Anyone use a Marshall Micro-Stack?

petejt

• Members

Yep, I mean the tiny little toy-sized Marshall half-stack. pumpkin2.gif

p1666.jpg

I've had this thing for nearly 2 years, and damn I still love the tone of this thing! Fairly recently, I was having issues with its output jack, so would only get a very weak signal that required a huge {censored}load of re-amplifying to be able to hear it. But still, I really enjoyed the tone. Sure enough it wasn't all-valve, and just a mimic of its much bigger brothers, but still, I love it! :love:

I'm seriously considering on getting another one, and using it as an overdrive/distortion pedal in front of my Engl Fireball (running its clean channel), for some killer lead fuzzy tones or even just really distorted & raunchy rhythm crunch.

The Fireball itself has MOUNTAINS of gain, and great awesome tones of its own (especially super-clean tones) which I think make it special and therefore why I keep it. But still, I'm really keen on using both the Fireball & the Marshall mini-stack together for particular sounds.

Anyone else done something like this?

• Members
wait. srsy?

srsly

It sounds bloody GOOD! :thu:

I mean, c'mon, it's basically a distortion box with a speaker, so if treated as an overdrive/dirt, it's teh tits! :love:

The only issue is that the signal from the Micro-Stack is at line level, which is too high for an amplifier input. But I can attenuate it with an EQ pedal, a bit, which will help that issue.

Or just not worry about distortion on top of distortion....

• Members
Bernard Butler used one of those little Fender mini amps on the single 'Stay Together'. That's the closest I can get. I'm interested in picking up a Marshall Reverb 12 this weekend for 'mini Marshall' solid state sounds.

Cool. :cool:

You could say that I'm using the Marshall Micro-Stack as a distortion pedal. It's just that I prefer it over distortion pedals, and has a great tone of its own. Sure enough it's solid-state-y, a bit "not real" (ie just copying a big amp stack sound), but, it's cool!

I could get a Tonebone Hot British, or a Box of Rock, or MI Audio Crunch Box, but I'd rather just a Micro-Stack into the front of my Fireball, for 'pedal' distortion. Plus it's cheaper, and would look nifty on my pedal board :) .

• Members
this is kind of similar to what a producer friend of mine use to do

he said the best od/fuzz sound he could get was from an tiny old pignose amp with a tele at braking up point

Cool, thanks for that :thu: .

I think that's why I like using this little amp so much. I primarily use valve amp distortion, and have some of the best amps in the world for doing that sort of thing. I've started to enjoy 'artificial' dirt/od-fuzz tones for particular things, and I really like the Marshall sound. So I find that the Micro-Stack does both, really well.

• Members

I went to high school with this guy who would put one of those things on his belt and walk around the hallway playing metallica riffs.

lol, that reminds me of when I used to dream I'd be remotely performing a big concert by walking around high school playing an electric guitar with a wireless system.

Also reminds me of that Indian bloke in the turban that plays an electric guitar around Venice Beach (and San Francisco?) while roller skating. He was in the background in the Classic Albums feature of Fleetwood Mac's album Rumours. Weird guitar sound too, like he had a phaser or flanger pedal as well as a belt-on amp.

Archived