New Orange Dual Terror.

b_nehpets

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yep, it's features are great. A lot of sites have it listed at it's msrb, but blackheart themselves say it should be about 600 once it's released. I just hope it's like their other amps but with usable headroom.

• Members

yep, it's features are great. A lot of sites have it listed at it's msrb, but blackheart themselves say it should be about 600 once it's released. I just hope it's like their other amps but with usable headroom.

Ooh, it's EL34 too... I just read the site.

Footswitchable loop is great feature - especially since it has no reverb.

• Members

I play at low levels so I was able to keep it clean for the most part. But the cleans were sort of ice picky and I didn't like the grainy fizzy distortion. I actually prefer the smooth flavor of my epiphone valve junior.

By the way, there was a thread about a factory hod rod valve junior with reverb over at the epiphone forums at least over a year ago - is it really coming out?

• Members

I'd rather get a Frenzel or blackheart. New blackheart bh100h, when it eventually comes, will be $600, with muchhhhh more headroom than it's lower wattage offerings.

Never heard of Frenzel before, but I just checked out their website and they seem very impressive... sounds like the guy will do anything for you too! I've also been considering the 15w Blackheart. (the bh100h seems like a bit more than I need, but at only 600 bones its still tempting.)

I've been worrying about getting a single channel amp because I'd have to use a footswitch/stompbox to go from clean to dirty, which means using my boss OD pedal. Will I still get the tube glory I'm looking for?

• Members

yeah, if I get a tube head soon, I'm going for Epi valve senior

I don't, then I'm saving up for epiphone blues custom 30 or or Frenzel ac15/jtm or fE3 or Blackheart Bh100h

the blendable channels, etc,etc. For custom amps, it's really a bargain. He basically takes an amp and either cleans it up, or makes it gainier

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Members

I agree that a combo version would be almighty sweet... Nevertheless, this thing plugged through my 2x12 cab with Celestion Greenbacks has a tone I've been digging for quite a long time ;)

a great investment; a keeper !

• Members

I owned a Dual Terror and dumped it. To me the two channels have similar tones with the second having a bit more gain. There is no clean channel and only cleans with the gain turned low so you end up with low volume cleans. So why not make a clean first channel and then have the second channel be a gain channel with a "more gain" button.

Best mini-head I have played and own is the Krank Rev. Jr. Pro. Less expensive, clean channel, effects loop which can add more gain, sweep and presence controls, made in the USA and less expensive.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I think they work quite well with pedals up front, it don't make a difference when the power tubes saturate and that is what these amps are about. The only thing it doesn't do is reverb and I prefer not to have it. You guys must be noobs or something to think these amps don't work well with pedals up front. But hey if you want mic it run it into a mixer with an effects loop and send that to a PA like Eddie Van Halen did if it means that much to you, it sounds great too.

• Members

I think they work quite well with pedals up front, it don't make a difference when the power tubes saturate and that is what these amps are about. The only thing it doesn't do is reverb and I prefer not to have it. You guys must be noobs or something to think these amps don't work well with pedals up front. But hey if you want mic it run it into a mixer with an effects loop and send that to a PA like Eddie Van Halen did if it means that much to you, it sounds great too.

english i learned well in class from teacher. guitar i like to play with pedal and amp to make fun noise.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I owned a Dual Terror and dumped it. To me the two channels have similar tones with the second having a bit more gain. There is no clean channel and only cleans with the gain turned low so you end up with low volume cleans. So why not make a clean first channel and then have the second channel be a gain channel with a "more gain" button.

Best mini-head I have played and own is the Krank Rev. Jr. Pro. Less expensive, clean channel, effects loop which can add more gain, sweep and presence controls, made in the USA and less expensive.

When I bought my Dual Terror I was really worried about the cleans because I read so many negative reviews like this. And it is important to me as I love a good clean channel just as much as good overdrives.

Now that I have it, I am really, REALLY confused as to what the hell everyone is talking about. Either they don't understand how to dial in a tone correctly, or they do not understand how other parts of the signal chain may be effecting their tone i.e their pickups.

I use the Fat Channel for really, really, warm, fat and clean tones. I can have it set without even the slightest hint of breakup, pure clean, and at the same time, be loud enough to hear WELL over the drummer. So much so that I actually had to turn my clean setting down.

Then I switch over to the Tiny Terror for a pretty thick overdrive with slightly boosted volume for lead work.

For those people who like 3 channels i.e clean, overdrive and lead boost, its a pretty straight forward goal to achieve. I simply keep the two channels at the same perceivable volume, one set to a pure warm clean, the other to a nice crunch THEN run a really decent compression pedal in front and have its output level boosted. Engage that and you got a lead boost with a little extra gain on tap.

I think when people review this product they need to spend a lot of time experimenting with it AND take into consideration all sections of your signal chain. THEN decide if its for you or not. If you simply just don't like the tonal character of its sound, that is a completely fair opinion.

I would also like to note that I also didn't get the best of this amp until I switched my cab speaker for the recommended Vintage 30 Greenback.

Archived