Come Clean...

Aaron SS

• Members

So with all of this Dano/Paul C debate going on I've been thinking about posing a question to the fine people of HCFX. Here's the scenerio. Say there are 2 pedals that are the exact same circuit yet they are at 2 different price points (lets say $50 and $150). Which would you choose? Are you bothered with having a non boutique pedal on your pedalboard even though it doesnt hold as much value or e-cred at TGP or are you truly interested in pedals for their sound?

Come clean :cop:

• Members

I'd prolly buy both and keep whichever one I liked best. Then again, if the construction was sorta shoddy on the $50, I'd go with the more valuable pedal strictly due to confidence that it will hold up to my fatass jumping on it every night. I got a few "cheap" pedals on my board, doesn't bother me one bit, cause they all serve a purpose.

Edit: Hoping to one day be able to buy the cheap pedal, then build a clone of it from scratch!

• Members

{censored} cred. cred won't make you sound good or keep your wallet nearly as full. wait a year for a pedal that costs $150 or get a pedal within this week that sounds the same and leaves you with 100 bones for other {censored} like your bills.

think about it :idk:

• Members

Okay... my board is pretty much full of "boutique" effects, but I've gotta say -- if it was the exact same pedal, if you plugged it in and achieved the same result... then you'd be an absolute blasted fool not to buy the one that was cheaper. So I'm on that boat, "boutique" or not.

• Members

Okay... my board is pretty much full of "boutique" effects, but I've gotta say -- if it was the exact same pedal, if you plugged it in and achieved the same result... then you'd be an absolute blasted fool not to buy the one that was cheaper. So I'm on that boat, "boutique" or not.

Your post in the Timmy Vs. CTO kinda gave me the idea for this thread... Kinda made me wonder what makes you want to keep the timmy when its shown pretty evidently that the CTO is extremely close? No stabs intended, just curiosity.

• Members

Your post in the Timmy Vs. CTO kinda gave me the idea for this thread... Kinda made me wonder what makes you want to keep the timmy when its shown pretty evidently that the CTO is extremely close? No stabs intended, just curiosity.

A few things...

1. Who do I want to support w/ my money?

2. Without doing the side-by-side myself, I'm not terribly convinced that they're "exactly the same."

3. I hate those enclosures. I could mod it of course, but by that point I'm halfway to a Timmy.

All that said, like everyone else is saying -- sound is king. And going off of that video, I prefer the sound of the Timmy in damn near every spot.

I mean, I have & regularly run a $35 DOD FX-17 next to my $450 delay and $300+ fuzz. Why? Because it sounds the best to me. As does my $300+ fuzz and $450 delay. There's no difference IMO.

• Members

A few things...

1. Who do I want to support w/ my money?

2. Without doing the side-by-side myself, I'm not terribly convinced that they're "exactly the same."

3. I hate those enclosures. I could mod it of course, but by that point I'm halfway to a Timmy.

I have to say, if you have a timmy already and like it I can't see the point of selling one to get the other.

• Members

I have to say, if you have a timmy already and like it I can't see the point of selling one to get the other.

Yeah... I mean, if the Timmy was a $400 BJFE design that'd be one thing, but it's not. Wait time and inflated TGP prices aside, $129 is a great price IMO. And as far as I know, the Timmy is regarded by many as one of the best value "boutique" effects out there -- and for good reason.

• Members

I'm all about the sound. If I can find something cheaper that will last a while, I'll jump all over it. I'll go with the booteek if there isn't another like it or the other similar pedals have serious reliability issues. I'd rather not have to buy the same pedal once every couple years. But all things being equal (within reason) I go for the cheaps so I have more money for more pedals.

• Members

All of my gear is "boutique" per say, and I only got it because it sounded exactly like I wanted and it was at bargain prices.

I went through a lot of pedals to get the precise sounds I wanted, and like a lot of us I started at Boss and slowly moved through the ranges until I found what sounded like me.

I'm not worried about resell value either, I just trade my gear through these forums.

As far as the Dano/Paul C thing is concerned, I would rather support the creator. Paul is a nice bloke and one of us, so I would 100% rather give him my cash any day.

Resale value has never factored into my gear choices. I buy gear to keep, not to sell when I think I'm tired of it.

heheh I buy it to use it until I get really really poor.

Archived