All in one distortion pedals?

Taylor704

• Members

So i've been searching for a while, looking for distortion pedals that can do it all, mild to metal and back again. Also, simplicity in a pedal is key for me anyway. As much as a pedal may sound amazing, if it's hard to figure out it's no good to me. I have considered the following:

Proco Rat - Has the gain but the sound from the new ones, and i don't want one with a stupid three way switch

Subdecay Blackstar - I really, really, really love the look and sound of this pedal but i'm a bit worried by people saying it'll never do metal and that it'll just become a high gain fuzz

Blackstar HT Dist - Can't complain about the sound but the awkward power supply and the worry of having to replace a tube puts me off a bit

Can anyone help me with this predicament? :confused:

• Members

The Digitech Distortion Factory can be had for cheap, 7 modes of dirt. Youre gonna have to turn knobs anyway so

It's no so much i don't want to have to change setting but it's when the pedal has an excess of switches which i can't make sense of that it annoys me

• Members

Visual Sound Jeckyl and Hyde. Yes, it's two pedals in one, but you can get mild, or really heavy with this pedal. I was talking with Brad at Tonefactor, and he's quite impressed with this pedal. I have the Route 66, not high enough gain for you, but I've been very impressed with it overall. Give the J&H a shot, not that expensive either. Get the V2.

• Members

mild to metal is a tough call unless you go for some kind of modeling pedal like has been suggested.

I'm my experience most 'metal' pedals are voiced really differently to 'normal' distortions, and there aren't many high gain pedals that sound that great at low gain imo.

I'd probably recommend 2 pedals....one for low to mid 'regular' distortion/overdrive and another to go from mid to high gain 'metal' sounds.

or go for a two in one, like IRG is recommending.

• Members

No box can do metal, not even the BOX OF METAL

I dunno about that. For just playing around, I have a cheap Rocktron Metal Planet (off my board, but I use it occasionally) and it makes a pretty convincing metal sound. Mind you, not the same perhaps as a stack of amps running full throttle, but not everyone needs/wants that.

There is a lot of metal out there, that isn't exactly as thrashy as I think you are thinking of. Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, great old school metal can be immitated fairly easily with some decent pedals.

• Members

I loved the Jekyll and Hyde, I don't think it'll do metal though. Thick distortion yes, but metal no. IMO

Like I mentioned to Nateral, depends on the "genre" of metal I guess. Newer thrash metal, you're probably right. But it should cover a lot of older or less aggresive forms of metal I would think, especially with both channels running together.

• Members

Taylor - what kind of metal?

The heaviest music that i can play is Metallica and i know they use Mesa Boogies and stuff which i could only buy if i won the lottery but any heavier than that and it just gets too stupid for me.

I was wondering if i stacked a Keeley DS-1 and SD-1 would it get a metal sound? Metal isn't my main genre at all, most of the time i go for Radiohead/Bloc Party levels of distortion thus why i thought the Keeley DS-1 would provide enough gain

Archived