Egnater Rebel 20

TechBrother

• Members

I went into GC to play a Rebel 20 for a little while and the verdict is...

WOW!

It sounds great. The difference between the 6V6's & the EL84's with the blend knob was noticable but not drastic. The 6V6's had a nice sparkle and the EL84's were a little warmer. The built in power attenuater is useful as the amp sounded good at all volumes. One thing I really liked about the amp was the gain range. The cleans had plenty of headroom at high volumes and the amp roared with the gain maxed. My biggest complaint is the lack of reverb but the amp suprisingly didn't sound stiff w/o reverb as I find w/ a lot of "boutique" amps.

Now I need to sell some {censored} to be able to afford one. :mad::facepalm::mad:

• Members

The 6V6's had a nice sparkle and the EL84's were a little warmer.

Really? I would have expected the exact opposite.

This amp intrigues me. I definitely want to try one.

By warmer I thought it sounded like it had a little more mids w/ the EL84's. The 6V6's almost sounded as glassy as a fender. Like I said, playing at low volumes in a music store there was only a subtle audible difference.

OK, I see what you're getting at now - the mids. That makes sense, although I usually find that EL84 equipped amps are glassier, with a brighter, edgier top, while 6V6's tend towards thicker and warmer sounding.

Terminology and language frequently fails us when discussing tone and sonics. :)

• Members

OK, I see what you're getting at now - the mids. That makes sense, although I usually find that EL84 equipped amps are glassier, with a brighter, edgier top, while 6V6's tend towards thicker and warmer sounding.

Terminology and language frequently fails us when discussing tone and sonics.
:)

What he said.

Of course, it really depends on the circuit.

el84's in a vox are "jangly, glassy, sparkly" but in an 18 watt marshall, they're "crunchy, thick, etc"

...:idk:

I really want to. First of all, it's a low powered amp - I like amps in the 10 - 20W range for recording. Secondly, it uses not just one, but two of my favorite output tube types, and can blend between them. And it's not all that expensive. Finally, it looks wicked cool IMO.

Yup, definitely want to try one...

• Members

I've heard it doesn't take pedals that well though.

I need to try one though.

Yeah someone posted that 1-2 days ago, forgot who. Said it sounded awesome, played with it for 2 hours, then came back with their pedalboard, and it didn't sound good with anything. Very depressing. Maybe it was the setup? Big drawback to me.

• Members

Brought home mine a few weeks ago. Did preorder and buy on faith, but not at all disappointed. Lots of great tones. Probably not the best gigging amp since only a single channel, but for the price you could buy 2 and set up one for clean and other for crunch.

Very nicely voiced; tone controls (to me) select the "right" bass/mid/treble ranges. Amazing how loud it can be at the 1W end of the power scale.

The tube blend knob seems to work in a faiurly subtle way to me. I tend to prefer in the 6V6 side for Taylor Std electric (Taylor HBs) and in the EL84 side for PRS Soapbar II (P-90s).

Retarius

• Members

Brought home mine a few weeks ago. Did preorder and buy on faith, but not at all disappointed. Lots of great tones. Probably not the best gigging amp since only a single channel, but for the price you could buy 2 and set up one for clean and other for crunch.

Very nicely voiced; tone controls (to me) select the "right" bass/mid/treble ranges. Amazing how loud it can be at the 1W end of the power scale.

The tube blend knob seems to work in a faiurly subtle way to me. I tend to prefer in the 6V6 side for Taylor Std electric (Taylor HBs) and in the EL84 side for PRS Soapbar II (P-90s).

Retarius

Do you use any pedals, if so, how do they work with this amp?

• Members

I'm runninga Verbzilla and RAT2 into the front end; nothing in the 'loop. The RAT seemed to happy in the loop, but not the 'zilla for some reason. Maybe the ability to match levels with the RAT? Haven't tried anything else in the loop, but I'm looking at an M13 for the loop. From others experiences, I know that will work ok.

Archived