Happy with your setup?

GaijinGweilo

• Members

What else is there to spend $ on?

This is a good point; personally, having a tone i'm happy with means i don't have to do the endless buying-&-selling-on of pedals looking for something that's missing, & instead save up & buy a whole new other amp if i really want, without selling the old one (i'd love to be able to collect lower-wattage tube amps from all the major maufacturers; AC15, Vibro Champ, AD5 etc.)

That'd just be tonal heaven.

• Members

Not in the least.

What I tend to do when I buy gear is love something for a week or two, then slowly start hating it and I rarely like something after a month.

I don't know what I'm going to do really. I've had a couple of really "good" amps in the past year but none of those have worked for me.

I think I want a Mesa or Hiwatt. From video demos, they have seemed the most like what I'm after. But they're expensive...

Maybe I should give it all up and start playing the triangle. Or flute.

• Members

Very content with my amp. The only reason I might want a new one would be because it's shinier and has a different name on the front but blah blah whatever I'm trying not to be that materialistic. Insanely good cleans and hi-gain tones.

Pedalboard's been static for quite a while, too, without showing signs of changing. And all I really want right now is a strap and new pickups.

• Members

I'm finally really happy with my setup.. I was having some problems with tone suckage but thats to be expected when running as much stuff as i do.. I fixed the problem by building myself a stand-alone buffer and placing it in the front of my chain.. Problem solved :thu:

_MG_9914.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

• Members

It's hard to say...when I play it I'm happy, but when I think about it, I'm meh...

My board is bigger than it should be in my mind. But when I try to take pedals off, I always miss them and end up putting them back on...
I'd love to run a simple set up. But even that'd be Volume, Delay, Dirt (light-med od and muff/fuzz), tuner, and wah. That's a perfect set up in my mind. But I love what I can do with my phase, chorus, and comp.

My amp is amazing. I love it os much and will never part with it. I'm very hpapy with it.

Guitar wise, I have a fair collection, lots of good stuff. However I'm currently geeling the need to buy a new one since I haven't in a while.
I think I just need to talk myself out of it though. :)

• Members

I'm pretty happy with my guitars, but will probably get a jazzmaster next. That's probably a year away. Satisfaction 9 out of 10

Pedals, I like to try out new pedals all the time, but the basics of my board change very little. I wasn't really happy with the DMM by itself, but the addition of the ThunderTweak Delay really added some delay clarity and depth that the DMM just can't do. Of course the DMM is great with it's modulation, so it will stay. I'll need to get off my ass and get the DMM mods done to fix the lack of headroom. My fuzz needs are fully met, but I do miss my Hartman NKT275 just for the vintage sounds it got. :cry: I'm not completely happy with the timmy and the screwdriver, but it may be my amps. Nothing I'm really gasing for anything at the moment. Satisfaction 9 out of 10

My Amps is where I am least satisfied. I like the Blues Deluxe but I don't get a chance to use it these days like I used to. :facepalm: At home I use my champ since my son borrowed my practice amp last fall to take to college. I am looking for more than what the champ can give me and I don't want to abuse this nice little vintage amp. I have a budget of $1,500 that I will get in March for an amp. I'm looking at everything from a PRRI to a Reeves, Swart, Carr, Laney, etc. I'll probably go for the PRRI, but an amp that can be cranked and produce nice crunch in the bedroom/studio without pissing the family off is high on my want list. If I go with the PRRI and sell some pedals, I'll have more than enough to get the Jazzmaster too. Satisfaction 7 out of 10.

Overall: Probably 8.5 out of 10.

• Members

i bought a laney tt50 from a forumite last week and i'm ecstatic with how my asat special sounds through it to the point that i haven't even brought my pedal board up to run through it.

i'll do it sometime this week to see how they sound but the drive on this thing is so good that my gain pedals will most likely either be getting used for boosts or sold.:thu:

• Members

Very happy with my setup. I've been through probably 10 amps, 20 pedals, and 5 or 6 guitars and lots of wasted money. I'm finally able to just enjoy playing again without feeling like theres something missing.

To everyone on this site: I dislike all of you for introducing me to TONS of great products I had never tried before and forcing me to spend my money on them. Of course I'm only kidding, but seriously, I've learned 100% more here about gear than most other forums.

MIA Fender Strat, Michael Kelly Patriot Custom.. Peavey Classic 30.. Original Cry-Baby, Hardwire Tl-2 Distortion, Hardwire TC-2 Distortion, Keeley BD-2, Boss CE-5, MXR Carbon Copy.. powered by a DC brick. Rarely have them all hooked up because I like to keep it simple, but they all (hopefully) are holding at least a semi-permanant spot on my board. If anyone has questions about how any of this stuff works together feel free to PM.

• Members

Well, to all those people who are unsatisfied, i guess my only piece of advice is to get back to basics;

plug your favourite guitar straight into your favourite amp & see what you like/dislike about it.

Try & figure out what it needs & add that to the chain. If its still lacking, add something else etc. until you get to the point where you find yourself playing without having to go knob-twiddling & messing around with your gear.

Failing that, maybe sell some gear & start from scratch;

there's a lot to be said for a very basic setup (& that would basically be 'tooone').

• Members

Add in another guitar down the road, and I'll be frighteningly ecstatic.
:love:

what guitar you after in particular? or better yet, what guitars you already got?

Me, i can only realistcally see myself either getting a Les Paul gold top with P-90's, or a red SG with p-90's (proper 'the Who' style),

as i'm more into sonic-variety, & just don't have anything with p-90's in it yet.

• Members

what guitar you after in particular? or better yet, what guitars you already got?

Fender Custom Shop butterscotch Telecaster and modded walnut Telecaster Deluxe.

After either a Gretsch Duo Jet or Gibson ES-335. But not for a while yet.

• Members

Fender Custom Shop butterscotch Telecaster and modded walnut Telecaster Deluxe.

After either a Gretsch Duo Jet or Gibson ES-335. But not for a while yet.

Ahh, Telecasters into an AC30, very good choice.

Telecasters into a Twin also sound like perfection to my ears,

but so do humbuckers into a DSL, so i got a variety in taste :p

• Members

Well, to all those people who are unsatisfied, i guess my only piece of advice is to get back to basics;

plug your favourite guitar straight into your favourite amp & see what you like/dislike about it.

Try & figure out what it needs & add that to the chain. If its still lacking, add something else etc. until you get to the point where you find yourself playing without having to go knob-twiddling & messing around with your gear.

Failing that, maybe sell some gear & start from scratch;

there's a lot to be said for a very basic setup (& that would basically be 'tooone').

I dunno man. My advice is to stop worrying about tone because people have made it big with less. Music is supposed to be a creative experience, and constantly worrying about tone is pretty self-defeating.

• Members

I dunno man. My advice is to stop worrying about tone because people have made it big with less. Music is supposed to be a creative experience, and constantly worrying about tone is pretty self-defeating.

Since when is music about "making it big"? :confused:

Tone can part of the creative experience and it's also a very subjective thing in regards to it's quality. The bottom line is if your sound doesn't move you, you can't expect it to move others.

Some folks get their sound by accident, some put some thought into it. Neither approach is any more or less "creative".

I believe worrying about conventional tone "standards" or copping the specific tone of another player can be an obstacle to creativity, but tone is an element of music (like pitch or rhythm) regardless of whether one considers it or not and, as such, offers opportunity for creative possibility just like any other element of music. :)

Archived