Should we get another HCFX Pedal build going?

Bill Cosby

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Won't the passive ringmod have quite a bit of volume drop?

Germaniums steal a lot of signal.

Putting an lpb in the circuit wouldn't add much to the parts count. (2222 transistor?)

yes there is a drop. personally Iwouldnt make it passive but since it was brought up... :rawk:

• Members

yes there is a drop. personally Iwouldnt make it passive but since it was brought up...
:rawk:

Make it tiny (1590A tiny), and put it in a loop with a boost after it! :D

It'd keep the cost/labor wayyyy down.

A pocket-sized ring mod! (Because, if you could put it in your pocket, why wouldn't you?)

• Members

man, only now am I realizing how many mistakes I made while designing my ringmod a year ago! I used an lm386 to boost the signal because I wasn't good with transistors. I used a dual opamp oscillator with a poorly isolated squarewave half, etc.

• Members

what about GFS mod board delay in one box (like the nitefly mini delay). The boards are populated and ready to finnish, just need to add the normal pots and the enclosure, someone could mod it a bit and add some extra features.

That doesnt seem, to me, to be really an HCFX pedal. It's just putting a circuit board in a home. Not really building anything.

And for the mods, not sure if anyone here really wants to mod, or even has the skills to mod, SMD.

• Members

if someone lays out a diagram, i could do the build

seriously? Could you build 35-40 of these? If so, I'll try to find someone to do the diagram and I think I have someone who can match the diodes. I'm still thinking some type of ring mod, maybe passive, maybe with a power booster, or an oscillator.

I don't like the idea of just throwing a pedal kit in a box and labeling it HCFX.

• Members

seriously? Could you build 35-40 of these? If so, I'll try to find someone to do the diagram and I think I have someone who can match the diodes. I'm still thinking some type of ring mod, maybe passive, maybe with a power booster, or an oscillator.

I don't like the idea of just throwing a pedal kit in a box and labeling it HCFX.

you think 40 people want a ring mod? (also it's nearly the same as the sample reducer that amp surgeon was working on?)

• Members
I'm working on building/modding an all tube overdrive which can easily become a trem pedal. It's a pretty sweet alternative to the ringmod. 10 or so parts plus a tube. Hardest part would be making the enclosure.

now this sounds more interesting :love:

maybe a trem/OD pedal... :idea:

• Members

Hi all. Sorry I didn't chime in earlier. I've been in Asia for the past week, and just got back yesterday.

I admit that I haven't had much time to devote to the original project once the initial prototype was put together. Seriously, though, if anyone wanted to jump in there's enough info in the original thread for anyone else to build a prototype and continue with the R&D. The only real problem left to resolve is the clock noise, which isn't horrible, but it's enough to be annoying.

I'll also admit that I knew I wasn't going to have much time to put into it when I originally got involved in it, and knew there was a pretty good chance that any technical problems that would require any amount of real R&D time would probably relegate the project to the back burner for a while. Then again, I didn't exactly jump up and down screaming "Pick Me! Pick Me!". I sort of got drafted! :D

• Members

Hi all. Sorry I didn't chime in earlier. I've been in Asia for the past week, and just got back yesterday.

I admit that I haven't had much time to devote to the original project once the initial prototype was put together. Seriously, though, if anyone wanted to jump in there's enough info in the original thread for anyone else to build a prototype and continue with the R&D. The only real problem left to resolve is the clock noise, which isn't horrible, but it's enough to be annoying.

Any builders want to take a crack at what amp_surgeon started? If so, let me know how I can help.

Archived