Fender Massive Price Increase

tubezipper

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Source please?

I understand that prices eventually have to go up - when labor, materials and the other costs of business increase, so too must prices... but in light of the current state of the economy world-wide, this seems like a rather bad time to have to do it...
:idk:

I heard it from a dealer friend. It already went up here in canada and it's gonna be more in feb he said. He told us last weekend.

bad time? nope it actually makes sense, because of the ecomomy. Prices goes up on some and really low on some (gas) then we'll hit a major crash. People gonna start losing jobs etc..I don't even wanna think about it..

I remember when a brand new American Deluxe tele was only $999...now they're $1249.

And I can remember when a brand new MIA Strat or Tele was close to $800 new... and that was in the late 70s / early 80s. Going through some of my books and seeing what things cost in the early 1960s, and then adjusting that for inflation, the prices today are really not all that unreasonable IMO. While I have no idea how "massive" this price increase is going to be, I don't think that current prices are historically out of line.

• Members

I read this over in another forum, apparently it's only for a few select models.. Eric Clapton Strat is one I remember off the top of my head.

Not that I care, I have all my Fenders I could ever need anyways. But as mentioned, buy used in the first place and keep some cash in your pocket.

• Members

from another site

Am.Standard strat or tele, now($999), Feb. 1($1275)
Am Deluxe strat or tele, now($1250), Feb. 1($1650)
Am Vintage strat or tele, now($1600), Feb. 1st($2200)

$2200 is crazy for AVRI stuff. hell i've seen some mid 60's jaguars recently for close to that. the day is fast approaching where the price of a vintage fender and the price of it's current made RI are too close to justify the reissue. it's already happening with their amps.

• Members

Going through some of my books and seeing what things cost in the early 1960s, and then adjusting that for inflation, the prices today are really not all that unreasonable IMO. While I have no idea how "massive" this price increase is going to be, I don't think that current prices are historically out of line.

Yeah, but they were all hand made with Nitro finishes back then, and didn't have parts crafted in China. Now machines precisely carve the bodies, the finishes are almost entirely done in the time saving and far less dangerous Poly coat fashion, and the parts come cheap. Then there's wages, which haven't truly risen with inflation, plus there's all the models made in other countries. It's apples and oranges.

• Members

I'm going Danelectro

Already there brah!

I donno why, I love cheap guitars/effects/amps.. I like stuff that's older and people look down upon.. I've always loved Dano's stuff, most people hate it because it's plastic and cheap.. This is one of the best guitars I've ever played. Even in comparison to high-end Fenders, Gibsons, etc, etc

DSC00606.jpg

• Members
from another site

Am.Standard strat or tele, now($999), Feb. 1($1275)

Am Deluxe strat or tele, now($1250), Feb. 1($1650)

Am Vintage strat or tele, now($1600), Feb. 1st($2200)

WOW, {censored} that. I was actually kicking around the idea of putting my tax return towards something Fender-y, but there's no way if those prices are at all accurate. Standards are gonna cost more than Deluxes do now? They're already overpriced.

• Members

I remember when a brand new American Deluxe tele was only $999...now they're $1249.

And I can remember when a brand new MIA Strat or Tele was close to $800 new... and that was in the late 70s / early 80s. Going through some of my books and seeing what things cost in the early 1960s, and then adjusting that for inflation, the prices today are really not all that unreasonable IMO. While I have no idea how "massive" this price increase is going to be, I don't think that current prices are historically out of line.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with prices as they are and I understand normal price increases...but a $400 increase for the deluxe line is--pardon my french--bat{censored} {censored}ing crazy.

• Members

This is true. The shop I work at is a Fender dealer. It's not going to be a HUGE increase, but there will, in fact, be an increase.

MIM's will be $419.99 I believe.

Still nowhere near as dramatic as what Gibson's been doing the last 5 years. Remember when the Faded models were only $600? They're $900 now.

Archived