What is a cheap looper pedal?

mark7171

• Members

I'm sometimes surprised more people don't make better/cheaper loopers like the RC-2. Are they expensive/complicated pedals to produce? Seems like the RC-2 doesn't have a lot of competition, given it's size and price. I have the DL-8 and as a basic looper it's ok, but 20 seconds really isn't enough for a lot of applications it would seem.

• Members

The Hardwire looper is cool, but limited. You have to record your phrase, and be very slick with the press/release of the footswitch to time it right for playback. And even then, after you're looping you have to keep looping... once you turn it off, it's erased and you're back to square one. You can overdub on top of that loop as well, but can't go any longer and multiple overdubs will start to distort the pedal's output.

I think they just kinda stuck that in there for the "cool" factor. I wouldn't consider it a comparable looper compared to the Loop Station or Jamman. If you want a cheap looper, I would go RC-2.

• Members

Are they expensive/complicated pedals to produce?

a bit more complicated than a digital delay. but I think another reason might be because they're a niche effect. loopers don't sell as much as other effects so they might need to up the price to break even and make a profit.

I suspect that's part of the reason.

• Members
a bit more complicated than a digital delay. but I think another reason might be because they're a niche effect. loopers don't sell as much as other effects so they might need to up the price to break even and make a profit.

I suspect that's part of the reason.

its just a bit more complicated than a digital delay, depending on what features you want, which basically are how long do you want to have the loop, do u need overdub, should the loop be erased when turned off, or do u want to store it, does it also support drumsamples aso...

i got a rc-2 a couple of weeks ago, i needed to read the instructions 3 times to come along with it, now i need more and more practice to make it right.

its amazing how much boss have put in this little thing and how logically it is to operate once you understand the manuell and all the knobs and leds of the pedal.

a digital delay with longer delay time (e.g. 10sec) can work as a basic looper, but rc2 headrush and co have a lot more to offer and therefore they are more complex and have a higher price, but the rc-2 for was worth the investment and i shouled have got it earlier :facepalm:

• Members

I'm interested in a cheap one as well.

I would plan on playing a progression once, then loop it. While that's playing, I'd play another lick on top of it, and then have both things going. And then just play normally over that.

Any suggestions?

Archived