer work in a pedal.

First, the AD781 (IC1) was designed to run on a bipolar power supply at +/-12V. The minimum voltage it can operate from is +/-10.8V. Tom Bugs designed the circuit to be powered from a +/-12V supply. The third IC (IC3) is a 5 volt regulator to power the CMOS hex inverter chip (IC2).

A regulated bipolar +/-12V power supply is going to add about $35 to the cost of the pedal.

DigiKey has a few hundred of the AD781JNZ chips in stock. They cost $13.88 each.

Now, you COULD modify this circuit to run on a single polarity power supply by adding a resistor ladder to provide a DC offset to the signal. You'd need to add coupling caps to the input and output to block the DC offset, but that's a good idea anyway since there might be a DC offset from the upstream pedal. However, if you want to run this on a 9V supply then you're going to need a different S&H chip.

• Members
well, here's a 4-in-the-morning-and-I'm-up-so-lets-do-something mockup:

mariopedalqb1.gif

And of course, we could get artists to do other games, like metroid, megaman, bubble bobble, dr. mario, tetris, etc...

that's awesome!!

I hate the font, but the rest of it is excellent. :thu:

• Members
Here's another layout/schematic I've found using the LM324 IC... REALLY REALLY SIMPLE!!!

Ok, now THAT looks doable!

Here's the actual schematic:

Analog%20Bit%20Crusher.gif

Note that the LM324 is also a bipolar device, but it can be operated from a single polarity power supply down to 3V, provided that a DC offset ladder is used (like I described in my previous post). R11 and R10 provide that ladder circuit. This thing WILL run on a single polarity 9V supply! :thu:

• Members
Ok, now THAT looks doable!

Here's the actual schematic:

Analog%20Bit%20Crusher.gif

Note that the LM324 is also a bipolar device, but it
can
be operated from a single polarity power supply down to 3V, provided that a DC offset ladder is used (like I described in my previous post). R11 and R10 provide that ladder circuit. This thing WILL run on a single polarity 9V supply!
:thu:

so....the big question is:

are you gonna step up to the plate? :poke:

• Members
Am I allowed to make changes? I think I could make this quite a bit simpler. That way we could say it really WAS an HCFX pedal!
:D

you can do whatever you like as far as i'm concerned....I'd much rather have something interesting like this than another fuzz pedal...

the only thing I would like is if it could be made for $100 or less, but I don't know of that's possible with this?

• Members

I just looked on mouser and the LM324s were like $.30. Yes, Thirty cents. and that's just one at a time.

This could be very cheap.

Now all we need are 8-bit artists, and someone to make the board...

I'm def. in for one, maybe two if the price is right...

awesome....I really hope amp surgeon takes this on.....he seems like the right guy to me.

• Members

Here's my design, for my pedal...

tanookipedalqb0.gif

By the way, here's what I suggest:

1 person to be the 'project manager' this person will maintain the list, collect the money, ship the pedals etc...

1 person to build the board/solder

1 person to build the enclosures w/art

1 person to assemble the pedals

So 4 people. I have the skills to be the project manager. I have successfully organized building a guitar over in HCEG (my musiclander) between 2 people, and am currently organizing building a mellotron between 4 people. The amish guy needs to hurry up though. This, by no means, means I'm throwing my hat in the ring, though... I'd need to see some people commit before that.

• Members
Here's my design, for my pedal...

tanookipedalqb0.gif

By the way, here's what I suggest:

1 person to be the 'project manager' this person will maintain the list, collect the money, ship the pedals etc...

1 person to build the board/solder

1 person to build the enclosures w/art

1 person to assemble the pedals

So 4 people. I have the skills to be the project manager. I have successfully organized building a guitar over in HCEG (my musiclander) between 2 people, and am currently organizing building a mellotron between 4 people. The amish guy needs to hurry up though. This, by no means, means I'm throwing my hat in the ring, though... I'd need to see some people commit before that.

mmm......to be honest I'd rather amp surgeon did everything. apart from paint them maybe...I'd rather send my money to him, because as he's in the pedal buisness I trust him 100%. Echo could help him too. No offence but I don't like the idea of sending the money to someone who isn't building them....also it makes sense for the person who's assembling them to send them out doesn't it? .....I just think the more people involved the more chance there is for a cock up.

• Members

how about a fuzz with a momentary switch to go octave up? could be a great noisemaker

I was thinking along those lines too. I was thinking more of a lo-fi DF-2, something along the lines of a Walco Sustainer circuit (which, to my understanding, is relatively simple and can be found online) with an octave up mod and a mix knob to mix with your unaffected signal. So essentially, when you hit the switch, a fuzzy octave overtone builds and sustains along with your unaffected signal. Could make for great drone sounds.

...But I'm really liking this bit crusher notion, as long as the circuit is modded a bit, so it's not a straight up clone. I've even got a design idea, but I'm swamped at work today with a big project, so I'll have to wait until tonight to make a mock-up. Basically it's the Pac-Man board, with pac-man as the knob and and HCFX! beneath the center square .

• Members

mmm......to be honest I'd rather amp surgeon did everything. apart from paint them maybe...I'd rather send my money to him, because as he's in the pedal buisness I trust him 100%. Echo could help him too. No offence but I don't like the idea of sending the money to someone who isn't building them....also it makes sense for the person who's assembling them to send them out doesn't it? .....I just think the more people involved the more chance there is for a cock up.

Very excellent point. So down to 3 people who are needed.

Archived