What would you pay money for?

incufan7

• Members

Hey guys I just wanted to post this thread to ask this question: what effect would you pay money for that maybe hasn't been made or made well yet?

My friend is an electrical engineering major and we have been developing a few pedals for fun. He does most of the building while I supply ideas and experience with pedals (I've been addicted to them as a guitarist and building them as a hobby for a while now).

Our most recent creation is a tube preamp that is modeled after an existing British 15w amp (not marshall). It would be pushing it to say that this thing is in a beta state (Ie. its not on a pcb yet, just a mess on a circuit building board) but it does play and sound good running into a peavey 50/50 power amp. The problem is it is extremely unstable (sound and sound quality seems to shift around) and we are having to work our way back through the design to find the problem. After that we have to find a way to make the pedal legal and design the pcb. Yeah a lot of work left. But after hearing how the thing sounds we both were curious if something like this could sell. We don't want to mess with power amps if we can help it but we do have some designs for other pre-amps that we want to try in the future. We do this for fun and have never intended on making money off of stuff but the question came up so I figured I would ask here.

Are people interested in boutique pre-amps?

Also what types of pedals are missing from the already over saturated boutique pedal market?

Currently we only have designs for:

Phaser Fuzz: A fuzzface pedal that has the option of adding a phaser in front of or behind it using a nob on the pedal.

Multi Fuzz: Long pedal with three fuzzes (fuzz face, big muff, tone bender) with the option of running one into the other. This is something I just want for my board lol.

Just a curiosity post. Tell me what you think.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

multi fuzz is awesome. don't make it rediculously huge though. i don't want a {censored}in captain coconut. hopefully smaller than the 3 headed monster or camel toe.

I was thinking the size of 3 normal fuzzes right next to each other. Either with 3 vacuum switches or 1 and extra nobs for switching.

We are also trying to develop a harness to be used on the Phaser fuzz that would stack the PCBs on top of one another to save space as that pedal will probably require 3 pcbs. Maybe have the vacuum switch be placed below the pcbs to protect them.

If we can develop this harness it could be used for the multifuzz as well to make the pedal smaller in width. The only downside would be the vertical distance would become larger.

• Members

I was thinking...

A pedal. It has stereo inputs AND stereo outputs. 4 Potentiometers. 2 of the knobs would be volume for each stereo output. The other two knobs would control the blend between the two input jacks and what'd they produce on the output...

Now this sounds interesting. I'm curious of the uses you have in mind and the practical aplication. Would you want to run two different instruments into the pedal and mix them or maybe two different (previously split) signal chains from the same instrument?

• Members
multi fuzz is awesome. don't make it rediculously huge though. i don't want a {censored}in captain coconut. hopefully smaller than the 3 headed monster or camel toe.

im guessing you're thinking about the Boss TU-1000, in terms of size.:lol:

i cant get over that laff-a-box tuner. really. :idk:

• Members

Now this sounds interesting. I'm curious of the uses you have in mind and the practical aplication. Would you want to run two different instruments into the pedal and mix them or maybe two different (previously split) signal chains from the same instrument?

stereo fx that you don't want panned hard L/R? like ping pong delay.

• Members

stereo fx that you don't want panned hard L/R? like ping pong delay.

Ohh yeah, I didn't think of that one.

Haha, what about two distortions being melded together to create a unique sound? Damn.....I think this pedal is definitely going to be built if for nothing other than to attempt to simulate the warp function for amps found on Digitech Multifx. The circuit would be ridiculously simple to lay out as well.

Hell if you want to think even crazier what if it had a mono/stereo input then a built in stereo effects loop terminating with a stereo output.

• Members

Haha, what about two distortions being melded together to create a unique sound? Damn.....I think this pedal is definitely going to be built if for nothing other than to attempt to simulate the warp function for amps found on Digitech Multifx. The circuit would be ridiculously simple to lay out as well.

Hell if you want to think even crazier what if it had a mono/stereo input then a built in stereo effects loop terminating with a stereo output.

Lol, if I started mass making them, how much do you think I'd be able to sell them for?

• Members

pedalidea.jpg

Here is a rough scetch of what I am talking about. You could have a mono or stereo instrument going in to the looper and mono or stereo going out with a true bypass loop that holds your stereo pedals or two separate efx chains that you then mesh together.

• Members

Lol, if I started mass making them, how much do you think I'd be able to sell them for?

Hell if I know. I think most boutique pedals are overpriced so I am not the person to ask (but some of these guys make a living off of these pedals so I don't want to bitch too much).

I would charge around $40-$50 per pedal for something like that. Could be more depending on how well you want to present the pedal to customers (screen printing, custom paint jobs)

• Members

Yes!

Hell I'd buy that stereo thingy and I have no use for it (right now) but it would be cool to have around.

• Members

Yes!

Hell I'd buy that stereo thingy and I have no use for it (right now) but it would be cool to have around.

Just going over how the circuit would be I am thinking the only way the meshing of two pedals together would work is if you went mono out. Wouldn't matter if you went stereo in but there would have to be a redirection switch on the pedal to tell the two paths to converge to mesh stuff together after the volume pots and before the mono output.

With a chain of stereo pedals you would want to go mono/stereo in and then into the loop and stereo out. It would be a stereo looper/warper :D

So the switch would be between mesh mode and true stereo mode.

My picture does not accurately portray how the pedal would work.

• Members
Just going over how the circuit would be I am thinking the only way the meshing of two pedals together would work is if you went mono out. Wouldn't matter if you went stereo in but there would have to be a redirection switch on the pedal to tell the two paths to converge to mesh stuff together after the volume pots and before the mono output.

:cry:

You can't pan the different input across the stereo outs?

• Members

You probably could with some potentiometers... Maybe a push pull toggle to change it from being a straight sound to blend(bypassing with the toggle), and then turn the knob to change the amount of blend? I'm just speculating here. Where's Catalinbread?!

• Members

well to perform the merging of sound the two paths would have to meet and share a common output. Otherwise you just have two different stomp boxes running on two different amps. I am pretty sure it is beyond our capabilities to make a circuit were we bring the two paths together and then have them diverge again to be stereo and not A) lose the stereo processing or B) defeat the merge all together.

So it would basically be a single pedal that can do two things. Be a stereo true bypass looper for stereo pedals (all of which would have to have both stereo inputs and outputs) or be a warper (taking two signals and merging them together into a single output).

Honestly I think you could make some crazy sounds merging lets say a phase signal and a flanger signal. Instead of one running into the other they would both play on top of each other. Would be useful in creating unique dirt sounds too.

Think the warp feature on Digitech MultiFX machines where you can take two amp models and warp them together to make a unique amp sound.

Archived