Where Should I Move???

amaleelake

• Members

So, I am getting tired of Costa Rica and am looking for a city to live in. I am going to dedicate myself to pursuing a musical/creative career (or as much of one as is possible in these times). I need to be able to go out and see shows, see theatre, go to museums, and be stimulated by other young and creative people. Being in the jungle has been great, but I am getting bored...

So I have narrowed it down to three options:

1. NYC

Pro: It's {censored}ing NYC - EVERYTHING is going on here.

Con: It is really really expensive.

2. Minneapolis

Pro: There is a great scene for the type of music that I play (Ambient/Noise/Glitch)

Con: There are no mountains and I think that it would be somewhat challenging for me to live so far away from the mountains.

3. Montreal

Pro: Again, a good scene for the type of stuff that I want to do. Really great city as far as design/layout goes.

Con: Dealing with the legal aspects of living there legally and with a big dog. If this obstacle didn't exist, I would choose Montreal in a second. Also, I don't speak French, but I picked up Spanish really easily after moving to Costa Rica, so I am not really worried about learning it once I get there.

I am also kind of aprehensive to move back to the Western world in general with the economy the way that it is, but I guess I am willing to take that chance.

So what do you think? I am looking for a little outside perspective. If you could say why you feel the way that you do that would be really helpful :thu:

BTW: There will be an opening for a hotel manager here on the beach in Costa Rica if anyone is interested :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just moved from minneapolis for a job. Great city. Lots of the benefits of a bigger city without so many of the problems.

I don't know the music scene real well there. I was there for grad school and didn't get that much time out with local bands. There are several good venues and there have been periods at least where good things were going on musically

• Members

I just moved from minneapolis for a job. Great city. Lots of the benefits of a bigger city without so many of the problems.

I don't know the music scene real well there. I was there for grad school and didn't get that much time out with local bands. There are several good venues and there have been periods at least where good things were going on musically

Cool, thanks for the input. It is great to hear the perspective of someone who actually lived there.

I can see the benefits that exist there, but what "problems" that are typically associated with big cities does Minn. avoid having?

• Members

I go to NYC a lot for work. Been to Minneapolis quite along time ago, thought it was great. Winters can be cold and long. Montreal, I've never been to, but I hear great things. I would check out Toronto too, very cosmopolitan city. Both of those would be great. NY is awesome, but only if you make a lot of money imo. Otherwise, rent/ownership is a killer. Tough with a big dog too. Minneapolis is probably the most affordable. If I could just move, I would consider Portland Oregon, and I really like Portland Maine too. No idea if theyhave the music scene you want, just really cool cities.

• Members

Wow, how did you end up in Costa Rica? What do you do there?

Minneapolis gets really cold! Are you OK with that? Something nice is that the Megabus stops in Minneapolis, though. So you could go to shows, theaters, etc. in Chicago and other places very cheaply and easily.

I didn't like my visit in New York, because it kind of smelled like pee everywhere.

• Members

Cool, thanks for the input. It is great to hear the perspective of someone who actually lived there.

I can see the benefits that exist there, but what "problems" that are typically associated with big cities does Minn. avoid having?

To me, it feels less congested, cleaner, and safer than other cities (e.g. chicago always makes me tired). I mean, there is crime and congestion and such, but manageable.

• Members

One vey nice city I liked that has a great music scene is Austin, TX. Not a huge fan of Texas in general, but Austin is great. Raleigh NC is also a great southern city. I lived there for a while, and could move back. Also in NC is Asheville. Great hippie city, arts, awesome weather, mountains, and not too expensive.

• Members

I'd say NYC, but not necessarily in NYC. Maybe some place like Hoboken/Jersey City so that you're close enough to Manhattan that you still feel like you're in the thick of it, yet you're far enough away that rent is a bit cheaper and you can easily get away from 'the big city' feeling if you want.

• Members

Out of those three...Canada.

Hate NYC, too much going on. Makes me want to stab people.

As for the other one, never heard anything so i cant say.

Edit: you dont have to speak french if you with in Montreal. Theres plenty of english speaking people or at least from my experience.

• Members

One vey nice city I liked that has a great music scene is Austin, TX. Not a huge fan of Texas in general, but Austin is great. Raleigh NC is also a great southern city. I lived there for a while, and could move back. Also in NC is Asheville. Great hippie city, arts, awesome weather, mountains, and not too expensive.

+1. If you can handle the heat (i imagine costa rica is pretty hot). I just got back from vacation there. Really cool city, lots of small businesses. I went to an Opeth show there and talked to a couple of locals while in line. Very odd place in texas. Very little redneck population, and a big bonus, in the entire time i was there i saw one McDonalds. Great food if your are into barbecue and such.

As for Toronto over Montreal, i just overall liked the atmosphere in Toronto. I went to Montreal when i was a fair bit younger so that might be why. I'm not into the language barrier, but you seem like the type who would enjoy it. Just when i was in Toronto i kept thinking how much better it was there over the states. People were nicer, appeared to be safer.

• Members

i would imagine NYC would be epic, but expensive. I have a friend that moved to montreal and loves it, cost of living is very cheap (relative to places i have lived) and the scene has been going off for years there. Any legal issues can be worked out with enough effort / money (depending what they are).

I vote Montreal.

• Members

Wow, thanks to everyone for all of the great responses!!

To touch on a few points that were mentioned:

IRG: I have definitely considered Portland. It seems great but I haven't heard as many positive specifics about the music scene there as I have about the three cities that I am considering. Seeing as how the main reason that I am moving back is to jump into performing as much as possible, I can't justify Portland.

I have actually lived in Raleigh, NC and spent a good amount of time in Asheville. I really love Asheville, but I don't want to live in the South anymore. Maybe if I played bluegrass I would consider Asheville, but that probably isn't going ot happen :)

I have heard great things about Austin too, but I really want to be up North. Thanks for all of your insight :thu:

MegaTom: That is a good idea really. Living just outside of the city would save on rent plus I actually have some family that lives in Northern Jersey but I really just want the experience of being in the midst of it all for a while. That might not make as much sense financially, but I have to try it out.

thefragile103: Yeah I hear what you are saying about people being different outside of the States. That is one of the things that I love about Costa Rica - everyone is so much more laid back and friendly compared to the stressed out masses in the U.S. I see definite benefits to living outside of the U.S. and as long as it isn't too much trouble to live in Montreal legally, I am sure that that point alone will sell me on moving there. Thanks for your input :thu:

zooLemon: That is a really great point about the economy in the DC area being more or less recession proof - I hadn't thought of that. Unfortunately, I was really turned off by DC when I was last there.

itsatimemachine: I ended up in Costa Rica after Bush got re elected - no not coincidentally :) I managed an organic farm in the middle of the jungle for the first year I was here and for the past three years I have been managing a small hotel on the beach. The lifestyle is great and I really wish that I could combine this relaxed approach to life with the access to the arts that exist in western cities, but since I can't I guess I will just go back and forth between the two extremes :lol:

So yeah, I know that I will have to acclimate myself to the cold all over again, but I am ready for it. I grew up in upstate NY so it is not a foriegn thing to me. Thanks for the tip on the bus from Minn. to Chicago. Sounds like a great service :thu:

RSG: Yeah, after researching some apartments it does seem pretty affordable. That is a definite draw!!

Well, I was really leaning towards Montreal before I made this poll and it is interesting how the majority seems to agree. As long as the legal process isn't too much of a pain in the ass (or too expensive) I can definitely see myself moving there withing the next four months or so.

I am still definitely interested in hearing more ideas from people if you are so inclined to write :wave:

• Members

NYC = too expensive, too fickle, too shallow, too.....dying to be hip 24/7

Minneapolis = Tiny and boring compared to the other two. I'm from Wisconsin, and the time I've spent there left me with an impression that the place is kinda boring and full of kids on meth.

Montreal = Win. The most European city not in Europe. Excellent street art everywhere, good music and culture scene, not disgusting or run down, loads of cultural mixing..... Plus it's not like being in NYC where you have to drive for 3 hours to see a forest.

Archived