Where Should I Move???

amaleelake

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

WHere in upstate are you from? I grew up in Corning, went to school at Suny Binghamton (now Binghamton U) and then moved away to Indianapolis for grad school, then did the southern thing in NC like you. So I never thought I would move back to upstate, but here I am in Ithaca. Not a big city, but a great local music scence, you have both COrnell and Ithaca COllege that have vey good music programs, and it's a pro-dog kinda town (one of the best SPCA animal shelters in the US). Definitely cheaper than NYC, although not inexpensive. You got your mountains and scenery here for sure (150 waterfalls in a 10 miles radius). Might be worth checking out. Might vote of the three is Montreal though.

• Members

Montreal still in the lead :)

Destructobot: I really like that breakdown. NYC is kind of desperate to be hip huh :lol: Shame to hear about Minn. being full of kids on meth :freak:

adamthemute: Hot French Canadian chick indeed! One of the most beautiful women that I know is from Montreal - definitely a motivating factor. I have heard that the women there can be particularly snobish though...whatever, I am not really going to worry about that...

IRG: I spent about 14 years in (age 3 - 17) in Orange County NY which is just south of the Catskills. It is not very far "upstate" but anything above the city is kind of considered upstate right? Anyway, it is a gorgeous area that unfortunately now is being overrun by thugs from the city since rent went up.

I have a cousin who went to school for law in Ithica but never got a chance to visit. She spoke highly of it though. Maybe I shoud still check it out. Sounds really nice based on your description - thanks :) I already know that I love the north east so that is really kind of tempting.

• Members
Come to Montreal.
:)

Thanks for the invite - can I stay with you :) haha just kidding...

BTW: Do you know anyone from the States who has made the transition to live in Canada and what they had to do?

I have read through some websites, but there must be an easier way to live there without investing a ton of money, being a refugee, or proving that you can do a specific job better than anyone else in the country. I've heard that you guys have a pretty lenient immigration policy...

• Members

Montreal.

I lived in Asia for 5 years and moved back to the US. Lived there for 10 months before I had to skip country again. Came up to Canada. I live in Ottawa, which is only 2 hours from Montreal. Montreal is going to be VERY high on the list where I move to next.

I found it very easy to move to Canada, and I brought a cat with me. Just take your dog to the vet, get all the shots, and his records and that's all. At the border tell the guard you've got a dog and papers. They didn't even look at mine, I kept on saying "I've got a cat in here." and they were "thanks for telling us."

Also, depending on what type of job you want, go for the NAFTA Temporary Foreign Worker Visa. Extremely easy to get.

PM if you want more info.

Matthew

• Members
Montreal.

I lived in Asia for 5 years and moved back to the US. Lived there for 10 months before I had to skip country again. Came up to Canada. I live in Ottawa, which is only 2 hours from Montreal. Montreal is going to be VERY high on the list where I move to next.

I found it very easy to move to Canada, and I brought a cat with me. Just take your dog to the vet, get all the shots, and his records and that's all. At the border tell the guard you've got a dog and papers. They didn't even look at mine, I kept on saying "I've got a cat in here." and they were "thanks for telling us."

Also, depending on what type of job you want, go for the NAFTA Temporary Foreign Worker Visa. Extremely easy to get.

PM if you want more info.

Matthew

PM'd :wave:

• Members
just move to regina, saskatchewan

I thought that you were kidding at first, but I just read up on it and it actually looks pretty decent apart from it being rather flat. They seem to have a thriving arts scene.

So do you live there or what? Just visited and loved it? What is your experience with the music scene there?

Tell me something about it. I can't just blindly move there on a one sentence recommendation to do so :lol:

• Members

minneapolis sucks. montreal is beautiful but nyc is the best place for musical opportunity. i've always said that if you want to make it you have to be in nyc or l.a. .... but i live in atlanta so what do i know (but technically i've somewhat made it as a musician).

• Members

minneapolis sucks. montreal is beautiful but nyc is the best place for musical opportunity. i've always said that if you want to make it you have to be in nyc or l.a. .... but i live in atlanta so what do i know (but technically i've somewhat made it as a musician).

I am going to move there very soon (atl). What part of Atlanta do you live in? My aunt lived in... Sandy Springs? It seemed alright I use to go over there for a few weeks every summer when I was younger. I am trying to figure out where I need to stay. Any suggestions?

We opened a new business there and the guy we had running it didn't work out. So we let him go but the people under him aren't capable either. Some of us here in Bham have been having to go back and forth making sure everythings running smoothly. If I take the job fulltime I will get a big salary increase and my place will be paid for (at least until we see if its permanent). If things don't work out for some reason (I don't like it or they find someone better). I can come back here and make the same thing. It seems like a win win to me.

• Members
Thanks for the invite - can I stay with you
:)
haha just kidding...

BTW: Do you know anyone from the States who has made the transition to live in Canada and what they had to do?

I have read through some websites, but there must be an easier way to live there without investing a ton of money, being a refugee, or proving that you can do a specific job better than anyone else in the country. I've heard that you guys have a pretty lenient immigration policy...

Check out http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/immigrate/index.asp

I must say though, the actual "music scene" here is not as great anymore.

• Members

Montreal is a beautiful place. and don't worry about french, just pick up greetings and simple such phrases to be polite when someone speaks to you in french. then you can switch to English, as pretty much everybody is bi-lingual.

have you looked into Vancouver? it's kinda expensive, but it's a fantastic city. you can surf (cold as hell...but still) and then ski in the mountains in the same day. thriving arts scene like Montreal as well.

Archived