Happy with your setup?

GaijinGweilo

• Members

I like my setup it sounds awesome;

maybe it has something to do with my 'less pedals' philsophy, in that basically i go into a treble booster, then a stereo analog delay & then straight into 2 amps (in stereo with a wee Vox Pathfinder ss).

I bought my DSL 201 on the cheap just because i needed a new tube amp, & fully expected to have to replace it with a AC15 once i got the money. After a few months, maybe almost a full year playing around with the DSL, i finally got it set up the way want it & now i don't really feel like i 'need' to get an AC15 anymore.

Sometimes i toy with the idea of getting a decent wah-pedal to throw in there, & i got a double-muff on the way (just to see whether i like it or not as an experiment), but basically there's nothing else i'd want to do to my rig to improve on it, it doesn't feel like it really 'needs' anything else...

I always figured i'd be one of those guys that'd "never be quite happy" with their sound, but everytime i pick up & play i come away satisfied with it. Now i don't know whether that's just because i got it on the cheap, but i got the money for an AC15 now & could easily go get one, i just don't particularly want to anymore.

Like i said, maybe its because i got less pedals & that gives me a much more simplified or direct sound, but i've also heard my share of TT-demos on the web & although the leads sound the same as my DSL's, the straight chords/rhythm playing to me always sounded a little thin, not enough 'oomph' (or whatever) like my Marshall has, maybe that has something to do with their cab-choices i dunno, but i definately prefer the DSL over those Orange's (in the same wattage-bracket, though i have heard AD30's that i've really liked, though more than a DSL100? I couldn't say...)

Plus i get all the modern conveniences of the DSL's extras (i.e. clean channel, FX loop, reverb etc.)

Getting the thing setup properly is of key-importance though; the first 2-3 months i had the DSL i wasn't entirely whether i liked it or not But its all down to having the 'master' volume up & enough preamp-gain to push the power-tubes properly (a JHS-style treble booster is a must i find, its just fixes everything in the amp & i play with it always on, adjusting the amount of gain with the volume knob) & contorl the overall output-volume with the OD channel's volume knob. You can get great Marshall tones at literally bedroom levels, its friggin fantastic (plus at 20 watts the thing can get loud enough for small-to-medium-sized gigging).

Just having the preamp volume up & the master down isn't quite enough; some idiot mentioned before (who shall remain nameless) 'the signal is the same going in anyway', having the master up on the DSL's is the difference between having it sounding too 'preamp' brittle & mediocre, to having it sounding well rounded & actually quite good. I guess that's my review on the DSL 201, i highly reccommend it for getting that 'proper' Marshall tone at bedroom-levels, though don't get one unless you already have a treble-booster handy (that component is fundamentally key to getting the best out of it).

So, does anyone else feel satisfied with their rig?

I definately prefer the 'less-is-more' approach, & i've never been much for knob-twiddling instead of just playing the thing,

do you think maye if you took more pedals 'out' of the chain that you'd be more happy with a simplified setup?

• Members

Very, not replacing a single thing that im using ever again, its brilliant, i love it, it sounds good, the rest of the band likes it, and its practical.

And im being 100% serious

well, c'mon spill the beans :p

i did a fairly in-depth analysis of my setup, what's the in-&-outs of yours?

i guess i'm just really interested in hearing from people who have 'found' what they're looking for,

(which would make a change from the usual..) & it might be great a help to some people reading about rigs/setups that work.

• Members

I couldn't be happier with my setup. I've literally fine tuned every inch of it from pickups to speakers. I've put a tremendous amount of thought, research and time into it. Not to mention all the extra stuff I have on hand so that when my tastes change I can swap things out. It's the first time ever that I can honestly say I'm done buying gear. :thu:

• Members

well, c'mon spill the beans
:p

i did a fairly in-depth analysis of my setup, what's the in-&-outs of yours?

Haha, I only just read your post, I posted before reading it!

Right:

My main guitar is a J Mascis Jazzmaster, i freaking love this guitar, the wiring has apparently been changed from a standard CIJ Jazzmaster but i dont really know anything about that. All I know is it sounds amazing on every pickup, the body is an incredibly comfortable shape, and its sparkly purple for crying out loud!

My second guitar is a G&L Asat Classic, I love telecasters for me and this the ultimate tele, great build quality and great hardware too, it just does exactly what you would expect!

As far as pedals go, Pitchblack tuner does what it says on the tin, tunes, and does it really well! My main dirt is a FullDrive II Mosfet, mostly stays on all the time then i kick in the boost when i get really dirty :love: alongside that I run a big muff for leads because it is just so amazing for that and its pretty much the sound in my head! and a Line 6 DL4 for all my delay needs... which covers me completely, analog, digital and reverse pre-sets mean i can do anything i want with my delay, and my band is quite delay-heavy at the moment. I also use an Alesis Quadraverb for when I need reverb that sounds like your playing in a cave the size of the southern hemisphere, which is surprisingly quite often.

My amp is a fender bassman head from around the mid 60's scored it off ebay with my Hot Rod funds. Stays clean at the volumes I want, sounds absolutely {censored}ing incredible and is easy to get around because its a head+cab setup.

:love:

• Members

It's the first time ever that I can honestly say I'm done buying gear.
:thu:

& isn't that what we're all aiming for?

I can honestly say, from here on out, that the only piece of equipment i'd ever need to take with me anywhere, to play on any amp with any guitar, is my JHorbySkewes-clone treble booster. That's it.

• Members

Very pleased with my setups, both virtual and analog. I wouldn't mind adding an analog high-gain amp to my collection, probably a Peavey 6505+ or JSX (although I am looking forward like hell to the new 6505 and JSX amps coming up, I can't wait to see what they're doing).

• Members

My main guitar is a J Mascis Jazzmaster, i freaking love this guitar, the wiring has apparently been changed from a standard CIJ Jazzmaster but i dont really know anything about that.

My amp is a fender bassman head from around the mid 60's scored it off ebay with my Hot Rod funds. Stays clean at the volumes I want, sounds absolutely {censored}ing incredible and is easy to get around because its a head+cab setup.

:love:

J Mascis Jazzmaster; is that the signature-model of the guy from Dinosaur Jr?

I love that guy's sound.

Fender Bassman's are the tits, i love them (& i do believe the very first Marshall amplifier was designed off an early Bassman,

i read that somewhere recently, don't ask me where but a search might prove fruitful)

• Members

Very pleased with my setups, both virtual and analog. I wouldn't mind adding an analog high-gain amp to my collection, probably a Peavey 6505+ or JSX (although I am looking forward like hell to the new 6505 and JSX amps coming up, I can't wait to see what they're doing).

Not that I'm a huge fan of EVH or anything (quite the opposite, really), but if you're looking for a really great high gain amp (and you can afford it...it's pricey), the new EVH amp is the best multi channel amp I've ever played...and this is from a guy who swears by single channel amps and has pretty much tried every multi-channel amp out there and has found most all of them lacking in some way.

All the channels are useful and when you switch between them, they don't sound like they're coming from completely different amps (some amps have such drastically different sounding channels that it just sounds unnatural when you switch between them) and there's no pause between switching channels like on some amps. That's my minimum threshold for a multi channel amp. Beyond that, the amp itself is well built and sounds great. The EVH logo is also easily removed. :thu:

If you've got the dough, it's worth checking out. :)

• Members

i would not be at all disappointed if i could not get more stuff for my rig. it sounds great and works well but im always gonna be looking for another pedal or guitar just cause thats the way i am.

Oh yeah i'm pretty much the same way, i got a double muff in the post atm.

BUT, its less a need to fix some inherent tone-problem, more a desire just to see what's out there & if i can get anything really interesting/useful out of my basic sound.

If its good or if i have a use for it, it stays. If it isn't any making any drastic improvement/interesting changes to my original tone, then I sell it on.

• Members

J Mascis Jazzmaster; is that the signature-model of the guy from Dinosaur Jr?

I love that guy's sound.

Fender Bassman's are the tits, i love them (& i do believe the very first Marshall amplifier was designed off an early Bassman,

i read that somewhere recently, don't ask me where but a search might prove fruitful)

Yeah it is his signature guitar, and it sounds better than it looks, if that is even possible!

• Members

Not that I'm a huge fan of EVH or anything (quite the opposite, really), but if you're looking for a really great high gain amp (and you can afford it...it's pricey), the new EVH amp is the best multi channel amp I've ever played...and this is from a guy who swears by single channel amps and has pretty much tried every multi-channel amp out there and has found most all of them lacking in some way.

All the channels are useful and when you switch between them, they don't sound like they're coming from completely different amps (some amps have such drastically different sounding channels that it just sounds unnatural when you switch between them) and there's no pause between switching channels like on some amps. That's my minimum threshold for a multi channel amp. Beyond that, the amp itself is well built and sounds great. The EVH logo is also easily removed.
:thu:

If you've got the dough, it's worth checking out.
:)

Well... the EVH amp has a lot in common with the Fender Supersonic, which is significantly less expensive, and which is in consideration for my high gain amp addition. Thing is, I just really love the Peavey high gain tone, and if the new 6505 or JSX series amps are badass I might just have to own one :)

• Members

I'm getting there, I had a lot of things on my 'want list' but after getting a few of them I'm able to cross of some that share the same territory. I'm trying to redo everything because I've had the same core sound for so long, need a little change up.

I'll get there soon hopefully.

• Members

Pedals, guitar, and amp wise? I've got a couple of things to go, but they're minor. Get a spring reverb, trade something, got a guitar being built, and get a pickup for my acoustic.

Everything else? I got a way to go. I gotta buy a recording thing, a big mixer, two keyboards, mics, an mpc, and an mfx for keys. Edit: also, Max MSP, MIDI stuff, and a behringer foot controller. Edit2: And a toy piano.

Archived