OT: Palin In Top 3 Percent of US Earners, Not "Joe Six Pack"

Sad Darwin

• Members

Hi guys, thought I'd share this article about the Palin's "joe six pack" claims. Long story short, the Palin's household income last year was $230,000 and their assets top $1.2 million dollars. Last time I checked that's a bit more than the "average Joe".

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1846372,00.html

Estimates Show Sarah Palin's Assets Top $1M

(WASILLA, Alaska)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The headline is VERY innacurate. $125k in top 1 percent? I don't think so. Counting houses is all very well, but she has a mortgage - the bank owns it, really.

It sounds like a lot, but it really isn't. Obama is worth 20 times that, at least. Where's the article on Obama?

• Members

The headline is VERY innacurate. $125k in top 1 percent? I don't think so. Counting houses is all very well, but she has a mortgage - the bank owns it, really.

It sounds like a lot, but it really isn't. Obama is worth 20 times that, at least. Where's the article on Obama?

Obama hasn't made the same claim. Particularly in that explicit of terminology.

• Members

$125k in top 1 percent?

$230,000 household income = top 2.5% by my calculation. Since corrected, although the top 1% IS only $380,000 a year. Yeah, all things considered I'd have to say Palin's claim to be "Suzie Six Pack the Soccer Mom" would be pretty far off.

• Members

My parent's house is worth more than hers.

As soon as your parents are pulling in a quarter million a year then I'll be happy for them. I'm glad to hear it though. Although I will say the average Americans house is worth almost twice what it was 6 years ago, which generally just results in higher property taxes. Often times on a property they may have bought previously, but if purchased today could not have afforded.

Archived