Should we get another HCFX Pedal build going?

Bill Cosby

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

eh, I still like the bit crusher/sample rate reducer idea. We just need to find someone who can do it cheap and easy. Other than that, letsgocoyote made a list of pedals here (just scroll down a bit), when we were discussing pedals for a subscription type of deal. He seemed to indicate that they would be on the cheap side and relatively easy to make. I like the idea of a passive ring mod or pocket synth. It just seems like the novelty fuzz/overdrive pedal has been done to death. If Eric is too busy, maybe he could hand off the idea/schematic to someone else here to build.?

• Members

Amp_Surgeon had a cool project going! if it's gonna take 5-6 months before he has the time to work on it again then I dont see anything wrong with startign a quick and mini HCFX build going (as long as he's cool with it). if it's just a matter of two months, then I'd wait.

but whatever

• Members

I like the passive ringmod idea, could even fit inside an 1590A! maybe with a simple opamp triangle oscillator in there. twitchable between oscillator and external carrier.

but at the same time, I dont knwo how fair it would be to Amp_Surgeon who obviously put a lot of time into the bitcrusher

• Members

yeah, but do you have the time/willingness to take on something like this? amp_surgeon clearly doesn't at the moment.

to be honest, not really (aside from giving pointers and ideas). I'm working on a DIY synth, later a batch of ringmods, and an EP hopefully sooner than later.

• Members

indeed it's real easy. the hardest part is matching the diodes for each of the ringmods.

is matching the diodes something that could be done by one person and then handed off to someone else for the actual build?

I'm just trying to get a sense of how we could break up the workload on this sort of thing.

• Members

is matching the diodes something that could be done by one person and then handed off to someone else for the actual build?

if they have a multimeter and a bit of organization, I cant see why not. every germanium diode has a bit of resistance (like 300ohm for example). when you buy a huge quantity of these (like 40 or 50) there will be a range of resistance between-them. some will be 300ohm, others 299, 302, 315, 296, 301, etc etc etc etc. most multimeters worth their salt have a "diode" mode which will give you the resistance. matching diodes involves testing each one and groupign them into fours that match as closely as possible! like one group of two 300ohm, one 299 and one 301, another group of three 274 and one 276, another group 305, two 304 and a 306, etc etc etc. unmatched diodes can also work in a ringmod, but matched oens will greatly reduce carrier bleed. the unplesant whine you'd hear.

you kind of have to be prepared to buy more diodes in short notice if you dont have enough that match closely.

smallbear has some NOS ones for 45 cents a piece. you can usually find them for cheaper at good electroncis stores. radioshack will rip you off.

Archived